Anybody Get Their 2x To Connect To Linux?

MiniMoose

Has anybody been able to get Linux to connect to their 2X, mount it as a drive and copy files to/from the SD?

Has anybody been able to get Linux to connect to their 2X, mount it as a drive and copy files to/from the SD?
Have you compiled SD card support into the kernel along with usbhid and usb storage?
you should find it somewhere along /dev/usb/something unless you have gnome in which case it should automount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you compiled SD card support into the kernel along with usbhid and usb storage?
you should find it somewhere along /dev/usb/something unless you have gnome in which case it should automount.

Gnome handles automounting? :blink: strange I always thought it was the kernel that handled that (seeing how I don't use gnome) :)

Gnome handles automounting? :blink: strange I always thought it was the kernel that handled that (seeing how I don't use gnome) :)
No newest gnome has a new group which you have to be in "plugdev" enables user handled automounting :)

No newest gnome has a new group which you have to be in "plugdev" enables user handled automounting :)

Oh.. thats handy. Most of the new distros I've come in contact with use subfs and hald for hardware detection mounting/unmounting. But hey thats what makes Linux great..plenty of choices. :)

Can I get An Amen! :D

Most recent linux distros use hal and hotplug to automatically mount usb drives. Gnoem has new features in the last few versions to use hal to mount/unmount drives.

Most recent linux distros use hal and hotplug to automatically mount usb drives. Gnoem has new features in the last few versions to use hal to mount/unmount drives.

Ahh, then theres only one choice... But Hey thats what makes linux great unification :D

Can I get an Am....Nevermind B)

Edit: Sorry for jacking your thread MiniMoose. So we're guessing its not automounting on your machine?

I use xfce. I don't know the right way if there is a right way. I plugged it in, did a dmesg the device.

dmesg:
Code:
SCSI device sdc: 990626 512-byte hdwr sectors (507 MB)
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 990626 512-byte hdwr sectors (507 MB)
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc:
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi15, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg3 at scsi15, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

I get it attached as a scsi device.

mounting
Code:
mount -t msdos /dev/sdc /mnt

I'm not sure what else I can format it to.

I'm using a pre-formated card, and experienced hanging while copying large quantaties of files off although I suspect its to do with the card, I intend to reformat it later :)

If you can transfer to or from the card then there nothing more you can do. If its hanging then its probably the card. not sure if the sync option would help you but it might. :)

@MiniMoose: You need udev, hal and automount.

Most GUI's will have an option to display mounted flash drives, enable that and it should work.

Before all that, kernel has to have USB, SD card, and udev support (modular or in kernel).

No entry is necessary in fstab for this to work, by the way. :)

Hope that helps. . .

KDE 3.5 Handles automounting. But thats still in its early stages. Check it out ^_^

The GP2X registers as USBHID? That mean you can use it as a game controller?

Write the right program I cant see why you cant, there was one similar for the gp32 that allowed yuo to use it as a USB controller..

well, if you hook up some sort of usb controller to the computer and use a usb port monitor to track what information is sent back and forth between the computer and controller you could then use that information to program your gp2x to send out the exact same information through the usb cable so that it would recognised it as a usb controller and would function as such, but you have to properly program it to send the right signals for all the buttons in addition to having it identify itself as a usb joystick too remember. (I only know this because I asked firefly about his gp32 joystick driver and that's pretty much what I was told.)

Back