Anyone Installed An Invisible Shield?

sinoth

Website
Visit site
Just got my invisible shield in from ZAGG (got it on the 50% off Memorial Day sale) and I'm a bit scared of the install. You're supposed to spray the protector with a water-based solution so it goes on better. I can understand this on a device that doesn't have a recessed touch screen, but the Pandora has a bezel that rises up above the touchscreen. The water has no way to escape after being squeegeed out... it'll just go under the bezel and into the device. I dunno, maybe the amount of water is negligible, but I would hate to get water damage and have the touchscreen go out.

So, has anyone installed theirs yet? ^_^ Any tips from people who have used them on other devices?

I've never applied shields that needed solution, but…
Remove the battery and the power cord before spraying the solution; once applied let the pandora dry in a nice and well ventilated area.
Would be what I'll do if I had to.

sinoth said:
Just got my invisible shield in from ZAGG (got it on the 50% off Memorial Day sale) and I'm a bit scared of the install. You're supposed to spray the protector with a water-based solution so it goes on better. I can understand this on a device that doesn't have a recessed touch screen, but the Pandora has a bezel that rises up above the touchscreen. The water has no way to escape after being squeegeed out... it'll just go under the bezel and into the device. I dunno, maybe the amount of water is negligible, but I would hate to get water damage and have the touchscreen go out.

So, has anyone installed theirs yet? ^_^ Any tips from people who have used them on other devices?
That's why they recommend you leave it sit for 24 hours to make sure it dries completely. In practice though, you don't need to use much liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used invisible shields on recessed bezel devices, like the Nokia 770 tablet.
No problems.
Make sure the screen is CLEAN with no lint before applying.
Be very sparing with the spray.
Have some lint free wipes ready to wipe off droplets when you squeegee the film.

And, yeah, remove the battery and wait to dry.
I just do it before bedtime and place it in front of a little fan whilst I sleep.
Its dry by morning.
No worries.
They really are the best shields out there, IMHO

Word to the wise --

I don't know how the TS on the Pandora display is made/etc/so/on, but for PDAs I've done an infinite amount of development over the last 15 years. The way you wreck the TS on a PDA touchscreen is this -- _removing_ a screen protector. Putting them on is an art (keep a credit card handy for pushing out bubbles if its a soft film kind), but the trick is removing them -- especially if its been on for awhile. (Most protectors suggest removal and cleaning every month or two, because they want you to buy more; but in practicve unless you hammer the hell out of them, you can leave them on for months or years. But when you take them off, the things are pretty suckered on there -- if you pull them at a 90 degree peel, then you're essentially pulling directly up on the TS and separating it from the underlieing screen. And what that means is you're creating a very good opportunity to cause displacement in where the touch is registering, relative to wheree you're actually touching it.

And guess what -- when you're applying your screenprot and you get it not quite right, you'll want to peal it off and retry right?

Be gentle -- last thing you want to do with your screenprot is bugger up your TS day one :)

jeff

Also, go to youtube. There are a ton of vids from many differant devices. A lot of the guys give good advice. I've installed invisible sheild on all my electronics, and it just take s a little practice. I've actually gotten some good ideas from youtube.

Just watch a bunch of vids, and see what others are doing. I actually just used a regular peel and install for my pandora, but I did order an IS also, so I may swap out at some point.

Chris

skeezix said:
And guess what -- when you're applying your screenprot and you get it not quite right, you'll want to peal it off and retry right?

Be gentle -- last thing you want to do with your screenprot is bugger up your TS day one :)

jeff
I've never needed to retry. The secret to it is lining up the long edge on it's side to get the orientation right before pivoting it down and onto the device. This you do slowly, bending the sheet somewhat so that you get portions of it down at a time. If you do a halfway careful job of it, you shouldn't ever need to retry.

But that's one of the nice things about the invisible shields, they're not intended to ever be taken off. Since they self heal a bit, the likelihood of needing a replacement is slim. I've never personally had to take one off in all the time I've been using them.

It's a clamshell. If you want to protect the screen, can't you just, you know... close it?

PhillipJ said:
It's a clamshell. If you want to protect the screen, can't you just, you know... close it?
You can't use the stylus on a closed lid ;)

Why do you need to protect it from your stylus? Are you going to be poking at it with a knife or a stick or something? The screen on my n810 looks new and it has no protector or cover. Just a soft case when I throw it in a bag.

Use over time scratches the screen period. and even if you baby it for the rest of it's life there's still the chance of an accidental mishap scratching the screen.

That said I wouldnt be surprised if the reason for the spray is a lack of adherent on the protector to keep it from sticking to strongly if you do need to retry, otherwise it could have been the same as the Hori guard for the DS touch screen. (which is thinner than the type of screen used for the non touch screen guards so that it doesnt effect touch operation.)

PhillipJ said:
Why do you need to protect it from your stylus? Are you going to be poking at it with a knife or a stick or something? The screen on my n810 looks new and it has no protector or cover. Just a soft case when I throw it in a bag.
I've got issues with OCD and if I could get a shield to cover the entire case, that's what I'd be doing. I don't know, the idea of one of my electronic devices getting scratched up the way my GBA is, just gives me sort of an unclean feeling.

EDIT: Coincidentally my shield came yesterday. Hopefully my Pandora comes in less than 2 months.

Code:
I've got issues with OCD

Same here, but getting the protector on, absolutely perfect, and keeping the screen still clean
and then the risk of it not coming of correctly, and this every two months

has much more OCD issues, so i aint getting one

btw are yous protecting it from the stylus or foreign objects
i can understand protectors for tablet type devices, but the ones with clamshell, meh
id be more worried about exposed sd/EXT ports

A look at the touch screen of my original DS is proof that I need a screen protector for my future Pandora. Apart from the large scratch in the screen caused by my fingernails, it is covered in micro-scratches with a patch in the middle absolutely covered in scratches. Thus a (supposedly) self healing screen protector is probably a good idea for my Pandora.

Ok, just tried to install it on my Pandora and it was a pretty harrowing experience. The size is great... fit perfectly. However, I got a few large-ish bubbles the first time that I was unable to squeegee out, so I took it off to reposition (fairly easy if you do it quickly before it 'sets') and I noticed a sort of line on one side that almost looked like a hair. I tried to wash it away in the sink but it just wouldn't go away... not sure if I creased the film trying to squeegee or what. I then tried to do it one more time, positioned it on one side and slowly squeegee'd it on (removing air bubbles as I went) and it looked awesome until I got to the other edge. It was too big! Looks like peeling it off may have stretched it or something, because I had a tiny tiny bit of overlap that made it impossible to get the protector under the bezel. Ugh.

I do think this protector would work fine if you manage to position it correctly the first time and get ALL the bubbles out. Personally, I would not recommend this to a friend because it is a bitch of a process. It also made the screen look glossier and is 'stickier' when touched with the stylus, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing... just different.

Ah well, the purchase wasn't a total loss... it did come with a nice microfiber cloth xD

My shield arrived today (I don't have Pandora yet) and I'm absolutely shocked by the size. I ordered one for Archos 605. Amazing if this is the real screen size. I haven't fully grasped the Pandora's size yet, apparently.

Edit: Sinoth, you might be able to register on Zagg's website. They grant a replacement, IIRC. They might not replace if it was installation-related, though. (At least you didn't ruin the Pandora's screen, right?)

Ollonk said:
My shield arrived today (I don't have Pandora yet) and I'm absolutely shocked by the size. I ordered one for Archos 605. Amazing if this is the real screen size. I haven't fully grasped the Pandora's size yet, apparently.

Edit: Sinoth, you might be able to register on Zagg's website. They grant a replacement, IIRC. They might not replace if it was installation-related, though. (At least you didn't ruin the Pandora's screen, right?)
It really is the right size, just installed mine. Didn't get it absolutely right and I will suffer for it. I don't have really bad OCD, but if you have really don't try to put the protector on, it is way too hard to get it just right. I think it will still make the screen better, the pandora's screen is kinda too rought for me so it's hard to scroll with stylus without being afraid of scratching the screen (I haven't scratched it yet, I just fear that I will)

Ollonk said:
Eh, I think I'll just cut my losses. Won't be trying that again. Also, touch screen seems to be fine :)

Back