GP32 Anyone Working On A New Pcengine Emu?

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Well, I'm spent on my snese emu at the moment, so just wondering if anyone else is actively working on a PCE emu? I know of GPEngine, but I don't think that's been worked on anymore? (Is there any others?)

that's the source of PCEGP which is an older, less complete emulator, however, it gets further in loading Ghouls'n'Ghosts (SGX rom) which GPEngine does not at all

just my 2p!

Mmmm... Looks like it's written under ADS/GPSDK with a bit of hardware hacking in for good measure. Tasty :)

Now, is it worth it? GpEngine seems to be only missing save states. I'll have to see.

Link is here to some source code ;) PC Engine source

If you check the thread here, Flubba showed some interest. Since he has a damn fine PC Engine emulator on the GBA, he might share the source with you.

EDIT: He already has here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
GP Engine doesnt support all roms and different formats like Duo and Super grafx. It would be nice to see iso support - something that Flubba managed to get out of the GBA PC Engine emulator.

Anyway you have the source now, so I leave it in your more than capable hands :)

Yeah, I must say, I'd love it if you came up with an alternative to GPengine; it is a stunning emulator, but I just don't like playing games without saves (with the exception of games like, e.g. Sonic).

Plus which, good as GPe is, it doesn't do SGx (which would be harder, granted, on account of special hardware), nor any PCE-CD games (which are, perhaps, more of a loss). And it does run into glitches here and there. So another emu might well be a worthwhile pursuit :)

That said, GPe is stunning already, and iirc fPCE is still in the works. Basically, I imagine it comes down to whether you'll enjoy writing one :)

Almost positive that Flubba has no plans for creating a PCE emu on the gp, though I could be wrong. Like Tobriand said, the only PCE emu actively being worked on is Rlyeh's fPCE, though I have no clue as to how far he's gotten or if it will be released

Sorry Squidge, but gotta ask- Is the snes emu your workin on for the gp? Any progress?

good luck

found this post that flubba replied to:

No, I haven't tried doing anything for the GP32 yet and I don't think it will happen anytime soon...
DS coming out now, still too many ideas and too little time for the GBA cool.gif
But I really hope someone finds the source usefull and inspiring when they do stuff on the GP32.
go squidge go squidge!

Mmmm... Looks like it's written under ADS/GPSDK with a bit of hardware hacking in for good measure. Tasty :)

Now, is it worth it? GpEngine seems to be only missing save states. I'll have to see.

Link is here to some source code ;) PC Engine source

If you check the thread here, Flubba showed some interest. Since he has a damn fine PC Engine emulator on the GBA, he might share the source with you.

EDIT: He already has here :)

It would be worth it yes. GPengine as good as it is still needs to be run at FS1 or it is slow. some games don't work, or are glitchy like Bonk 2 missing the sprite, background is missing in R-type, and blazing lazers turns to mush after the first boss. Then there is the fact that it doesn't support saves, and has no Super GFX support. From what I heard though there are things that it does better than some PC engine emus that are on other systems though.

And unfortunately FluBBa seems to be reluctant to work on anything other than GBA or DS so no emu from him :(

Also I was wondering, What happened with the Vectrex emu? That looked good, just needed button config, ability to load roms, and sound.

Almost positive that Flubba has no plans for creating a PCE emu on the gp, though I could be wrong. Like Tobriand said, the only PCE emu actively being worked on is Rlyeh's fPCE, though I have no clue as to how far he's gotten or if it will be released

Sorry Squidge, but gotta ask- Is the snes emu your workin on for the gp? Any progress?

good luck

Rlyeh was working on MAME the last I heard. And AFAIK he didn't start fPCE.

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to do a PCEngine emu, and the sources seem interesting. However, thinking about it, I really need to try and do more to Gex, GpLynx, Snese, Frodoz...

I'll have a look at some technical PC engine documentation and see what the hardwares like, and if it seems complicated, I'll probably try and get something else a bit more forward before starting yet another emu.

triksR4rabits: Yes, Snese is for the GP. It's written from scratch, so takes up a lot of time. At the moment, it only runs a few demos and is written in 100% C, although doesn't seem to be that slow.

Hehe, I announce Squidge to be the man with the most unfinished emulators lying around ;)

I can understand that, as I also tend to not finish my stuff...

All I can say is...

GO, SQUIDGE, GO! Having a working emulator is MUCH more pleasant as having a half-finished one! Though coding doesn't make that much fun anymore from a certain point in your project, it's REALLY a nice feeling when you finally release something finished :)

my two cents
i would love to see a more complete emu for PCE for these reasons:
Blazing Lazers don't work (mentioned above)
Music is all messed up in Legendary Axe + a little funny in Vigilante
and of course.. saves

in spite of that, I don't care if we never see anything beyond GPEngine - it's more than good enough. I never have understood why everyone was always so gung-ho about Supergrafx emulaiton - there's like wha, 3 games for the thing, the best of which is Ghouls? Just play the genesis one (not as good, but damn close enough, haha)

Personally I'd love to see the Lynx emu get wrapped up nicely, but i understand the documentation from Handy's not there so I don't expect it. Vectrex would be neat to finish..

basically, anything you feel like working on is more than appreciated. If you're looking for suggestions, heh heh, well someone was talking about the japanese computer X68000 in another thread, but that looks like it'd be quite a task..

thanks again!

Let me revive this thread :)

I've looked through a pile of PCE documents and emu's and now got a load of documentation (chunks from various documents plus my own from various emulators and testing), and something is now working as I can play R-Type :)

It's all written in C at the moment, so it's kinda slow and doesn't contain any sound, but it should now be a good candidate for optimisation, as this version is written from scratch. First thing to do now I think is changing the CPU core to be asm based, and then possibly the rendering/etc.

At the moment, I think it's quite pointless releasing a beta, as there are better emu's around (Eg. GpEngine), but hopefully it will not be too long before this is faster and has more features.

I did think about porting the GBA PCE Emu, but it looks like it could be quite a nightmare to find bugs and the like, and there are a lot of hacks to try and increase speed on the GBA which we hopefully won't need.

Great news Squidge, Wish you the best of luck with the task ahead, And i don`t think i`m the only one.

When do you think you`ll be finished...., I`m kidding :p

Trooper

Thanks :) Although like most (all?) of my projects at the moment, progress is going to slow because I'm working on too many things at once! (Hey, I get bored easily, so like to swap and change between projects :) )

Excellent Squidge, go for it! The Gpengine Emulator is great in my opinion, but i really don't play it that much due to not having any saves, A brand new PC Engine emulator solving the prob would make many people very happy i think :)

@Squidge

cool, a new emulator would be greatly appreciated and PCengine is a cool console....buuuut, what I'm more interested in is the state of your snes emu? When I read you were working on one I almost had a heart attack. The snes is my favourite console by far and the best emulator we have for it at the moment is just a little to slow with sound for me to want to play, hows your one shaping up? You haven't stopped work on it permanently have you? *crosses fingers*

Back