App Development Training Course Project

paulscode

I wasn't sure if this is the proper board for this thread, but it seems right since it is related to Android.

I wanted to let everyone know about a new project I'm working on to create a training course on how to write Android apps. I figure folks who are customizing their Pandora to run Android, might also be interested in learning the skills to write custom apps for it as well. My project will create a complete training course with a course book, exercises, quizzes, test booklet, and answer key, as well as a companion website and support forum. It will be geared toward anyone who is interested in learning how to write professional Android apps, whether they have prior programming experience or not.

Each new topic will first be related to real-world concepts, so they can be understood more easily. Then those concepts will be applied to create a practical, interesting demo app for each subject. By the end of the course, the student will have created several of these demo apps, that they can show off to their friends or potential employers.

I thought I'd see if anyone here has suggestions for topics that could warrant special attention in the book, or ideas for the demo apps that will be created throughout the course. Let me know what you think!

I've also set up a kickstarter campaign to help fund the project, to cover the printing costs and compensate for the time I put into it. One of the fun backer rewards I came up with is a "Will Code Apps for Food" t-shirt. Here is one of the designs I came up with:

tshirt_hobo_sign.png

There are a couple others (see the updates for my kickstarter campaign). I'm also taking suggestions if anyone has a creative idea!

I am still working on this.  The pace will be a lot slower though since it wasn't funded (working on it in my free time instead of doing it full-time like I originally planned).  The module I'm doing first is on writing games for Android.  It will assume experience with Java and XML though (will be working on that module later)

There's no signing up at the moment. I can shoot you a PM when I get it done if you like.

Back