Android "Backend" for Linux?

In my suggestion, he'd need to learn:

• Programming basics
  • Python or any "real-world" useful language
In your suggestion, he'd need to learn:
  • Programming basics
  • BASIC
  • A useful programming language
Indeed, but what's the learning curve on learning the basics in BASIC vs learning the basics in Python? Learning Python after you've learned the basics is a lot easier than learning it as a first language, that should be obvious. Ultimately a sufficiently skilled programmer should be able to pick up any language in the same paradigm in almost no time at all. The important part of learning to program is keeping at it long enough to become that skilled programmer. It doesn't matter if Python is a useful language if the person learning it gets bored with it before completing the course. I'm not saying BASIC is a definitively good language for learning, just that it is one of the many good languages for learning: PandaBAS has a lot of great features that would allow him to really perceive progress. You can learn loops in Python and output a bunch of numbers, or you can learn loops in PandaBAS and display a bunch of pictures on the screen. There's more sense of accomplishment in the latter even though they've actually achieved the same thing, but feeling accomplished is a great way to keep at something.Now it could be that a beginner learning Python will actually have a much easier time than in BASIC in which case they should choose Python. I can't say that, it has been 28 years since I first started learning to program on my Vic20, and I picked up Python in about 30 minutes so I've got nothing to compare it to. The point is that the language you learn on doesn't ultimately matter, it should just be something easy and fun.

I got really good at Applescript a while back, so my struggle is not a conceptual one. Its simply the translations in my head from what I write (#import iostrean) to what it actually means (Computer, allow me to fucking type some goddamn text).
You might like Ruby. It's straight forward like that.

Isnt Ruby also a scripting language? I was hoping to look into sonething more concrete (thats why I tried out Java)

Isnt Ruby also a scripting language? I was hoping to look into sonething more concrete (thats why I tried out Java)
My english regexp must be broken. I'm having trouble parsing this sentence.

If I may ask, any idea in what direction you would like to go? You should go for something you like which supports your strengths! The stuff your talking about is "not that easy" : )

you already have one advantage - you speak native english! Usefull for documentations xD

EssoAir said:
you can also script with Python!! and sry but Java is.... (can you actually call that programming? 90% is copy and paste right?)

anyway, don't let anyone disencourage you! but be aware it will be a lot of hard work

ask your question on IRC. Don't expect large explications thougth

EssoAir said:
so ive been reading up on it. And WOW ruby looks amazing! Thanjs guise!
true,.. Ruby has one big advantage over the others - Rails Girls!!!!  .... he he he : p

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also script with Python!! and sry but Java is.... (can you actually call that programming? 90% is copy and paste right?)
Are you mixing up Java and Javascript? Because it's totally two different things.. Javascript used in web development has turned into a copy and paste fest and since jQuery came out people don't even need to think to throw together a semi-decent web page..

Java while it gets a ton of hate because of web applet security is actually a legitimate language like the C++ and such..

nope, it was ment as a joke xD Cuz you tend to use objects/classes a lot and don't really know how it works... Thats my experience but it was really just a joke and I think it was funny  : D

I took it as a joke on the enormous amounts of boilerplate code needed to graft together the simplest of Java programs :)

Buy C for Dummies written by Dan Godkins. Best coding book for beginners ever. Learned a lot from it :) .

I went through Objective C for Dummies, but as I aaid, reading is a struggle for me. Now, if I had had the writer right there with me so I could ask him questions, that would be great, but since its a stagnant form of media, it was difficult for me to get anything out of it.

Udacitys CS101 course. Good stuff in short video snippets. Browser-integrated dev environment and code checking. Delicious. Python.

C for dummies is very, very, very good written. Good explanations, good examples and after each code a lot informations which are useful with markers next to them (must know, technical deep, optional stuff). I learned with it when I was 15, so come on ;)

I feel dreadfully sorry for anyone that isn't old enough to have learnt to code initially in BASIC. Rest assured, I am working to put that right, and with luck we'll only lose a couple of generations.

D.

I feel dreadfully sorry for anyone that isn't old enough to have learnt to code initially in BASIC. Rest assured, I am working to put that right, and with luck we'll only lose a couple of generations.

D.
I learned the basics of programming via Level I BASIC on my Tandy TRS-80 Model I.. Although how young I was the programs were just basically perverted / low brow Mad Libs..

Even though I was fairly good at quick basic back in the day, I didn't really start to feel like a programmer until at work I started doing server side web programming which then eventually led me to the compiled languages like C/C++ and Java..

Back