Apps For A Photographer

hobbyman II said:
(that's a 64 megapixel image, most cameras don't go that high, 15 megapixel is considered really good unless you are into very high tec photography)

I'm aware of nothing at the moment that would hit 64Mp, current Phaseone MF backs top out at just over 60Mp and the Leaf backs hit about 56Mp. so that "Most" is "none" unless you have some custom built camera, I did read about a custom built LF camera using a flat bed scanner as a back but that only hit 30Mp.

The average for recent SLRs is about 18Mp and most stock sites will not take anything less than 15Mp as an image size, and there is a trend towards competitions (even amateur) rejecting submissions bellow 14Mp. So 15Mp is not considered really good, it's more average, and rapidly becoming the minimum.

BTW any one have a spare £35k to buy me a Hasselblad H4D and lenses? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
liquidphantom said:
hobbyman II said:
(that's a 64 megapixel image, most cameras don't go that high, 15 megapixel is considered really good unless you are into very high tec photography)

I'm aware of nothing at the moment that would hit 64Mp, current Phaseone MF backs top out at just over 60Mp and the Leaf backs hit about 56Mp. so that "Most" is "none" unless you have some custom built camera, I did read about a custom built LF camera using a flat bed scanner as a back but that only hit 30Mp.

The average for recent SLRs is about 18Mp and most stock sites will not take anything less than 15Mp as an image size, and there is a trend towards competitions (even amateur) rejecting submissions bellow 14Mp. So 15Mp is not considered really good, it's more average, and rapidly becoming the minimum.

BTW any one have a spare £35k to buy me a Hasselblad H4D and lenses? :D

But as far as point and shoots go, 15MP is hard to find. Mine is 14.5MP, and I never see any thing close in the shops.

And my 3 year old DSLR (purchased as a cheap refurb about a year ago) is only 6MP. That's good enough for me. :lol:

And as an attempt to return the thread to the original topic, Digikam could probably be made to work as well. It's a generally well regarded photo manager/editor application. There's no package for it in the Angstrom repo, but Debian has an ARM package for it so there doesn't seem to be any reason someone couldn't compile it and put into a PND. I have no idea how usable it'd be at 800x480 or how fast it would run, though.

my info is a couple of years out of date, I have a 7.5 megapixel finepix slr style camera with more options than a share dealer :lol: , works for me, and printing with a mainline (HP) printer, A4 prints look perfect imo, something around 15 megapixel is what I would consider just affordable for an enthusiast, but then, I am a cheapskate, I,m betting most people dont spend more than £200 on a camera (like me), a decent camera is around £400-£500 imo, after that I always considered it Pro equipment.

hobbyman II said:
I think most GIMP plug ins are written in Python IIRC, so UFRAW should "just work"(tm), the other good thing about the Pandora when used with a camera is you can send your photo's to a big PC back home via ssh or e-mail or whatever and have them all post-processed by the time you get back, plus you get a remote backup of your images, so if some scumbag steals your camera/bag or whatever, you at least still have the photos, useful no end if you work professionally.

edit....I don't recall correctly, Ufraw is written in C, but is open source, so recompiling it for Pandora should not be an issue, unless the source uses asm at some point, not that likely.
i love this idea. are you saying that i could have my pandora plugged into my camera then each picture i take would be sent to my home computer via email, or just copying the CF card to the pandora then sending them to my home PC? the only thing that worries me with first is that i would get 800+ emails haha my wife and i are wedding photographers and we take a LOT of photos. we both use canon's, mine is a 10D her a 5D Mark2. (she is better then me, thats why she gets the better camera :D)

sryidc said:
hobbyman II said:
I think most GIMP plug ins are written in Python IIRC, so UFRAW should "just work"(tm), the other good thing about the Pandora when used with a camera is you can send your photo's to a big PC back home via ssh or e-mail or whatever and have them all post-processed by the time you get back, plus you get a remote backup of your images, so if some scumbag steals your camera/bag or whatever, you at least still have the photos, useful no end if you work professionally.

edit....I don't recall correctly, Ufraw is written in C, but is open source, so recompiling it for Pandora should not be an issue, unless the source uses asm at some point, not that likely.
i love this idea. are you saying that i could have my pandora plugged into my camera then each picture i take would be sent to my home computer via email, or just copying the CF card to the pandora then sending them to my home PC? the only thing that worries me with first is that i would get 800+ emails haha my wife and i are wedding photographers and we take a LOT of photos. we both use canon's, mine is a 10D her a 5D Mark2. (she is better then me, thats why she gets the better camera :D )

Why email them, get some hosting space and FTP the photos over wi-fi if it's available, or FTP them strait to your computer if you set up an FTP server at home/office

Back