Appstore Intelligent Search

NLS said:
if ($se =~ /wine/ || $se =~ /Wine/ || $se =~ /WINE/) {
print "Wine will not work on the Pandora. If you are looking for a wine suggesting app, buy an iPhone.<br><br>";
}
Also, what happens if someone does create a wine suggesting app for Pandora?
I'm hoping that, regardless of what special messages might pop up, it still actually performs the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
NLS said:
print "Wine will not work on the Pandora. If you are looking for a wine suggesting app, buy an iPhone.<br><br>";
}
Also, what happens if someone does create a wine suggesting app for Pandora?
I'm hoping that, regardless of what special messages might pop up, it still actually performs the search.

Yes, it does.

zhasha said:
EDIT: oh and use a database! if you do the if ... else if approach you're basically screwing yourself from the beginning
+1

Databases are absolutely essential for everything search-related. Your CPU won't be able to cope with endless if/else clauses, especially if you're using a system like the not-so-fast and interpreted PHP system.

WizardStan said:
NLS said:
}
Problem with regular expressions:
Code:
Search: Swine
Result: Wine will not work on the Pandora. If you are looking for a wine suggesting app, buy an iPhone.

And neat, it coloured my code as if it were code. Anywho, yeah, be careful with your regexs.
well a search engine should respond with more than one result isnt it?
also it is easy to use

tolower instead to get all options

I like this suggestion of having things tied together PXML, I also think the database suggestion is sensible.

One thing I wonder about, does the fact that downloading roms/emulators it isn't 100% clear/built into other systems help the system not get too much stick from various copy right holders, complaining people are downloading 'illegal' roms? I put illegal in quotes as I realize it varies per country, and the law is generally gray - I just wonder if making things *too* easy might cause us problems down the line.

It would be sweet to be able to just type 'Outrun' into the Appstore and have it automatically install the right components and let you play the game from a users perspective. It'd be even sweeter if it worked for that elusive marble madness 2 ROM, that only about 2 people in the entire world seem to have!

Steve

Awakening said:
I don't know what language you're using but it seems pretty pointless to have a case sensitive search. The code should simply operate in lowercase.

+1

A lot of reg ex implementations have a /i or -i or whatever for case insensitive. Is this language missing that?

DroneB Dev said:
also it is easy to use
Yeah, but I'm searching for that great new game called "Swine Flu" that I heard so much about. Why is it talking about Wine and iPhone? It's confusing.
Matches should be complete words, is what I'm suggesting. Tokenize the search string, and look for exact (case insensitive) matches, not expressions.

WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
also it is easy to use
Yeah, but I'm searching for that great new game called "Swine Flu" that I heard so much about. Why is it talking about Wine and iPhone? It's confusing.
Matches should be complete words, is what I'm suggesting. Tokenize the search string, and look for exact (case insensitive) matches, not expressions.
Christ WizardStan, I already told you the solution lies within regex itself. \bsomething\b makes sure you match only entire words; get over it.

zhasha said:
WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
also it is easy to use
Christ WizardStan, I already told you the solution lies within regex itself. \bsomething\b makes sure you match only entire words; get over it.
No you didn't, you edited your post after I had already read it, and was in the midst of responding to a different post. How was I supposed to know to go back and reread it?

searching a phrase "GPH" with "WIZ" intelligent store should answer "Dont try to piss me off" and should reset or crash your pandora and/or firefox.

And "wiz is better" deletes whole NAND with random GPH quotes and promises

BTW.
http://uk.ask.com/web?q=is+jeeves+gay%3F&search=&qsrc=0&o=10181&l=dir&siteid=

I would say incorporate .xml files of the "romlists" in them. That way if someone searches for a game, it will tie into the name of the game, and without supplying the rom, identify the system (or multiple systems if the game was released on a cross-platform basis) to locate the emulator, or at least identify that the emulator does not exist for the system requested.

Searching "Super Mario" would then bring up all the games up to 64, and give relevant emulator locations for download for the NES, SNES, and 64. And then for the roms, selecting to "download the rom" would then pass the query for the name of the proper file through google, and just leave it at that.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/multisysaud/romcenter.html
http://www.romcenter.com/

http://wiki.romcenter.com/doku.php?id=links:datafiles

"rc330.zip\romcenter\datas\Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System (20080712) (CM).dat"
game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) (Rev A)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) (Rev A)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) (Rev A).nes" size 262144 crc ca594ace md5 a64dcbaf95980145d2351850be735461 sha1 ff5bcacf7417b4de1c49f9e54c2905d91391455b )
)

game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe).nes" size 393216 crc 1ed5c801 md5 bb8ab5b5bfd8da09d1872ca684001f4d sha1 31144c7c436cc78d7fd3ac42b224eee3a6c2babc )
)

game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan).nes" size 393216 crc 4c5fa6ef md5 f8dded53be39c303400dcfe7c5b8ec7a sha1 81a456c15296a31ea824a95a032cbf688e81cfdb )
)

game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan) (Rev A)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan) (Rev A)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan) (Rev A).nes" size 393216 crc 52e2b5e0 md5 57715a7f335801da27e6b3d86b0647a3 sha1 e250da736512e431146750cb71feb2c37b327f32 )
)

game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA).nes" size 393216 crc a0b0b742 md5 b76f978ad3076ea67f2b0aca7399c9e9 sha1 a611b90b4833b20a364bf06ee3be3b9093ea4df9 )
)

game (
name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA) (Rev A)"
description "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA) (Rev A)"
rom ( name "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA) (Rev A).nes" size 393216 crc 2e6301ed md5 55b7111567c1709e849c574078699577 sha1 bb894d104c796f69ba16587eb66c0275f5c2fc02 )
)

game (
name "Super Mario USA (Japan)"
description "Super Mario USA (Japan)"
rom ( name "Super Mario USA (Japan).nes" size 262144 crc 80fb7e6b md5 b1046a4efbb22aae7aa82dda552d8efe sha1 867f8f37c10c737af77fbcc8853bf95b9de248ee )
)

Back