Simple Request

'Poem58' said:
Like your one to talk...yes I spaz, and have missing keyboard keys, poor typing and a very rotten time of things lately. And we were talking about how posts seem mean, so I was pointing out his could have been less so and seeing as how the wiki link he sent me says "An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence"

the using it as a pause in speech like I was using it wasn't necessarily wrong now was it....in any case you all can post whatever you want..I'm not coming back. So point of thread well proved...it's relatively easy to chase people away on a messageboard.
B-ZaR's post about using punctuation WAS polite you know, and it's not the first time someone's been asked about their use (or lack thereof) of punctuation, and it probably won't be the last either.

Sure, maybe PoisonedV shouldn't have attacked you like he did, but his point has been proved.... you took a polite request and blew it up out of proportion instead of taking the advice like most others would have. So now you won't be coming back.... your loss.

Amazing really, this is a thread about being polite, and the first time someone actually IS polite in what they were saying, you STILL think it's a personal attack. How bloody polite do we have to get?

In before Chip closes the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poem58 said:
B-ZaR said:
Poem58: Please punctuate your posts correctly. It's very hard to read them because they're like single sentences. Please use periods and commas ("." and "," respectively) to split your text in bite-size sentences. Ellipses ("...", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...) should be used only when appropriate. I'm asking you very nicely. Thank you.

Geez. Really? Just like people having signatures etc. This is just something I formed a habit of doing a long time ago while posting online. It was just faster for me to type like this and set my posts apart from others and because I was tired of people trying to say I had one meaning versus another based on punctuation usage. You know my keyboard has seen better days and since I type hunt and peck with carpal tunnel in both hands I make lots of typing errors too...You are the first person in 4 years to have a problem with it. I don't always do it. Or at least that bad..Maybe it was just cause I have had a bad week that I did it so bad. (Grandfather,massive stroke,watched as he drew his last breath and buried him yesterday) So sorry if I wasn't thinking. I tend to spaz out when I am on the brink emotionally. You are welcomed not to read my post if I do that. Sorry I offended you, and this is the sort of thing I was talking about that is really unnecessary and makes people not want to post.
Worst 5 days of the worst year of my life and I get a punctuation lecture.
You did say you asked me very nicely...more like tried to humiliate me very nicely...also sounds kinda like an "or else" demand...
So I will work on trying harder not to do that and in the future my request to you is that you private message things like this instead of the public wiki link reprimand.
Better yet..I'll just go back to lurking.

As they say, it's all good. Sorry Chip, it was not my intent to derail this topic and I will no longer discuss the one in this post.

Thank you. That's much better. I'm sorry, if I offended you or made you feel humiliated.

White Demon said:
... point has been proved.... you took a polite request and blew it up out of proportion instead of taking the advice like most others would have...

Amazing really, this is a thread about being polite, and the first time someone actually IS polite in what they were saying, you STILL think it's a personal attack.

Ditto. Also, one should perhaps try to lead by example and play nice rather than retaliate.

Just like most forums you'll get newbies not searching and posting the same thing etc. Despite people moaning about it for years all over the world its still going to happen, some people will type only with CAPITALS etc etc.

I must admit there is an image that the gp32x forums have way too many kids who go crazy at you the second you might say something slightly negative about the GP2X or Pandora. Read quite a few posts on other sites that people have given up with this forum.

I've got a GP2X/GP32 and am following the Pandoras progress to see when its released and might order one in the future.

If someone asks a repeat question then just dont go crazy, if someones trying to spam the board with links to some crappy dvd site then yeah flame away.

But perhaps its changed over the last 18 months but this place is known for aggressive emo kids replying too much.

psj3809 said:
I must admit there is an image that the gp32x forums have way too many kids who go crazy at you the second you might say something slightly negative about the GP2X or Pandora.

There is SOME truth to that, though to a degree all boards are self-selecting - more mature, reasoned heads can calm the nature of the board just by being here, but if all "more reasonable" posters go elsewhere because of the hotheads then the density of hotheads here will increase.

Much of the bitchiness - what there is of it (which isn't really THAT much most of the time AFAICS) - is probably down to frustration that we don't actually HAVE our Pandoras yet - I expect the happiness quotient to increase dramaticlaly once the first units start shipping :D

Ta

psj3809 said:
... aggressive emo kids replying too much.
There's certainly no shortage of this at the moment. :(

Monk is correct in saying that there's a reason for some of the tension on the boards. I'm just hoping it actually improves once the first batch is delivered.

Gruso said:
Monk is correct in saying that there's a reason for some of the tension on the boards. I'm just hoping it actually improves once the first batch is delivered.

How could it not? Most of us will be too busy shouting and laughing with joy as we play with what should, quite frankly, be a lot of fun to use almost anywhere we want :D

And once the first 15 minutes has passed, YouTube should sink under the weight of videos showing unboxing, emulation, ported games and hardware modding in action. This could be the event that causes the Internet to finally break... :D

Sorry. Good mood today, I'll try and rectivy it ASAP ;)

Monk said:
White Demon said:
... point has been proved.... you took a polite request and blew it up out of proportion instead of taking the advice like most others would have...

Amazing really, this is a thread about being polite, and the first time someone actually IS polite in what they were saying, you STILL think it's a personal attack.

Ditto. Also, one should perhaps try to lead by example and play nice rather than retaliate.

Agreed.

-God Ginrai

Alright. Now that we've gotten past that without a lock (absolutely AMAZING, I must say), any ideas on what actually might work? We've come up with a couple things (making a good wiki page and the like), but I'm not sure if they'll necessarily work. We could try putting a link to the FAQ above the reply box? In really big letters?

Vorporeal said:
Alright. Now that we've gotten past that without a lock (absolutely AMAZING, I must say), any ideas on what actually might work? We've come up with a couple things (making a good wiki page and the like), but I'm not sure if they'll necessarily work. We could try putting a link to the FAQ above the reply box? In really big letters?

ill ask hando to get right on that
oh wait

'PoisonedV' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

ill ask hando to get right on that
oh wait
A fitting response from you. :D

I know this isn't the most realistic thing, but if he ever comes back to fix the problems, adding in a link to the reply page would be a very quick edit.

Well, after shutting down that idea, do you have anything? (No sarcasm, just legitimately wanting to try to work out a solution.)

(Resolved in PM and large post portion removed)

Back to topic.

I don't know if putting the wiki in big letters is the problem, maybe the new forum should be deleted/merged whatever and that link being BEFORE the forum link should read something like "Before asking a question in the forum look for the answer here" or "Almost everything you could ask about the Pandora" and for that matter each subject could be broken down into forum topics where they could easily be looked at, updated, whatever. Once each topic is posted Chip could lock it. It could be unlocked for updates, otherwise people could just jump over to the active forum to ask something. I believe the key however is to have those big bold letters be something the user sees BEFORE the link for the forum. That MIGHT just get more people to look at that before asking here. Nothing will stop the problem completely, but it's a good use for an essentially dead forum. Then the wiki could be listed on the main page or in place of the other forum as well, still making the info accessable long before someone comes to start posting.

'Vorporeal' said:
There's a difference between a veteran forum-user and a new forum-user. Veteran forum-users will search forums (this applies to veteran users of forums in general, not this one in particular) for the answer to their question before making a new post asking about it. A new forum-user will just post the question and expect to get an answer. It's akin to just dropping your trash on the floor inside buildings because you expect that a janitor will come along later and clean it up for you, instead of holding on to it until you find a trash can. The reason why people get harsh and uninviting responses here is because they treat us as though we are here to answer their questions. They OBVIOUSLY don't search - most of the threads that get hit with the flamethrower are ones that literally have appeared once every day or two. The device isn't even out yet. This isn't an elitist community, it's one that demands that everyone who takes part in it is respectful to others. When a new member of the forum steps out of line for asking AGAIN whether XP will run on the Pandora, they get flamed. It is their responsibility to try to find the information before asking their question instead of assuming they'll be handed the answer on a silver platter. If they ask a thoughtful question or show in their post (in some way or another) that they did actually search the forums or wiki or whatever, they are treated civilly and people respectfully answer the question.

So yeah, before you get on our case about being "elitist assholes", you should try looking at the situation from our standpoint.
^ All I can say is Amen. ^

I am not exactly a newb when it comes to computers. I am the IT guy at Mathis Brothers in Tulsa, OK. I can't wait for the Pandora to come out. I really think Craig and the guys have a bigger problem on their hands when the device launches with people that do get the device and expect to put Windows on it just like their netbook has, then when they can't they want a refund.

I used to work for CompUsa (still would be had the owner not sold the company to Gordon Brothers Group) and I sold a guy a Nokia Internet Tablet. I explained to him in great detail that it was running linux and used an ARM cpu so you couldn't just download any LINUX app it had to be compiled for ARM processors. I also showed him sites that had apps specially ported for Maemo (I think thats the Internet Tablet OS as Nokia calls it). A few days past and the guy brought the device back saying it won't do what he wanted to do. As normal procedure I was to the front to convience him other wise. The guy was trying to load his Microsoft Office onto the device. He had the EXE file on his media card and he was complaining it wouldn't install. Luckly I got him some apps that did similar things and he was happy after that. I am fearing this is the fate of some of the people who buy a pandora (mainly when it goes more main stream). Coming to the forum because X app won't work or X game won't work, just to find out they have an X86 coded linux program or game, or worse of all they are trying to install a Windows OS program on the Pandora.

All I can say is good luck.

Vorporeal said:

Neatly sidestepping the entire Hando issue, I would suggest this:

1. Discuss WHAT to do and HOW to do it the bare minimum, and instead just DO some of it. Wikki editing for example should in theory be easy to just DO, and we'll get a lot more done by doing it than by setting up an international committe. IMHO.

2. Ignore what we can't do and concentrate on what we can - leave what is out of our hands as a side issue. Personally I think the Wikki/FAW should be directly linked to from the OpenPandora front page, and we should request that if it isn't prominent enough (which IMHO it isn't).

3. Recognise that whatever we do, people will STILL ask inane questions. It's inevitable. We can't change the world, we can at best change how we deal with it. Perhaps those of us with less volatile natures (not me) can endevour to answer "newbs" first, politely, and informatively. That would do a lot I suspect to stem the tide of anger-filled threads. Ideally a pre-formatted copy-and-paste "You will find your answer HERE" with a link to the relevant part of the Wikki. Alas, until the board gets fixed that link will be best posted in code tags, but at least we'd be trying.

Ta

[quote name='Monk' date='Apr 23 2009, 08:14 AM' post='722658']
[quote name='Vorporeal' post='722617' date='Apr 23 2009, 04:39 AM'] 3. Recognise that whatever we do, people will STILL ask inane questions. It's inevitable. We can't change the world, we can at best change how we deal with it. Perhaps those of us with less volatile natures (not me) can endevour to answer "newbs" first, politely, and informatively. That would do a lot I suspect to stem the tide of anger-filled threads. Ideally a pre-formatted copy-and-paste "You will find your answer HERE" with a link to the relevant part of the Wikki. Alas, until the board gets fixed that link will be best posted in code tags, but at least we'd be trying.
[/quote]

oh my god, someone actually understood what I was saying and wasn't trying to argue with me about it :D

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
face it
everything is gonna be this problematic until the pandora actually gets released
sad but true

True. Unfortunately, it will probably be even worse after release, as we will almost certainly have people coming here and asking "how do I plug this into my PC/install applications/CAN'T GET MS WORD WORKING WHAT'S WRONG?"

Easily-accessible documentation will help to some extent, but there will always be users who just don't read it or search the forums. Maybe on the new board we could have a "Complete Beginners" section, the way the Ubuntu forums do...

Back