April Fools' Joke?

Blue Protoman

Has anyone in the Pandora dev team (or even the community surrounding it) ever pulled a large prank on the rest of us? Even in the Dark Ages, when we only had the GP2X? The open source console scene's been around since 2005 or so, there's been plenty of chances.

Until (at least all batch 1) units have been shipped to customers, the whole project is an April Fool's joke in very poor taste!

If I'm not completely senile (which, OTOH, is a very real possibility), the very first official mention of this very project was in the form of an aprils fools. I.e. On 1:st of april 2008(?), someone posted a thread that Craig, ED and some others were fed up with dealing with GPH and was going to make their own console, with keyboard for retro nuts, touchscreen, running linux and whatnots. And everybody went "WOOOOT!!!" and "WHAAAAT?!?" and then noticed the date and went "Oh, well, good one". A few months later, we got something along the lines of "Well, you guys, remember that aprils fools post we made? Well, we have news for you..."

At least, that is how I remember it. Given that this was more or less concurrent with the dinosaurs walking the earth, my recollections are a bit shady. Somebody with more reliable synapses might be able to fill in?

If I'm not completely senile (which, OTOH, is a very real possibility), the very first official mention of this very project was in the form of an aprils fools. I.e. On 1:st of april 2008(?), someone posted a thread that Craig, ED and some others were fed up with dealing with GPH and was going to make their own console, with keyboard for retro nuts, touchscreen, running linux and whatnots. And everybody went "WOOOOT!!!" and "WHAAAAT?!?" and then noticed the date and went "Oh, well, good one". A few months later, we got something along the lines of "Well, you guys, remember that aprils fools post we made? Well, we have news for you..."

At least, that is how I remember it. Given that this was more or less concurrent with the dinosaurs walking the earth, my recollections are a bit shady. Somebody with more reliable synapses might be able to fill in?
I remember reading that somewhere, myself. Can't remember where, though.

does one freaking day go by where you arn't posting another new thread... I mean really.... come on man!

but on topic... OP ltd have lost their april fools day joke permissions for a while. I don't think it's been enough time to where they can laugh about this situation, especially while there are still some that are upset about the past 2 years.

I think you're right, but it must have been before 2008 (probably 2007), since IIRC the first renders (and maybe some official specs?) were unveiled in Dec. 2007. Well before that, though, there were threads in the GP2X boards where people discussed hardware for a GP2X successor - I distinctly remember at least one poll. Nothing as powerful as the OMAP we eventually got, though.

Has anyone in the Pandora dev team (or even the community surrounding it) ever pulled a large prank on the rest of us? Even in the Dark Ages, when we only had the GP2X? The open source console scene's been around since 2005 or so, there's been plenty of chances.
You don't happen to be playing "I'm posting so you're pain' andtension" again?

No, not at all. I'm absolutely 100% almost certain about that. *warning others*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back