Arcade/MAME controllers

Fzero

Advanced Member
Does anyone by chance know anything about the Scorpion XG-2 controllers?

Specifically, I'm wondering:

- Could this be opened up easily enough, likely to have screws rather than glued shut?

- Assuming it could be opened, would there be enough room inside for HDD etc, to make it a standalone unit which could simply be connected to a telly/monitor?

I'd like that sized controller, with all the gubbins inside of it.

Just wondering if there's likely to be room in there, alongside all the wires and whatever else is already inside this thing...

edit:

http://www.digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk/shop.php?action=full&id=16

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this image, it appears to be glued. I couldn't find anything of the bottom, though

vIRCK.png

Yes, wondering if I could prize that open ... then re-glue it again after.

Got no woodwork skills at all, or any woodwork tools really, so really would like something like this, already cut and all the button holes in place. Guessing swapping out the buttons for better ones would be easy enough [once opened up the box of course]. If I could cram a HDD and m/board into it, would be ideal I think

Turn it into a plug and play MAME box ?

Awesome idea . Mind if I build them and sell them ?

Yeah that's basically what I want, this form factor, ready to plug-and-play into a telly, ideally with an HDMI port.

I'd buy one for a fair price

But would you mind if I STOLE your idea , built them and sold them ?

I was going to build and sell MAME mini cabinets ( 200 - 300 usd $ ) I found a local gamestore willing to sell them for me and these would be cheaper to make then mini cabinets

I'm sure I'm not the first person to thought of this so I'm not claiming intellectual property or anything like that ;)

feel free to build them I say, sell as many as you can.

just a shame you in the US then as shipping would be too much, else I would've probably been your first customer.

if you do make them though, up some details yeah and let us see how they looking

There was a stand last week in a shopping centre near me that was selling mini arcade machines and the cocktail table machines with something like 60 games on each. Probably just a small pc board running mame.

My current plans are to mod an XArcade tank stick, adding in a Pandaboard and some other stuff if there's room.

(Except the pandaboard pisses me off so much, bad driver support and it overheats. If the pandora had hdmi out I'd buy a second one and use that as the internals)

Didn't look into that controller, but someone has to say:

I would like to note that selling a MAMEbox would be pretty darned illegal; mind you, these come out of China and so on at an alarming rate, and peopel buy them.. but just saying.. if you happen to be in the US say, and build and sell these, expect a black windowless van to take you to a cold windowless cell ;)

I should also note the MAME license itself: "Redistributions may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial product or activity"

Course, you can 'supergun' it; buy a pirate multiboard arcade board (60 games in one, 200 game sin one, or even full mame on pcb units with like 3000 games in one.. for just a couple hundred bucks.) Those even have tv-outs on them; you slap a control onto it and call it a day, etc.

anyway.

edit: Also, yeah as noted above.. making a mame cabinet is not hard; buying a mame cabinet is not so expensive; converting an arcade machine into a 'emu cab' is easy too these days, not like 20 years ago when it was murder :)

Also see such KS projects as the Picade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I didn't realise Mame had such strict license conditions.

Q. Can I put an arcade cabinet running MAME in a public location?
A. No. This this a commercial use of MAME and is prohibited by the license. Even if you don't charge money, putting a machine in a public location is "operating" an arcade machine and falls under commercial rules in most locations.
They even count using it in a purely non commercial way as commercial use.

Then again, they probably did that to protect themselves from being sued to hell.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FZERO" data-cid="209214" data-time="1356213935"><p>

I'm sure I'm not the first person to thought of this so I'm not claiming intellectual property or anything like that ;) <br />

feel free to build them I say, sell as many as you can.<br />

just a shame you in the US then as shipping would be too much, else I would've probably been your first customer.<br />

<br />

if you do make them though, up some details yeah and let us see how they looking</p></blockquote>

Ok now to go buy a pile of original Xboxs ( cheap , plentiful , powerful enough to run PAC man and galaga )

Back