The Ultimate Mod For The Portable Consol That Begs To Be Modded...

IcoNyx

Still Fresh
ok, this is one that I intent to actually do. I repeat; I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS.

I have been reading this and a couple of other forums and I have come to the conclusion that the gp2x is just BEGGING to be overhauled.
"How so?" :blink: you ask? <_< well immagine this:

first we modify the plastics...
plastics custom formed to fit in the palm of the hand, with increased interior capacity and formed to fin in the hands while gameing more comfortably. most of the changes here would be to the back plastics, increase the batery compartment height, imagine a compartment made for 4 bateries instead of only 2... got that image? Next increase the depth on the sides where the hands curve arround the console giveing the player more finger room, this will help with "gamers wrist". then after all that, change the plastics color, black, green, blue, clear, the-morning-after-out-drinking-the-fattest-chick-in-the-bar-and-wakeing-up-next-to-her-then-barfing-your-guts-out-yellow, whatever.
"So now that Ive changed the plastics, then what?" you ask. well then now that we've added some space to the back of your consol and we've over hauled the face, we can now easily and CLEANLY add the little amenities to the device you've always wanted...

take all of this:

(USB mod, AND for adding an internal HDD) http://www.spritesmods.com/?art=gp2xusb
(really tiny internal HDD as seen in the iPod or Creative vision M) http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T30MK3006L
(D-pad mod) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36029
(iTrip mod, for PSP, I know, but concept is easy enough to dupe here) http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/put-a...r-psp-09131016/

and put it all INSIDE your gp2x!!! B)

just imagine it: a GP2x with a 40gig hard drive, built in, a NORMAL and COMFORTABLE grip complete with a normal D-pad, and to beat it all down, an internal audio broadcasting device to negate the need for wires when you go on that road trip. and whith that extra space in the back you could even throw in an nice little lithium Ion or MiMh battery for upwards of 3~4 hrs of running time.. in short, the Portable Media Player from HELL!!! gp32_console

Last edited by a moderator:
He registered on April Fools' Day, made 1 post, and now he's in Purgatory :lol:

lol...

though i have been thinking about the possibility of adding a nice and tiny hdd. but then again, you would need to supply power to it and do a lot of complicated crap. I'd rather stick with sd cards for the moment.

as silly as this idea sounds... it could work. i didnt think the game gear was too large. the nomad MAYBE. i would love to see a gaming handheld built a bit bigger than the gp2x with more internal space for modding (or official expansions)

ok, Im back out of pergatory, it was because of my links so I guess Ill NOT be supplying links unless absolutely necessary. <_<

anyway, on to the project!

I have decided to use a process of vacume molding to make the replacement plastics, but I need something to work from, anyone know where I can get my hands on a NONWORKING unit? :huh:

I must reiterate, NONWORKING! I dont want to be tearing into an actual working unit that I would be tempted to play with, I may actually fall in love with it and thus risk loseing confidence and screw it all up. :unsure:

I plan to take the unit apart and make a clay mold of the internals, then I can take that mold and add clay to the parts where I want to expand the unit, I used to be a good molder but if I screw it up, I can always machine it a bit. mainly the only place I want to make the changes for now is the back plastics.

Ultimately I will change the face as well to add a batery status indicator and some facia for the itunes LCD. and of course to acomodate a Dpad mod that is physically SCREWED to the face. also it'd be cool to mould the front plastics as one solid flat clear plate, then you can use a standard screen protector (probably the one for the PSP cut down would work fine :D ) and then you can stop worrying about those weak screan covers... but that can wait.

anyway, sorry to ramble, anyone want to sell me their broken/fried/NONWORKING gp2x? :)

yeah, I looked into this as well, but Im not sure I like the outward curve of the thing...

EDIT: asci art does not work in this forum...

IcoNyx said:
ok, this is one that I intent to actually do. I repeat; I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS.

I have been reading this and a couple of other forums and I have come to the conclusion that the gp2x is just BEGGING to be overhauled.
"How so?" :blink: you ask? <_< well immagine this:

first we modify the plastics...
plastics custom formed to fit in the palm of the hand, with increased interior capacity and formed to fin in the hands while gameing more comfortably. most of the changes here would be to the back plastics, increase the batery compartment height, imagine a compartment made for 4 bateries instead of only 2... got that image? Next increase the depth on the sides where the hands curve arround the console giveing the player more finger room, this will help with "gamers wrist". then after all that, change the plastics color, black, green, blue, clear, the-morning-after-out-drinking-the-fattest-chick-in-the-bar-and-wakeing-up-next-to-her-then-barfing-your-guts-out-yellow, whatever.
"So now that Ive changed the plastics, then what?" you ask. well then now that we've added some space to the back of your consol and we've over hauled the face, we can now easily and CLEANLY add the little amenities to the device you've always wanted...

take all of this:

(USB mod, AND for adding an internal HDD) http://www.spritesmods.com/?art=gp2xusb
(really tiny internal HDD as seen in the iPod or Creative vision M) http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T30MK3006L
(D-pad mod) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36029
(iTrip mod, for PSP, I know, but concept is easy enough to dupe here) http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/put-a...r-psp-09131016/

and put it all INSIDE your gp2x!!! B)

just imagine it: a GP2x with a 40gig hard drive, built in, a NORMAL and COMFORTABLE grip complete with a normal D-pad, and to beat it all down, an internal audio broadcasting device to negate the need for wires when you go on that road trip. and whith that extra space in the back you could even throw in an nice little lithium Ion or MiMh battery for upwards of 3~4 hrs of running time.. in short, the Portable Media Player from HELL!!! gp32_console

<_< Maybe you want a laptop computer, or a pocketPC?

reiboul said:
I have a laptop, and as for pocketPC... Ill have to inform you I dont own a single object that runs A micro$haft craplication... people at work torment me with vista logos and every day I think forward to the day I scoop their eyes out with sporks... Hck, even my xbox runs linux for crissakes!

but anyway I digress, you cant deny that a gp2x with an internal 40gb hdd would be cool.

unless your retarded... in which case I suggest you go buy a PSP like the rest of your mentally challenged peers.

If you do this and you success, I'll call you Mr Hardware - OK?
Hope you try this, cause I want to know, whether it's doable. I want a HDD, too (maybe 5-10gb would manage it), and I will start modifying, when you got your GP from Hell :) ....

stay
cheesey

IcoNyx said:
reiboul said:
I have a laptop, and as for pocketPC... Ill have to inform you I dont own a single object that runs A micro$haft craplication... people at work torment me with vista logos and every day I think forward to the day I scoop their eyes out with sporks... Hck, even my xbox runs linux for crissakes!

but anyway I digress, you cant deny that a gp2x with an internal 40gb hdd would be cool.

unless your retarded... in which case I suggest you go buy a PSP like the rest of your mentally challenged peers.

OK, a 40gb hdd is cool, but please make some retarded poeple laugh, by showing what a GP2X will look like after you put a hard drive and a battery inside ;) (large enough to last 4-5h)

on the subject of laptops and batteries, would a laptop batterie power the gp2x and a break out board at the same time and for how long?...just a thought ..... :blink:

rokdcasbah said:
i think you meant to say, "you're retarded" as in "you are retarded"
yeah, in the words of a good buddy of mine: typeing to fast fro myown good. :p

If you do this and you success, I'll call you Mr Hardware - OK?
Hope you try this, cause I want to know, whether it's doable. I want a HDD, too (maybe 5-10gb would manage it), and I will start modifying, when you got your GP from Hell ....

Oh I WILL do this, I will... you see the thing tasks me. It tasks me, KingCheese, and I will have it.

OK, a 40gb hdd is cool, but please make some retarded poeple laugh, by showing what a GP2X will look like after you put a hard drive and a battery inside (large enough to last 4-5h)

now now, you are reading the gp2x forums, you cant be TOTALLY retarded , but in all seriousness, I plan to remove the AA bateries and replace them with a more power specific soloution, what I was considering useing a LiOn or even a NiMH battery rated for the specific power requirements of the GP2x PLUS the HDD. in theory if I were to use a PSP (bwarf) battery or even an iPod battery it would work perfectly seeing as how both these bateries are already designed for this type of operation. noteing I would have to also change the power connector as te power usage would be entirely diferant... but then, I wasn't an appretice jorneyman electrition for nothing. Im pretty sure I can deal with all that.

anyway, in the end I think I can rebuild this thing with a battery compartment the same size if not SMALLER than the existing one! I wish I could show you a proper picture, but let me put it like this, you have seen an xbox360 controller right? you know how there is a battery compartment in the center and then the sides are buldged out for the grips? imagine that only (a ) not so pronounce (b ) not haveing that outward angle at the base. all in all I think I can do this without adding to the overall dimmensions, but rather by simply extending the sections that arent as thick... clear as mud?

on the subject of laptops and batteries, would a laptop batterie power the gp2x and a break out board at the same time and for how long?...just a thought .....

I know where you are going with that one fatdad, and I can say with confidence, yes, a laptop batery will do what you are thinking, however (a ) that would be one fugly lookin' beast of a frankenstein (b ) you would have to build a VRM (voltage regulator module) to lower/alter the amperage/wattage from the battery for the bob and a totally seperate one for the GP2x, that thing would end up a beast of a creation, on the ilk of a fanboy made "borg" creation. you would be better off building a seperate power and connection system for the bob.

Ultimately My goal is to add the needed hardware for a mass storage device only. in the end the final device should not be any larger than the existing model, it should look like it was engeniered by gamepark holdings to look as it does... ie: though it isnt, it should LOOK stock. I believe I can do this. the device already has plenty of space in it, I just want to add a little more and fill it with a hard drive. with a hard drive, I can put more than 2 gigs worth of music and video in the thing and make it a worthy Personal Media Player.

BTW: Im still looking to purchase a broken gp2x.

isn't there ANYONE who can direct me to a nice little repository of broken gp2x's?

IcoNyx said:
Ultimately My goal is to add the needed hardware for a mass storage device only. in the end the final device should not be any larger than the existing model, it should look like it was engeniered by gamepark holdings to look as it does... ie: though it isnt, it should LOOK stock. I believe I can do this. the device already has plenty of space in it, I just want to add a little more and fill it with a hard drive. with a hard drive, I can put more than 2 gigs worth of music and video in the thing and make it a worthy Personal Media Player.
Yeah but its already too big to fit in a cupholder. That's really the main feature I'd look for in a music player :)

Of course, projects like these don't always have to be practical...as long as they're fun.

I wouldn't worry about breaking it, however you should PM craigix or evildragon and see if they have one with a hardware defect that they'll sell to you at cost or cheaper. But I wouldn't expect it to be that much cheaper since the mfg cost is still over $100 (just guessing there, but it seems to be that way).

rokdcasbah said:
Yeah but its already too big to fit in a cupholder. That's really the main feature I'd look for in a music player :)
I never really thought about that... you know I AM going to completely retool the console, theoretically I could ditch the little "lip" on the base of the unit (where the power and battery light are) Im thinking, if I do things right, it may fit better in a cupholder... but ither way in the end I am going for a look that says, "I was meant to look like this" and not the "freankenstein" look you typically get with these kinds of mods. :huh:

rokdcasbah said:
Of course, projects like these don't always have to be practical...as long as they're fun.
And what could be more fun that makeing an already great product better? :D

rokdcasbah said:
I wouldn't worry about breaking it, however you should PM craigix or evildragon and see if they have one with a hardware defect that they'll sell to you at cost or cheaper. But I wouldn't expect it to be that much cheaper since the mfg cost is still over $100 (just guessing there, but it seems to be that way).
yeah, I PM'd both now I am just waiting for a reply. I hit e-bay and did a general search, someone on this forum was selling one the otherday but I missed it, I posted anyway but I think I was a day to late.I want to work from a broken model because if I screw it up I wont feel bad as opposed to if I start with a working model and then I'd feel bad because Im out $200 :unsure:

ok, I ordered my working gp2x, and I THINK I have procured some plastics to work with ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35838 ) I'd LIKE to have a full unit, but Im not about to be picky. :p

now that I have hardware ion the way its time to set my sights on to plastic forming... I have decided Ill make a proper cast of the original plastics useing a stantard plaster casting technique, I have a ceramics shop in town that has offered to assist me with this step. once I have the cast, the molding of the plastics will be the tough part.

I have several choices:

I can use a vacuum mold technique ( http://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/vacuform.htm ) but the problem here is that the plastics used in this process would be thin and invariably weaker/inferior I am trying to get info on a possible milling or casting technique, but info is scarce... I may end up going to some pro plastic forming shop on this one (grrr :angry: )

I applaud your determination but theres no way this is going to work out...

Back