Are Nintendo Crazy?

C

codeninja

Many Sony lovers here may think I'm a hardcore Nintendo fanboy who bashes Sony stuffs for living. Well not, at least IMO. B)

Anyway, have you heard of Blue Ocean strategy? It gets bizzare, and I'm kinda losing what they're trying to do, or I see that they're about to make quite a leap of faith that may lead to their own demise.

Chime in with your 2 cents about Blue Ocean and Red Ocean idea, if you care.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/kaplan-ta...tion-153312.php

who cares, just sit back and wait, and get the machine for a laugh in 5 years time when it's either popular or out of date and cheap as chips.

i've made many a mistake paying full price for a console and it being worth nothing in a years time.

Sounds like the same strategy they are using with the DS, and that seems to be working great for them. True the handheld and home markets are not the same by a long shot, but time will tell. Im going to buy one just for the downloadable classics.

A year ago I would have said 'no' but I thought they were crazy when the DS was announced and yet I play that more than anything else right now. So I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I think 'Revolution' might be a bit of an exaggeration but if there's enough new stuff done well there they could do alright for themselves.

we knew about this strategy when nintendo first admitted it wasn't going to go into the 'biggest and best' race against the others this time around. They're just going to create a market sitting right between TV games and $uper Con$oles--pretty much where their gamecube is sitting right now, but instead of going for the same type of games, it will go for other types of software.
how is this news?

Especially since Nintendo created most of the markets in gaming to start with.
wake me up when Nintendo starts talking about the "evolution" then I'll start caring.

I agree. this isnt news, they said they were aiming for a non-gamermarket from the get go. Saying things like they were going to try to pull in people who wouldnt normally pick up a game controller but now just as it was then, this supposed masterplan is very weak on details.

The only way nintendo can bring an "evolution", Revo or otherwise, is to create something that isnt recognizable as gaming. I'm talking interactive movies of some kind or audio games with no graphical component (of course neither of these examples are revolution ary in anyway as they already have been tried by various developers). The problem is if they're going to do something like this they will need to shed the image of a "game company" and become a Media company and they can't do that in a single generation.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 9 2006 at 01:08 AM said:
The only way nintendo can bring an "evolution", Revo or otherwise, is to create something that isnt recognizable as gaming. I'm talking interactive movies of some kind or audio games with no graphical component (of course neither of these examples are revolution ary in anyway as they already have been tried by various developers). The problem is if they're going to do something like this they will need to shed the image of a "game company" and become a Media company and they can't do that in a single generation.
Why would they need to do that? They just want to make games more accessible and, at the same time, offer a fresh, unique way to interact with the games (instead of just a prettier image and better sound, which is all the competitors are offering).

Nintendogs is a perfect example of Nintendo's successful reach to non-gamers. For example, my girlfriend, who has no interest whatsoever in video games, wants a DS for that game alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
which you will buy and she will play for a week and never touch again.

Thats what my wife did, wasted $70 becasue i bought 2 for her.Big mistake and i won't buy her another game no matter how much she wants it.

Angel posted on Feb 10 2006 at 09:33 PM said:

Thats what my wife did, wasted $70 becasue i bought 2 for her.Big mistake and i won't buy her another game no matter how much she wants it.

me neither, got scammed into buying nintendogs and nightmare before xmas both were played for a few hours then never touched again, she even had the cheek to ask for ds for xmas just for animal crossing, even though we live together, i have a ds, and animal crossing!

shinneri posted on Feb 10 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Feb 9 2006 at 01:08 AM said:
Why would they need to do that? They just want to make games more accessible and, at the same time, offer a fresh, unique way to interact with the games (instead of just a prettier image and better sound, which is all the competitors are offering).

Okay, let me make very clear that it was Nintendo who first uttered the words "paradigm shift" or "evlolution" I'm only repeating the apprent goal they;ve set for themselves.

You make gameing more accessible by making it easier to get into, it's that simple, Personally I think they may be over selling their attempts which can only lead to a let down amoungst regular gamers and at the same time they're risking NOT gathering enough new non gamers.

Angel posted on Feb 10 2006 at 02:33 PM said:

First of all, I'm not defending Nintendog, it's just ok and I didn't play it for more than an hour before got bored. Having said that, isn't it true that we rarely play games that we buy for more than a week, anyway? Probably, Advanced Wars DS was the last game that I played for more than a week which was 6 months ago. Since then, I played many other games including MarioKartDS, CastlevaniaDS, SonicRush, and Ninja Gaiden Black. They were most great games, but didn't last more than a week.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 10 2006 at 05:14 PM said:
Okay at let me make very clear that it was Nintendo who first uttered the words "paradigm shift" or "evlolution" I'm only repeating the apprent goal they;ve set for themselves.
I think you're missing the point when Nintendo uses the word 'Evolution'...
when they start saying it again, I will start caring about them. But I haven't heard about it since last E3.

there's still one graphics race that nintendo can win, afterall.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
You make gameing more accessible by making it easier to get into, it's that simple, Personally I think they may be over selling their attempts which can only lead to a let down amoungst regular gamers and at the same time they're risking NOT gathering enough new non gamers.
Well, indeed that's very possible. Anytime you try to change what your customers want, you're taking a huge risk. I just dispute them needing to shed their image and become a "media company." People generally aren't against games; they just think they're "too hard" or "too complex," and much of the time this IS in reference to the controllers. So Nintendo's appealing to those people with their simple, (probably) intuitive Rev controller.

I guess there's a chance they're risking loss of regular gamers, but I think Nintendo's been in the business long enough to know not to alienate such an important group.

Well my meaning with "media company" is more of an all purpose term. I was suggesting that they would need to drop the "game company" image and be mroe of an entertainment company because the association with games is more likely to hinder their attempts to draw newcomers. If you;re just getting into "games" why go with the 3rd place holder? You need to show an image that you're somehow more than that and the new system should be all over the media if they expect to make an impression to people who arnt already conviced they're the best things since circular transportational assisting devices.

I will say they are wise in making the system backwards compatible though, I mean if anything will appeal to regular gamers but I don't know if it's enough to make a differeance.

Also: a new game lasts more than a week unless you have more pressing matters. A good game will keep you interested for 2 weeks a GREAT game will keep you comming back for a MONTH (provided you havent beaten it and even then you'd keep playing it if you liked it enough.) The only time I've ever abandonded a game after a week is if I got a new game right after or if the game itself sucked. Barring those two reasons I'd always be looking for a chance to get back to it.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
Also: a new game lasts more than a week unless you have more pressing matters. A good game will keep you interested for 2 weeks a GREAT game will keep you comming back for a MONTH (provided you havent beaten it and even then you'd keep playing it if you liked it enough.) The only time I've ever abandonded a game after a week is if I got a new game right after or if the game itself sucked. Barring those two reasons I'd always be looking for a chance to get back to it.

Most games have 20~30 game play hours with except of RPGs with 100 hour gameplay. When I like them, I play them 2~3 hours a day or more. Hence, I can beat most of games in a week without much trouble. If I don't like the game much, I play it much slower pace except I quit well before I see the end of the game. For me, replaying the same game is EXTREMELY rare no matter how great the game is. Therefore, a week lifespan for a game ain't bad in my book. Heck, I pay $20 for a 2 hour long movie, so games are still one heck of entertainment value to me. ;)

For me, a game can only be good if I actually want to play it again, and, to be honest, there are many games that I do play multiple times. Actually, there are more than a few new games I've bought that haven't been touched yet because I keep replaying my old games. :p

Back