1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Are the 4G modem specs final ? (France: My operator uses 700/1800/2600)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Umberto, Jul 10, 2017.

1. benoitb

benoitb Very Active Member

Real reason I learnt from people involved in the frequency attribution process is that allocation for the LTE 700 band was rushed to allow a quick cash grab during Hollande's presidency.
    I expect LTE on 700 will become a reality in other European countries as well, France is just early on this one.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Original Post Date: Jul 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM ---
    As far as I know, GSM is only available on 900MHz and 1800Mhz.

GSM(2G), WCDMA(3G) are capable of circuit switching. LTE(4G) is packet switching only. The first generations of LTE phones (before introduction of VoLTE) had to fallback to 3G (or 2G) to establish a voice call. My LG G2 works that way, the Pyra's modem will also work that way if you try a voice call.

Modern devices on networks where VoLTE is deployed can have voice calls on LTE, using packet switching.

As the Pyra is still not out but using already aging components, the modem is already outdated for French mobile networks. So it's your decision to choose the modem version (that will still work on 3G most probably at least) or to use a phone as a router.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 2:40 PM
  2. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

IIRC the character limit was due to SMS transiting on the cell carrier signal. Pretty interesting since SMS weren't by design, an enterprising network engineer simply figured out he could do that and look at them now.

3. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

When I receive (and probably send) long messages they get broken up. I am using a Photon Q/Ting combination. For smileys I still stick to the classics. ; ) ;)
    Sounds right that a network engineer found a way to add functionality and make everything better, and everyone is still making use (and money off) of it long after they forgot about that person.

4. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Ho interesting. That explain why it was the economic minister that was central in this affair...