Are you a Linux user or Windows user? Or maybe a macOS user?

Are you a Linux user or Windows user? Or maybe a macOS user?

• Linux

• Windows

• macOS

• All of the above

• Other (please specify or discuss)

Results are only viewable after voting.

I work in Information Technology technical support and use all 3 OS's as I don't see the point in discriminating as they all serve their own purpose.
• Windows is good for catching terrorists by sending their data to the NSA
• macOS is good for looking hip at Starbucks (must be wearing a turtleneck for full effect though)
• GNU/Linux is good for doing computing
[doublepost=1566718375,1566718340][/doublepost]
Optimized?
It compresses your data before it sends it to the NSA.

Currently I've got Manjaro on one drive, and Windows on another. Inside Linux, I've got a VM with access to the windows drive so I don't have to reset each time I want to do something that isn't a game. If I want to play a game, then I reboot.
As a side note, if you try and boot Windows in a VM and normally, make sure the VM has the same system UUID assigned to it, otherwise Windows will deactivate itself.

Windows 7 for my day job (and I can report that a regularly updated win7 behaves already as bad for privacy and efficiency as win10) and for games ("stripped down" using tools like nlite) at home, but I am aspiring to Linux for day-to-day computing and hobby.

I could say I'm "stuck" with Windows for professional reasons, namely AutoCAD. Even though it is disastrously badly made (or at least maintained) piece of software, and there is software available to draw some form .dwg or .dxf on Linux, the problems are that the FOSS alternatives have some degree of clunkiness (which is understandable for early and mid-stage projects and is not much worse than the original), and lack of some features (which is a bigger problem that there's not one mature "major" alternative for general drafting that'd suit me and provide some features my employer and clients need me to have).

With some forays in Linux before and using almost all of my daily usage apps since they are either already compiled for linux (Audacity, LibreOffice, obviously safer and more private web browsing etc., roguelike games), or have interesting alternatives, I think that as Pyra comes I will be ready to switch to it and become another free and happy man.

Still, like @xnopasaranx seems to have a weakness for games that run poorly in Wine, so do I. I believe that by the next PC I'm gonna turn my current laptop into a linux powerhouse to accompany the (and perhaps develop for the) Pyra and be my main internet machine, while a gaming/AutoCAD PC will be sitting offline. Maybe even without the acad part, if if performs well in Wine or if my employer will one day provide a laptop for remote work.

The last Windows I had contact with was XP. I still use it in some machines. I also have Win98 machine which runs EPROM programmer and floppy disk drives.
After XP I found a really bad points in a license I couldn't accept, so I started to use Linux. I use Debian with Trinity Desktop Environment as it does not eat memory (300MB for file manager in XFCE or MATE is certainly too much) and is configurable to the same degree as Windows 9x/XP. I do most of work like development or writing papers on Debian.

Which games may that be and when was the last time you tried?
I have to say, that things changed a lot due to WINE4 and DXVK.

To be fair it's been 5+ years ago and I hadn't given it a tenth of scrutiny and time dedication as I did over the years to master for dosbox emulation, so thanks for the news. I'll take these words as a start and might just start preparing for the pyra sooner than planned.

To be fair it's been 5+ years ago and I hadn't given it a tenth of scrutiny and time dedication as I did over the years to master for dosbox emulation, so thanks for the news. I'll take these words as a start and might just start preparing for the pyra sooner than planned.
5 years ago we didn't even have WINE3, which was the biggest step forward yet.
I don't put any effort into making things run once I have current WINE integrated into the system and for everything that needs DirectX11, I use a generic wrapper that makes a prefix with DXVK automatically integrated, atm I'm using that for "Ori and the Blind Forest" and it works great.
See post 1 and 3 here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/adamhms_linux_wine_wrappers_news_faq_discussion/page1

At this point you can play Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc... if you have a system that could handle it in Windows as well (I don't, my system is 10 years old, but runs nicely due to Linux' small overhead).

Currently I've got Manjaro on one drive, and Windows on another. Inside Linux, I've got a VM with access to the windows drive so I don't have to reset each time I want to do something that isn't a game. If I want to play a game, then I reboot.
As a side note, if you try and boot Windows in a VM and normally, make sure the VM has the same system UUID assigned to it, otherwise Windows will deactivate itself.
What VM software did you use? I was tempted to try this with VirtualBox, but didn't know if you could do it on that

Anti-Spyed! ;) "O&O Shutup 10" is your friend here.
At this point it's really way more easy and convenient (also way faster) to install a Linux distro and install WINE in a way that lets you use installer.exe and then the desktop shortcuts just like on Windows without really noticing a difference,
than it is to install current Windows and make it spy less until the next update.
Which is why I stopped bothering with MS after the end of support for WinXP.

I've used all three major OS's (Windows, Mac and Linux) and right now I'm running Linux with no plan to switch. I will say I do prefer Mac over Windows. I don't know if modern Mac is still has good as it was in 2013-14 when I used it but I found it to be much more enjoyable than Windows.
Never used BSD, from what I know it's suppose to be very similar to Linux?

Mac is still has good as it was in 2013-14 when I used it but I found it to be much more enjoyable than Windows.

This. Leaving politics and ethical concerns (and logic) aside, Windows just seems to lack any kind of soul. It's basically designed specifically to extract money and information from people.

• Windows is good for catching terrorists by sending their data to the NSA
• macOS is good for looking hip at Starbucks (must be wearing a turtleneck for full effect though)
• GNU/Linux is good for doing computing
[doublepost=1566718375,1566718340][/doublepost]
It compresses your data before it sends it to the NSA.

You made my day :D

I've used all three major OS's (Windows, Mac and Linux) and right now I'm running Linux with no plan to switch. I will say I do prefer Mac over Windows. I don't know if modern Mac is still has good as it was in 2013-14 when I used it but I found it to be much more enjoyable than Windows.
If I remember correctly the PS3 OS used somewhat BSD, and it influenced a lot of other OSes (like early MacOS). Any OS look's like it's derived from Unix is some shape or form.

Windows looks like its derived from CP/M. Early MacOS dates from 1982ish I think, which is a little early for the PS3 I'd have thought. Perhaps MacOS X dates from around that period, I don't really remember the exact date for that.

Windows looks like its derived from CP/M. Early MacOS dates from 1982ish I think, which is a little early for the PS3 I'd have thought. Perhaps MacOS X dates from around that period, I don't really remember the exact date for that.
NeXTSTEP was release in 1989 (Mach/BSD): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP
Darwin was released in 2000 (NeXTSTEP/BSD/Mach): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
PS3 CellOS was released in 2006 (FreeBSD/NetBSD): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

I'm using Linux as my main OS on my Laptop and Pyra.
My Laptop has a second HDD to boot Windows for gaming.
Recently I bought a Lenovo Yoga Book c930 that does run Windows. There's no proper Linux support.

Back