Are You A Young Person? I Need Your Help...

TelcoLou posted on Mar 3 2007 at 02:07 AM said:
... it's the same here in the U.S. ...

So what is this "douche bag" business? I doubt it means the same thing as it does in French, especially postfixed with "bag"? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

As for us Brits, just give us some booze and we'll all sound the same - off key! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fru.T Bunn posted on Mar 2 2007 at 10:40 PM said:

So what is this "douche bag" business? I doubt it means the same thing as it does in French, especially postfixed with "bag"? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

As for us Brits, just give us some booze and we'll all sound the same - off key! :lol: :lol: :lol:

... it's an insult if used to describe a person. If not, it's a device used for feminine hygiene ...

TelcoLou posted on Mar 2 2007 at 10:46 PM said:
Fru.T Bunn posted on Mar 2 2007 at 10:40 PM said:

... it's an insult if used to describe a person. If not, it's a device used for feminine hygiene ...
One stupid kid in my old HS called it a "cunt rag". He thought it was something women wipe their vaginas with ;)

In Europe, women douche on a regular basis. Too bad that idea isn't worldwide, eh?

Nova posted on Mar 3 2007 at 02:01 AM said:
macgyver61; It's important to note that in britain, there are many varieties of english slang, based on location. For instance, slang that may be used in derbyshire has mostly never been heard of in the south east.

Anything North of Watford (or East of Reading) has never been heard of (or seen) in the South East (of England)... :(

Scottish slang is just the dogs bollocks. <---thats used quite a wee bit. So is Wee. But i will go on record saying scottish chavs are the worst, linguistically, in the entire wall. Example, a chav said to one of my friends,' I'm pure gona tan yer windays in.' It took awhile to understand wat he was getting on at but then i realised he was meaning that he was going to smash his glasses.

WhizzBang posted on Mar 1 2007 at 06:34 AM said:
I'm over 30 at but I have noticed that young people these days sometimes end their sentances with the word 'already' when it seems innappropriate to me. e.g. "Why don't you do it already?"

Also, young people use the word 'own' something to mean better than something else. e.g. "My gp2x owns your gba"

Neither of these were around in the 80's/early 90's when I was young and I think they come from the internet. Youth slang is becoming globalised.
I'm under 30 and I have noticed that everyone adds AT to the end of a sentence for no reason. Where are you at? It isn't appropriate either.

Frankly I worry more about the ghetto l33t haxxors and the "black" white people. And nobody says owned anymore, its pwnd, I am assuming because you hit the P when you are playing hard and typing. But now it is Pwned or pwned or pwnage.

I agree on the globalization, you will have kids playing in the America's and Europe and Australia and Asia all on the same MMORPG. Unfortunately 2 million minds are not better than one when it comes to the offspring raised by the people who were themselves raised on TV. We are in a cyclical loop of assholes begetting assholes, why document it?

In Europe, women douche on a regular basis. Too bad that idea isn't worldwide, eh?
No, in fact douching upsets the PH, introduces contaminants and removes the regulating bacteria required for healthy functioning (read a book man). If you start though you may just keep going because you messed it up and now it's worse.

nubie posted on Mar 4 2007 at 07:58 PM said:
No, in fact douching upsets the PH, introduces contaminants and removes the regulating bacteria required for healthy functioning (read a book man). If you start though you may just keep going because you messed it up and now it's worse.
What? I'd like you to tell me what you are douching with my friend. Introduces contaminants? Maybe if you're a moron and using something that isn't cleaned.

I probably shouldn't have said a 'regular basis'. What I meant was a whole lot more often than American women do.

Bidets have also become more common.

Anything done too much can cause problems ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 4 2007 at 05:35 PM said:

Sorry, should have said "could introduce contaminants".

For the record I have never had the opportunity to use a bidet, but theoretically I really like the idea, especially warm soapy water :) . I use wet wipes personally, I am really anal about my cleanliness :huh: :lol: . I am not an expert on the US populace at large, but it does seem as though a bit goes lacking in the wipe and wash department in a large majority.

Let's see...

I heard someone on a bus once talking to her friend, not unlike the following "So I was like, oh my god, I was like, he was there, like, like, oh my god, like, what? Oh my god..." etc. I may have listened for a good five minutes and I don't think she actually made a point. At all.

"Whatever" seems to be used quite often. Along with generic words which mean nothing like "innit". Also, "well sick", which is not only an oxymoron, but actually means the complete opposite of what it should. I would advise completely against using any of these phrases for fear of being rendered unintelligible. What has also seemed to have become more popular here is completely pointless swearing, swearing for the sake of swearing at nobody in particular. The word "fucking" can be used interchangeably with "oh my god" or "like". Also a dramatic increase in the use of the word "random" and going "eeeeuuuh eeeeeuuuh eeeeeuuuh" at random passers-by, but I doubt that counts as slang really.

I'll never understand people.

nubie posted on Mar 5 2007 at 01:34 AM said:

For the record I have never had the opportunity to use a bidet, but theoretically I really like the idea, especially warm soapy water :) . I use wet wipes personally, I am really anal about my cleanliness :huh: :lol: . I am not an expert on the US populace at large, but it does seem as though a bit goes lacking in the wipe and wash department in a large majority.
You're.......a woman?

:blink:

...Maybe I'm high? I'm gonna just leave now :unsure:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:01 PM said:

You're.......a woman?

:unsure: , GP2x possible has TWO female members :eek:

sam fisher posted on Mar 5 2007 at 06:18 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:01 PM said:

You're.......a woman?

:unsure: , GP2x possible has TWO female members :eek:

Well you didn't count... oh... yea two.

nickspoon posted on Mar 5 2007 at 06:08 PM said:
I heard someone on a bus once talking to her friend, not unlike the following "So I was like, oh my god, I was like, he was there, like, like, oh my god, like, what? Oh my god..." etc. I may have listened for a good five minutes and I don't think she actually made a point. At all.
I've been there too. It's enough to make you go insane!

"well sick" has been superceded by "proper ill" apparently. e.g. Got a 800W amp in me Nova, proper ill.

Here's more extracts from a dictionary I'm working on, where possible i've included translations:

"pure bad sounds" (what might come out of your mobile phone)

"bang eck out of im" (to fight a man and triumph having given him a sound thrashing)

"goin on with yourself" (talking too much)

"faggoty game thing what don't even play no PSP games" (Your GP2X - that I regrettably fail to recognise not being an opensource developer myself.)

rooster posted on Mar 7 2007 at 04:53 PM said:
Got a 800W amp in me Nova, proper ill.

Back