Are you interested in a new Pandora LCD cable?

Would you want to order a new LCD cable for your Pandora for 30$

• Total voters

I'm curious if HNS plans on improving the existing LCD cable before producing it because of it's current flaws. It would make more sense to make it more robust if possible

Reactions: rSl
@hns the count is at atleast 45 right now, getting a quote for 50 pieces would be plausible.
Have you given thought about how to collect the money?
Not yet. I had asked ED about this but not received an answer yet.
Post automatically merged:

I'm curious if HNS plans on improving the existing LCD cable before producing it because of it's current flaws. It would make more sense to make it more robust if possible
Well, that is beyond my options... I have no experience how good or bad the current one is and what should/could be improved. And how good or bad a new production run will be. Doing experiments for improvement is really costly. Would drive up price by 100% or so...

But they already where improved so far i remeber.
Had anyone a new one failing?

After my Incident yesterday whit my Pandora (See other Threads) I believe that the Current LCD Cable is pretty sturdy, as the PCB was pushed out of the Case but was still connected to the LCD Cable, I squeezed everything pretty quick in because I was then pretty angry about my own stupidity, so I don’t think I take lots of care, but the Pandora still booted and the Screen was fine..

Whit best regards, Matthias

The latest LCD cable (the black one) is ok.
I used some to replace the older ones (silver) during some RMAs, and their coating seem very resistant to friction.
IMHO the design is also ok.

The latest LCD cable (the black one) is ok.
I used some to replace the older ones (silver) during some RMAs, and their coating seem very resistant to friction.
IMHO the design is also ok.
I did finally remember that ED did give me a broken Pandora before we started the Pyra project years ago. After searching some hours I have found it and so I have one cable for physical reference. It has a silver coating at some places. What is the difference to the "black" one?

The black layer is a sort of solid plastic.
When you bend the ribbon and release it, it comes back flat.
They were made in Japan if I remember right.

Last edited:
Here's some pictures:
P1260032.JPG
P1260031.JPG
P1260033.JPG

Attachments

• P1260030.JPG
    P1260030.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
The black layer is a sort of solid plastic.
When you bend the ribbon and release it, it come back flat.
They were made in Japan if I remember right.
Ok, I see. Thanks for the pictures. Well, adding that is beyond what I had in mind...
So they will probably be neither silver nor black. It also looks as if the PCB design has changed.
If the black coating is necessary or not - I don't know... It may help to wind the cable or avoid abrasion.
The Gerber data I have got are obviously for the newer (black) version. So they are already the improved design variant (speaker solder points separated on the left and right side).
Anyways there is some risk that the cables I can provide won't be as good and reliable as the black ones.

May some coating be applied manually ?
Otherwise the cable has to be changed again and again, and OP's case can't handle that.

I wonder how hard it would be to separate the cable and the pcb by just adding another connector on the pcb and the cable like it's done on the Pyra.

Sah only the Side of the Cable 2 Days ago, that is on the Underside of the PCB, not the other Side, so i dotnt know which Cable it was,
But it survived the Incidend , so i assume its the new one or i had a lot of luck ^^

I wonder how hard it would be to separate the cable and the pcb by just adding another connector on the pcb and the cable like it's done on the Pyra.
From pure mechanical perspective that could be possible. The PCB is sitting flat on the backside of the Display and the pure flexible part of the cable comes from the side.
Adding another connector (the same type as used on the Pandora main board) seems to be possible. So the PCB would adapt between two connectors and carry the additional components. But would itself not be a flexible piece.
Very difficult is to get modified Gerber data for that, because Gerber is not intended for direct editing (although such tools exist).
Gerber is like PDF. You usually need the .doc or .odt "source" code to modify it easily and simply print a new PDF...
So while it is a good idea, it is not worth the additional efforts for let's say 100 cables.

@hns: is the Lcd cables production started?
No, unfortunately not yet. The project has stalled a little. There are 3 reasons:
* I am distracted by other topics
* I have not yet completed the setup and adjustment of the production machine (I am waiting for some part coming from China...)
* it is not possible to say anything about quality and durability before some samples have been built.
But there is no budget to do such experiments. I.e. build 5 (likely to be scrap) and another 5 and then 50.
Doing this may easily triple the price per unit compared to my first estimate and I am not sure if that is still attractive.

I’m still in if the price triples. I’d prefer if the cost could stay closer to $30, but will commit to riding the ride until the price hits $100 each.

I would also consider purchasing an extra few cables in case that helps reduce price per unit. I’m sure I could hold onto them in case I need them and sell them to another forum member if they end up needing one.

I’m still in if the price triples. I’d prefer if the cost could stay closer to $30, but will commit to riding the ride until the price hits $100 each.

I would also consider purchasing an extra few cables in case that helps reduce price per unit. I’m sure I could hold onto them in case I need them and sell them to another forum member if they end up needing one.
My guess is that there's many people out there with a purple tint Pandora who don't check this forum regularly but might be interested in getting their Pandora's fixed.
Maybe @EvilDragon wants a couple in his shop too?

Back