Arkanoid

Tom`

Since I got sebt3's toolchain set up over the weekend, I tried looking at the Port Requests wiki page to see if any of that software would work with just a recompile. It appeared that Arkanoid didn't require OpenGL or anything hardware-specific, so I tried that, and much to my surprise, after fiddling with a few libraries, it worked!

So I have this Arkanoid PND now. I didn't change any code, just the makefile, so while the game is perfectly playable, there's no fullscreen mode or support for remapping buttons. I'd like to add these things, but I'd like to get Clement Corde's permission first, since there's no explicit license included with the source code. I don't think he'd have a problem with it (he seemed to approve of the Dingux port), but I think it's best from a legal standpoint as well as being polite to get permission.

I was thinking it could be good if someone who actually spoke French could send him an e-mail, before I start modifying things or uploading them to the official Pandora archives.

Does anyone agree with me in this? I'd appreciate any advice, since I've never done anything like this before. :p

(If you want to try the game it's here. Move the paddle with the d-pad or left nub; launch balls with Start, Select, or the right nub; I haven't looked at any other controls yet).

(crossposting to both boards...)

Tom` said:
Since I got sebt3's toolchain set up over the weekend, I tried looking at the Port Requests wiki page to see if any of that software would work with just a recompile. It appeared that Arkanoid didn't require OpenGL or anything hardware-specific, so I tried that, and much to my surprise, after fiddling with a few libraries, it worked!

So I have this Arkanoid PND now. I didn't change any code, just the makefile, so while the game is perfectly playable, there's no fullscreen mode or support for remapping buttons. I'd like to add these things, but I'd like to get Clement Corde's permission first, since there's no explicit license included with the source code. I don't think he'd have a problem with it (he seemed to approve of the Dingux port), but I think it's best from a legal standpoint as well as being polite to get permission.

I was thinking it could be good if someone who actually spoke French could send him an e-mail, before I start modifying things or uploading them to the official Pandora archives.

Does anyone agree with me in this? I'd appreciate any advice, since I've never done anything like this before. :p

(If you want to try the game it's here. Move the paddle with the d-pad or left nub; launch balls with Start, Select, or the right nub; I haven't looked at any other controls yet).

(crossposting to both boards...)

Ace, I love Arkanoid/bat'n'ball/thru-the-wall type games :)

Edit: I have a friend who is fluent French/English if you need a good translation of an email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back