Ase Or Gpm Converter

pierre

Still Fresh
I'm playing with the DGE examples.
It doesn't seem really mature for now, and the developer's corner of the fungp site is really a joke, but the DGE API is not that bad.

I can load an ASE model (the one provided in the examples) but it is really hard to find a modeler or a converter that can export a 3D model in the ASE format. And I don't mention the GPM format.

Does anyone know a tool that can do that easily. The only tool I found is a blender export script that I can't manage to use.
Even Milkshape3D doesn't seem to know how to write ASE files.

So I'm stuck with the monk model, and I begin to be fed up with his monkey face ;)

Can somebody help me with that?

The only program that i can think of capable of exporting ASE files is 3d studio max, as this fileformat has its roots there.

There are tons of different file formats out there, what format you choose depends totally on what you want. for simple textured meshes, you can easily go for .obj (an ancient format, but still serves the needs ;) ), almost every 3d software i know of is capable of exporting this.

I suggest to stick to that, unless you need some fancy scenegraph with animations and skinning and whatnot.

When i started to do some 3d stuff on wiz, i also looked for different formats, also tried milkshape. It was not my taste, but the format is opensource and there is some loader code available. But in the end it turned out, that i wanted more, so i grabbed FBX, and wrote a tiny converter app to my own handcrafted file format.

Thanks for the information.
I wanted to use ASE files because ASE and GPM (GPH's own undocumented format) are natively supported by the DGE engine provided for the caanoo.
So, if I can load 3d models with one single line of code, that seemed interesting ;)
But, I think I will write a OBJ loader as well, for simple static models.

Back