Asus Eee Pc... (i'm Shocked!) Handheld-sized

I'm very tempted to get one as theyre cheap, may wait for the next model to come out though.

I would use it for surfing and mainly emulation. Has anyone tried any emulators on these ? Looked on youtube and seen GBA/SNES running very well and N64.

Would love to see a Spectrum emulator running on it and MAME though ! Found Linux versions of both emulators so i hope both work well on the eee

You can also install XP on the eeepc, that will probably give you more choice in emulators. Some emulators miss good gui's in linux (like ngen).
The default distro can be replaced and with eeeXubuntu you will be able to install lots of emulators like Mame etc. Gui's can be problematic though, for some games on my Linux desktop I made a small script to start them.

Cheers bob for the reply.

I would install XP straight away so i could put my favourite emulators on it but nervous about installing XP ! Read a few articles and it 'seems' easy just hope i dont brick it or mess it up though.

I presume then running emulators from an SD card would run very well on it without any real lag or that ?

I'm unsure whether to wait for the 8 gig version or wait for the Windows versions which apparently are coming out in a few months.

Its a case of 'want one now' !

psj3809 said:
Cheers bob for the reply.

I would install XP straight away so i could put my favourite emulators on it but nervous about installing XP ! Read a few articles and it 'seems' easy just hope i dont brick it or mess it up though.

I presume then running emulators from an SD card would run very well on it without any real lag or that ?

I'm unsure whether to wait for the 8 gig version or wait for the Windows versions which apparently are coming out in a few months.

Its a case of 'want one now' !
You can also install XP on a USB key, there are lots of options, some more difficult than others. I don't think installing XP will be a big problem. Lots of people have done it already and are pretty pleased with the result. Also booting time, although not as fast as Xandros, is pretty fast.

Personally I don't need 8 gig and I don't mind the 7" screen. For storage you can use sd cards or usb keys or usb writers/harddisk. It can be a long wait for the 8 gig version, the 4 gig version was sold out very fast and the stocks are slowly filled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh BTW. I haven't installed any emulators (I have a gp2x for my gaming pleasure ;) but I don't think sd usage is a problem running any emulators. Could become problematic if you open more applications (default memory is 512 Mb) at the same time in XP. That could result in writing to a swap file and become laggy.

due to some unexpected bills in gonna have to wait another month or two till i get my eee pc :(

but also i've heard about a 8.9" version coming next month: http://asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/2007/12/8...ed-january.html
i doubt it will ever happen but a slightly larger screen would be nice

i've came into some money and with some luck will be ordering on tuesday, im too impatient to wait for a larger screen'd model, 7inchs is fine for on the bus nd lunch breaks at work

also check this out: http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-...pa-to-asus.html

sorry for the double post but....

i got my eee pc :D its better than i thought it would be

keyboard and tracpad are a little fiddlely but i'm adjusting (after only 5 mins) but then i do have relitivly small hands so..... dunnno

im ordering a touch screen kit later :) but for now im goin to play

Back