Asus Is Trying To Compete With Raspberry Pi

Inimuk

Pandora User
Worth seeing if they go even half as far as the RPi guys have in getting linux supported and using the GPU/wifi etc. In the Pi's case it's just binary blobs I believe, but that's still better than nothing, and there's one for every bit that needs one.

^ I need to watch this
and check the imdb page XD

08v11.PNG

Remind me, what's wrong with 16b * 44kHz audio?

Bigger numbers sell, even if it's literally useless, or even causes issues.

24bit is kinda useless for output, as that's realistically more dynamic range than the human ear can detect - though with the current 'loundness war' going on it seems fewer people actaully use the full range, though adding more to the top just means you can horribly compress the whole thing to a slightly higher threshold. Higher bitrates is useful for transforms, however, so if you're mastering or similar it makes sense for the intermediate values to be at a higher precision. But then again you're most likely using some floating point format there anyway, so you'll have to quantize it down for output anyway, and then again you'd get no real benefit for having a dynamic range nobody can hear.

96khz, again, is completely pointless for playback (you can *perfectly* represent any waveform up to (sample_rate / 2), and extremely few people can hear over 24khz. Higher sample rates can actually sometimes be harmful, as most audio circuits don't handle the higher frequencies as well, and harmonics etc. can end up causing distortions in the bits you can hear due to waveforms in frequencies you cannot - so it can only make things worse.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html has an interesting overview.

I think they want to market these as 4K HD multimedia systems. Able to process blueray quality video and audio (Blueray high resolution sound is up to 192 kHz/24Bit) hence the quality.

Also, the audio output rate would mean you can record the studio tracks without resampling (before you downsample the mixed master back to CD quality for creating the CD). Then again, most recording stuff is done digitally now a days... and no idea how loud the hiss is (on the Pandora it is pretty low, comparable to a professional device)

And with the higher CPU power, maybe a midi / audio -driven-console (for example, in a disco club, be able to project TV, sound AND have some connectors left to ALSO rotate and move the lights and discoball).
I should have gone into that business. It was easy to use a DSP/Fast-Fourier to get bass treble and mid, and drive 3 lights. A bit harder to detect BPM in realtime (but assembler code for that existed back then) and do random sequences of cool things (of course, programming them was nice. fading white lights while moving up and down, while the hihats played, and then when the bass kicked in, use the side strobo's... and then start using the color lights, different colors each beat). Fun times, those. Unfortunately, the software could not remember much more than that (limited RAM), so the "do random things to the beat" button was active for the rest of the night.

If this can play Blu-ray rips with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio I'd get one in a flash.

Back