At Least I'm Not Dead. (official Blog Update)

The abusive relationship has got to stop! It doesn't love you. It's not going to change. It needs you more than you need it, don't forget! Separate now, before you get in too deep. There's still time to find someone else, someone who actually cares about you.
Uhm... what were you talking about? :p (j/k)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you still shipping with UPS? The abusive relationship has got to stop! It doesn't love you. It's not going to change. It needs you more than you need it, don't forget! Separate now, before you get in too deep. There's still time to find someone else, someone who actually cares about you.
well UPS already has thousands and thousands of OpenPandora's money so they cant exactly dump them. ='(

with GP2X.
Ok, dude, I am seriously starting to lose respect for you guys. You know you've had problems with UPS in the past. You've told us about all the problems you've had with UPS in the past. Why are you still shipping with UPS? The abusive relationship has got to stop! It doesn't love you. It's not going to change. It needs you more than you need it, don't forget! Separate now, before you get in too deep. There's still time to find someone else, someone who actually cares about you.
Don't mix up craig and me. I'm running my own shop and I am indeed using DHL (mostly only shipping within EU and that usually works fine).
I've never had any problems with shipping stuff outside of Germany, however, I never had something like a temporary export...
Also, my problems (and I only got them two times"] had been solved within one day, so there is nothing bad about that.[/quote]Receiving goods from someone where customs are indeed needed (from Korea (GPH) to me (Germany) to sell them) is a COMPLETELY different thing than shipping out TEMPORARY IMPORT BOND things (from UK to US for manufacturing).
There are completely different compartments involved.

Now, craig has used UPS for years and - as far as I know - without any problems. But AFAIK he NEVER had to ship something with a TIP (Temporary Import Bond) so far.

I'm not sure if UPS is doing something wrong there - or if they are just uberaccurate with the documents...
It could as well be something simple like a misspelling that makes this happen.

Hopefully, we're hearing some success message from craig here soon :)
He's phoning around all over the last few days to fix that up :)

Last edited:
had been solved within one day, so there is nothing bad about that.
I've actually been biting my tongue - I don't do a lot of importing (heck, I don't buyt a LOT of ANYTHING!) but I've had fair experience of FedEx but particularly good experience of DHL and, yes, even UPS. Drivers for DHL repeatedly and UPS just the once have both gone out of their way to ensure secure delivery to me - and only me - as quickly as possible. They have both attempted delivery to my address more than once a day in order to achieve this (maybe I am well positioned for a second pass later in the day, but their paperwork clearly states you get one shot per day). I know of no-one in this area other than DHL and UPS that would actually be considerate enough to try me twice (UPS did it because he was aware I had arranged to collect that evening since he missed me in the morning - so he swung around and hit me again in the afternoon to save me the 1 mile trip that evening!).

I doubt that there are many drivers for DHL or UPS that show that much customer concern. Heck, the DHL guy will pull over anywhere he sees me if I'm out and about and he has a package for me and the time to stop!

Anecdotal evidence should not be completely ignored, but it goes in all directions and is often unique to specific circumstances.

I have nothing bad to add about FedEx, I just haven't witnessed them going out of their way to accomodate me (they might just not have had the opportunity). Royal Mail on the other hand (or whatever they are calling themselves today) are a royal pain in the bee-hind around here.

... so they were shipping something threw DHL instead of UPS...?

I think the crux of this thread is alternatives to using UPS due to unforeseen issues... correct? or at least find out how to resolve those issues that were encountered with UPS, correct?
DHL is a shipping alternative.. but not viable in the USA. (another story) http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ery-for-rivals/

in a previous thread, I listed several different freight forwarders.. and some references to ATA Carnet and TIB.. which are the core things to consider and decide upon.
other folks listed similar references, too. :)

One thing I do not understand about this business flow.. are the parts coming from outside the USA to be assembled in Dallas?
or are only some of the parts coming from within the USA? or are all of the component parts coming from within the USA?

... so they were shipping something threw DHL instead of UPS...?

I think the crux of this thread is alternatives to using UPS due to unforeseen issues... correct? or at least find out how to resolve those issues that were encountered with UPS, correct?
DHL is a shipping alternative.. but not viable in the USA. (another story) http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ery-for-rivals/

in a previous thread, I listed several different freight forwarders.. and some references to ATA Carnet and TIB.. which are the core things to consider and decide upon.
other folks listed similar references, too. :)

One thing I do not understand about this business flow.. are the parts coming from outside the USA to be assembled in Dallas?
or are only some of the parts coming from within the USA? or are all of the component parts coming from within the USA?

Okay, some more information about those who think craig didn't do it right:

The first shipment with the parts for 2000 boards went the same way to Dallas without any problems.
It's the second shipment (with the second 2000 parts) that is being held up.

Which really does show some weirdness...

Well, at least it means there shouldn't really be any delay caused by that. The first 2000 Pandora boards can already be manufactured :)

The first shipment with the parts for 2000 boards went the same way to Dallas without any problems.

Well, at least it means there shouldn't really be any delay caused by that. The first 2000 Pandora boards can already be manufactured :)

This is a situation I get quite regularly - although at another hub in the US.

It shows as pending customs clearance for days and in the end I chase UPS and they say they lost the paperwork and can they have copies of the invoices again - then hey presto delivered next day.

We now stick an extra set of invoices to the box and a set in the box to help prevent this.

Also - are u putting the correct TARIFF CODE(s) on your paperwork - the US and EU codes are different and US Customs is dead hot on this at the moment.

Try not to get SO excited yourself that you forget that EvilDragon actually has a real-world job, and it isn't Craigix that imploys him. Nor is this real-world job anything to do with the production of the Pandora.
lol, my apologies. No, I did not think Craig was ED's boss -- but I read your post as you thinking he was his "boss" on this project. I read it as you thinking Craig was the "boss" of the Pandora project, and somehow that he didn't see the importance of the project (and thus is why he hasn't been updating us). I stand happily (and a bit sheepishly) corrected. :)

If you re-read my post knowing that was my understanding, it will come across as less of a flame and more as me genuinely aghast that you could thing what I thought you were saying. Sorry if I sounded rude. :)

No worries mate, the Internet was made as a test of human communications. "Test #1 - can we make them explode in anger, coating the walls with their own inner body parts without ever actually having different points of view, just communication problems?" In this instance, no! Hehehe
Fortunately, another user showed me up by posting a very well mannered response to the situation which prompted me to clean up my responnse - I'm afraid my initial inclination was to be no more polite in response than Username has been - which would have been a poor show on my part :(

As it turns out, EvilDragon hasn't had a boss for some months! A misunderstanding on my part as I hadn't realised he'd joined the ranks of the fully self-employed fairly recently.

Ta,

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something, but this here:

The customs broker SHOULD be UPS in that case, as they handle all that customs stuff... so if they act up, the only way seems to persuade them to NOT act up.
I don't believe that this is true. When I was living in Canada I received a package from the states sent via UPS ground which inspired a very lengthy conversation about all of this with the UPS lady. She indicated that the broker was actually a subcontractor, to which I had to pay extra money, but that if the package had been sent via air, this step, and the extra money, could have been avoided. This implied to me that UPS handled customs for air shipments themselves, but not for ground shipments. This also meant that air shipping was actually cheaper than ground shipping.

Obviously you aren't shipping via UPS ground, but if this is on a cargo ship it might be handled the same way.

My solution, which has worked very well for me in the years since, has been to never use UPS again. Has anyone else suggested this?

My guess is the first shipment was lucky! What you are doing calls for Temporary Importation Procedures, hence why the second shipment got snagged. Just don't mention the first shipment as a reason to release the second shipment or they may belatedly jump on the first one and demand money with menace!

So once the second shipment gets released that means all the boards are in the USA ??? It's great to hear that maybe 2000+ could be manufactured soon ??? with the balance able to follow on shortly ??? (make you own judgement re timelines of 'soon' & 'shortly')

My guess is the first shipment was lucky! What you are doing calls for Temporary Importation Procedures, hence why the second shipment got snagged. Just don't mention the first shipment as a reason to release the second shipment or they may belatedly jump on the first one and demand money with menace!
So once the second shipment gets released that means all the boards are in the USA ??? It's great to hear that maybe 2000+ could be manufactured soon ??? with the balance able to follow on shortly ??? (make you own judgement re timelines of 'soon' & 'shortly')

But that's the point - he DID do the temporary importation bond. For BOTH shipments.... the first didn't have any problems, for the second one, UPS doesn't like that "parts are being put on the PCB".... but that is clearly legal with a Temporary Importation Bond (it even says so in the Documents available on the officlal government sites)....

Last edited:
Craig et al,
Please tell us exactly what the tax bill said, who it was from, etc. I need to figure out if you're being charged an import tariff or some other form of tax from UPS. I'll also need to know what's being imported, where it's coming from, where the other parts for assembly are coming from, and how they're getting to your assembly plant.
But all that aside, my suspicion is that you'll need to file a temporary import bond, which is a deposit you make to US Customs (usually for twice the value of the goods) promising to re-export the goods after they are modified here in the USA. I suspect you'll need to claim your right to file a bond under Subheading 9813.00.05 of the Harmonized Customs Regulations, which pertains to goods being repaired or further manufactured in the USA. Your best next step is probably to contact the port director at whichever port your unfinished goods are being delivered. He has the responsibility to administer the bond, but your shipper and your contract assembly plant might also be able to help. Be aware that you may have to hire a customs broker to help you do this, and that, alas, cannot be me.

Adam

this guy sounds knowledgeable. I'm surprised to see that nobody replied him asking for something more... I'm just posting here only to resurface his post.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I don't really have time to read through the 8 pages of this thread.

I'm a customs analyst for FedEx. I deal with this stuff 40 hours a week, just mining paperwork for those vital bits of info and then summarizing it in a computerized document to make life easier for anal official government U.S. Customs Officers.

Heck, if it weren't a temporary export (which my position doesn't handle) there's like a 10% chance that I'd end up processing your shipment if you shipped it FedEx, because my shift deals with most of the UK freight. I even have a couple geeky co-workers who have been following progress on the Pandora as well. Sigh.

Anyway, there are a few key phrases you'll want to include on your invoice that us analysts are trained to zone in on. It looked like they've been covered already in this thread, but I would suggest anyway including all of the following statement on your invoice close to the description of your product.

"Temporary export to the U.S. for assembly. To be subsequently re-exported to the UK for further processing."

Now my job is extremely mind-numbing. The majority of us are almost completely brain-dead most of the day. On top of that, many of the people I work with are frankly just plain stupid. So it wouldn't hurt at all to repeat key sections of that phrase liberally throughout your documents.

One other tip that might help is to include an FCC form, even if the items you're shipping don't require it. I *think*, though I may be wrong, that box 5 on the standard FCC form signifies a temporary export, and that is almost impossible for us to miss.

If you still need help, feel free to e-mail me at SalmonGod@gmail.com - I have access to all the official stuff and know a lot of the stupid customs politics, so I could even get the proper tariff # for you and some document templates and such if that would help.

**EDIT**

A couple things to add after reading through the thread... I shouldn't have, but I couldnt help myself :p

MacGuyver - "I'm not sure if UPS works the same way, but with Fedex you are able to assign your own customs broker to your account."

We call these CPA accounts and I've always wondered if they're even worth it. Our CPA department seems to be experts at dodging their workload. We'll have explicit documentation stating that a shipment is to be processed by CPA, but they'll invent BS beaurocratic excuses to delegate them to standard processing anyway. I've noticed a couple major corporations drop their names from the CPA list recently, too.

Regardless, I would still recommend FedEx. Not because I work there or I think we're more dedicated or anything, but because FedEx brokerage works directly with U.S. Customs officers. We literally share offices. If there are problems, we have people that will just walk down the hall and talk with them, though they'll avoid it if they can because they're anything but friendly people. Because of our direct relationship, we kind of get to work under special rules and get more privileges then other brokers.

Back