Atari St Emulator (Castaway)

Hello Alyinsanfran

Maybe you can help me,

I am trying to make Castaway working on my PSP and I can't find a solution to my problem.
I Followed all the instructions :
- Instal the emulateur
- Use the good TOS (1.02 UK, US or FR), rename it to TOS.ROM and placed in the right folder (ATARI_ST)
- Download the .st games (I own and bought in the 90's)

When I launch the Emulator I see the games in the "Disk Management". I press "O" to select the disk drive A and press "X" to launch the TOS.
And I get the Message ""No TOS.ROM file found - run will fail"

I Don't know what to do, can somebody help ?

My TOS (1.02) is a disk image and when I rename it to .ROM, it's still is a disk image (.img) (I don't know if it can help)
of course I tried different TOS And still get TOS.ROM not found.

Thanks.
Sebastien
P.S ; Sorry for my english, I am french

User alyinsanfran hasn't been online here for over 6 years now, so I doubt you'll get a reply from that direction.

I suspect you might be suffering from windows habit of hiding extensions when you say 'when I rename it to .ROM, it's still is a disk image (.img)'. There's an option you can change on windows that's a per folder setting, or you can still open a terminal and do it using that, I think. But FWIW all my TOSes still have their .img extension and they all work on my emulators - I haven't even tried renaming them, but that error message does suggest you should rename them to .ROM, so meh.

I don't have a PSP though, and don't use CaSTaway (I use Hatari) but I suspect your toses shouldn't go in a folder which gets mapped to a disc drive. You don't launch a TOS from inside the emulator in that case - you put it in the right places and it gets picked up automatically, and drops you into a GEM desktop as soon as you launch the emu.

Hopefully someone with a modded PSP and experience of using CaSTaway will be along shortly.

Oh my god you are a genius !! you help me to understand the problem in 2 minutes !!!

I explain : it's a windows issue.

- The psp emulator castaway wants a File called TOS.ROM
- I rename it TOS.ROM BUT.... For windows : "right click / property / detail" it's name was still TOS.ROM.img
- I had to go to control panel to active "show extension of file..."
- I see now the real name with extension .img
- Then when I renamed it, it change extension and logo (the little image of my daemon tool to open .img changed to a piece of paper)
And of course it's still a disk image... shame on me.

It's so easy that nobody had my problem... :(

I am surprised that nobody is talking about PSP and Castaway since 2006. Even with all the Raspberry Pi and retro pie,
The PSP is really good to emulate easily a lots of retro games console including Atari ST, on a portable machine.

Thank you !

Well most people on here these days either owned a Pandora which is also a portable console, or is waiting for it's successor: the Pyra from Dragonbox. That's not to take anything away from the PSP, which was a great machine for the time mainly due to it being hackable. This specific thread I suspect was imported from the GP32X boards which were largely focussed on the GP/GPH consoles (GP32, GP2X, Wiz, Caanoo) and the early development of the Pandora. A fair few of us had PSPs back in the day though, including the famous Exophase who tends to lurk around here still I think, but once we got our Pandoras very few of us looked back.

Back