Attention Mac Users

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
Title says msot of it. Basically ive got a couple of large files and no dvd burner, and want to transfer them from my windows desktop to my ibook. Im used to using smart ftp for pc-xbox transfers, so preumably ill need an IP, login and pass. However im running into all sorts of problems, the pc doesnt even recognise the LAN when the cnnection is there,a nd ive no idea of password even if a route was available. anyone got any tips or can point me to a good guide, ive googled but cant find much.

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 20 2005 at 06:25 AM said:
Title says msot of it. Basically ive got a couple of large files and no dvd burner, and want to transfer them from my windows desktop to my ibook. Im used to using smart ftp for pc-xbox transfers, so preumably ill need an IP, login and pass. However im running into all sorts of problems, the pc doesnt even recognise the LAN when the cnnection is there,a nd ive no idea of password even if a route was available. anyone got any tips or can point me to a good guide, ive googled but cant find much.
The LAN I'm not sure on, check out that all the connections are there and that you have drivers (?) installed.

However, to transfer files via FTP (which you shouldn't need to do with a LAN), the computer that wants to receive the files needs to be running an FTP Daemon, like proftpd. I'm sure you can get one for mac somewhere on the 'net.

Like I said though, if your LAN is properly working (through ethernet, I would imagine), you should be able to just transfer the files in your explorer-equivalent window through whatever LAN protocol it uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah ive tried using ft programs on both computers but to no avail. Ive not ahd muuch experience with ftp, and enver between mac and pc so im kinda stuck. The aln thing is a bit of a fuck up by me, i now realise thats irrlelveant as theyre not networked at all. sorry!

Right...!

You need to do the following (if you dont have a router) ....

1) give each machine a temporary static IP address on the same subnet (i.e. one machine 192.168.1.2 (the PC) and the other 192.168.1.3 (the Mac), bith with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ). If you're not sure how to do this, let me know...

2) join them directly ethernet to ethernet using a crossover cable (or the same cable you use for the x-box to PC transfers).

3) share a folder on your PC (right click and select 'sharing and security'). Give it a share name of whatever you like.

3) in the mac finder, select 'go' and 'connect to server

4) type in SMB://192.168.1.2 into the box that comes up and click 'connect'

5) The mac should ask you to authenticate to the PC - so type in your sername and password that you use on the PC, and the workgroup name of the PC (usually WORKGROUP by default).

6) you should get the contents of the folder appearing on your mac, and you can just copy from there. All you have to do is put the files you want into that folder and then copy them over.

This works on Mac OS X 10.3 and above, and I assume it also works on versions below this, but I've never done it...

Also, if you have a router, there's no need to give the machines static IPs, just check the ip of the PC and use that in the SMB:// bit above instead.

Give it a go - works for me :)

Back