Authentic Retro Fuzziness from LCDs

With all the recent talk of how the current high def LCD tvs making old games look bad, this might not be a bad thing. :)

I already re-implemented the ghosting of the PSP in my emulator because I tried running the tekken-ghost-exploit-sample for anti-aliasing before and it looked horrible - works fine with my quick patch (I m not ghosting THAT much tho) :)
Other emulators like NO$GBA (?) do this too I think. Atleast the colors are not too powerful compared to other emulators. The Playstation emulator for Xbox also had such features. Its a common thing to do I think.

gp32rich I know exactly what you mean, using MAME or Klive on our new 42" HiDef Plasma TV is really blocky, MAME does have options for smoothing and it kinda works but not perfectly.

Oh by the way, Harold Lloyd????

So on top of those people who make the authentic hardware look better there are now those who make the emulated hardware look worse?

That's kind of funny.

JayFoxRox said:
I already re-implemented the ghosting of the PSP in my emulator because I tried running the tekken-ghost-exploit-sample for anti-aliasing before and it looked horrible - works fine with my quick patch (I m not ghosting THAT much tho) :)
Just so I understand, does this mean that a game actually relies on the ghosting of the PSP screen for some of its graphical features? I don't know if that's awesome (turning a weakness into a strength) or stupid (relying on a flaw that could have been fixed)

Kyosys said:
So on top of those people who make the authentic hardware look better there are now those who make the emulated hardware look worse?

That's kind of funny.
Well, to be honest, those Atari examples from that link looked nicer to me after all of the CRT effects were added.

Although on the other hand, I definitely wouldn't want blurs on Gameboy emulation... I guess it all depends on how much it affects gameplay.

Esn said:
Although on the other hand, I definitely wouldn't want blurs on Gameboy emulation...
For an authentic gameboy effect, simply smear a handful of pea soup over the screen. The resulting low-contrast green mess will bring you right back to 1990!

Esn said:
Kyosys said:

That's kind of funny.
Well, to be honest, those Atari examples from that link looked nicer to me after all of the CRT effects were added.

Although on the other hand, I definitely wouldn't want blurs on Gameboy emulation... I guess it all depends on how much it affects gameplay.
I'm quite surprised... I thought I would hate the filtered versions, but on games this low res it does certainly help, especially with those sunset lines.

I know the MegaDrive took advantage of the CRTs effects to give the impression of more colours, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Ecco use planned dithering which takes advantage of colour bleeds.

and I agree I welcomed that lack of blur when updating my brick GameBoy to a Color... I certainly wouldn't put filters to put the blur back in an emulator!

What I would love if someone could somehow combine HQ2X with a colou-rbleed algorithm so that I can scale Sonic nicely and get those extra fake colours the bleed would give me... :oops:

Good for a archival purposes I guess, and purists, but I've always played emulators with all possible enhancements on. (well, i dont like pixel blurring/hq2x type stuff. thats about it though)

On some games (Pacman, as shown in their examples) ghosting will work by smoothing out movement, colour bleeding might help to smooth the edges too.

... but I hate the added noise and the exaggerated phosphur dots :p Blurp!!

WarmFluffyUK said:
Oh by the way, Harold Lloyd????
Hooray!!!! ;)

Back