Backgrounds

Kumaki

Where do I get more Backgrounds for my Pandy desktop...and where on the SD card do they go?

Would love some more choice. Currently I just have the horrible gray one...and the blue one.
I liked the old orange that was there on 1.51

And I have seen axamples of other backgrounds.

Would love to have some.

Oh, and Link...if you see this...will you quit being so damn good at Ms. PacMan on C4A?? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
you can add any backround you want just like in windows and the pics can go anywhere on your sd card

thats great, but how do you change the background?

Any procedure to follow?

turn on pandora

hit pandora key

under settings desktop,

desktop again

then click the + under two defalut pics and go to were you put your pics

Here is an archive of a huge number of Pandora themed or sized backgrounds: http://foxblock.pirategames.co.uk/misc/Pandora%20Wallpapers.zip (60MB)

Should be something for almost any taste in there.

It is a collection created quite some time ago by several members of this (or even the old gp32x) forum, therefore I don't take any credit for the images contained in it (apart from the the few I created).

Here is an archive of a huge number of Pandora themed or sized backgrounds: http://foxblock.pirategames.co.uk/misc/Pandora%20Wallpapers.zip (60MB)

Should be something for almost any taste in there.

It is a collection created quite some time ago by several members of this (or even the old gp32x) forum, therefore I don't take any credit for the images contained in it (apart from the the few I created).
Thanks.  Now where do I put them so that I can pick them in my desktop setting?

As per Kirkanos post above, you can put them anywhere - you just click the + to add the one you want in the desktop settings dialog box, and you'll then be able to direct it to the file you want to add. Then it'll know where the file is located so you can choose it.
Naturally, you'll want to have it somewhere it'll always be accessible - so not on a card that won't be inserted all the time.

As per Kirkanos post above, you can put them anywhere - you just click the + to add the one you want in the desktop settings dialog box, and you'll then be able to direct it to the file you want to add. Then it'll know where the file is located so you can choose it.

Naturally, you'll want to have it somewhere it'll always be accessible - so not on a card that won't be inserted all the time.
Well, is there any way to save them in other location where they will just be in the Pandy?

Because I have possible cause to switch cards.

Although, Card one is my main card where most of my programs are...and this would be the better place, as it's less likely to be switched - because Card 2 is my MEDIA card, and that could get changed, depending on if I am watching movies.

All my music and other MEDIA...which is used frequently is on the 2nd card I normally have inserted.

Card 1 is far less likely to be switched.

HOWEVER...I always take that card out and use a Card Reader to add or delete stuff from it - because I'm old-fashioned and more comfortable with that method versus hooking Pandy up to a computer...whcih I honestly do not even know how to do.

The card reader is the way I'm most comfortable with.

what I was wondering was...is there a way to use Thunar...after the images are on card...to move them to NAND...so that they then will also be able to be picked as options in the Desktop Settings, the way the defaults are able to be picked?

Am I making sense here about what I'm actually wanting...and how I want to be able to pick it?

right now, there's only two choices.

Well, is there any way to save them in other location where they will just be in the Pandy?

Because I have possible cause to switch cards.

Although, Card one is my main card where most of my programs are...and this would be the better place, as it's less likely to be switched - because Card 2 is my MEDIA card, and that could get changed, depending on if I am watching movies.

All my music and other MEDIA...which is used frequently is on the 2nd card I normally have inserted.

Card 1 is far less likely to be switched.

HOWEVER...I always take that card out and use a Card Reader to add or delete stuff from it - because I'm old-fashioned and more comfortable with that method versus hooking Pandy up to a computer...whcih I honestly do not even know how to do.

The card reader is the way I'm most comfortable with.

what I was wondering was...is there a way to use Thunar...after the images are on card...to move them to NAND...so that they then will also be able to be picked as options in the Desktop Settings, the way the defaults are able to be picked?

Am I making sense here about what I'm actually wanting...and how I want to be able to pick it?

right now, there's only two choices.
Use the file manager to copy and paste it into your nand from your sd card.

When you open Thunar ( for example just double clicking an SD card on your desktop) on the left you will see your sd card's/File system/Desktop/yourpandoraname ( example, card 1 name is Pandora, card 2 name is MEDIA) Go to  ( File system > Home > "ur pandora name" ) copy and paste into there. Right click > set as wallpaper

Why is this thread in general? This is a support/help thread....it should be in support 

OK, I'll move it then.

I got everything I needed now, except two things I'd like.

One is the orange screen that went with 1.51, I liked that.

The other is to know where op-drops.png is actually located...so I could put all the other pictures in that same place, so that they would STAY in there and I could pick from them ALL instead of loading one at a time, every time I want to change background, until I find one I like...because, as it is...only the original two choices plus the one you're currently using stay in the selection drop-down in Settings.  Then, if you change it...the original two plas the NEW ONE are the only ones that stay, the old one no longer shows in the drop down, next time you open it.

But at least the files are now not on my SD Card, so that it is not dependent on a specific card being inserted for my background.

Moving topic!!

Open the File Manager (Thunar) and click on 'File System' -

The inbuilt backdrops are located currently in:

usr/share/xfce4/backdrops

Don't go to town loading truckloads of images though, the Nand space is limited!

And keep a backup on your SD cards in case you need to do a firmware flash - you'll lose anything you've dumped into the Nand memory.

It does not let me paste anything into the backdrops....

Also, is there a way to change the color of the name of the program below the icon on the desktop.  My fonts are all in white.  some of these backgrounds would be better with black lettering instead of white.

I can change the size of icons and whatnot...but seen nowhere where I can change the color of the lettering below the icons.

It does not let me paste anything into the backdrops....
The desired destination being located in part of the system's memory, you'll have to copy them using the terminal and your password, you know, the 'sudo su' command to get permission to perform the task.

I'm not sure if there's an equivalent access method without using the terminal?

If you cannot paste something to a directory, it might be owned by root. Start the filemanager from a terminal with sudo thunar or use the terminal alltogether to copy your files with sudo cp ... .

Be careful if you have a filemanager with rootrights. You can delete everyhing then.

sudo thunar

in a terminal is probably the easiest way. (you will be prompted for your password)

This will run thunar (the file manager) with superuser (aka root) powers, giving you full read/write access to everything for one session.

OK, I could try that.

Any way to change the text color of the lettering that goes with the icons?

Thanks for the deviant art site, but I have enough different wallpapers now.  I just like to change them every once in a while, so I don't get miserable.

The only three things I can think of that I might like in a background that I could not find were..

The Aurora Borealis

The Horsehead Nebula

A Retro-80's look, kinda like how Max Headroom looked, I guess...something like that, anyway.

Going to try the sudo thunar thing

Update...ok, sudo thunar thing did what I wanted.  I now have ten choices in my wallpaper all in there, including the original two

Still wish I could also get my hands on the orange that came with 1.51  I kinda liked that.

OK, great...now if there's a way to change the font color of the icons...so that ones that would look better with darker colored text would work out even better.

Anyway, thanks for all this.  I don't want to go crazy loading too many things in there.  I just wanted a few extra choices in there, because I do get miserable with the same wallpaper for too long.

Still wish I could also get my hands on the orange that came with 1.51  I kinda liked that.
If you have the 1.51 firmware image, you could unpack it on your PC and search for the relevant image in the resulting files - should be easy enough to find *.png or whatever it was in there.

Back