Backports To N8x0 Series Devices?

palmertech

I know that there obviously needs to be a dev interested in doing so, but how easily would pandora applications be backported to the Nokia internet tablets? 3D stuff would be a joke on its crippled video pipeline, but what about some homebrew, or possible some emulators beyond the NES gen? Seems like a lot of common hardware, not sure how hard it is to move between devices.

the nokia tablets can barely run gameboy games lol. they are only good for web browsing IMO.

If no one did it for GP32 or GP2X emulators after all this time then I don't really see it happening now. Possible because the Nokia tablets don't really have good controls for console emulation (but that doesn't stop emulation from being popular on iPhone, somehow)

Last edited by a moderator:
SDL and 2D games in general can quite easily be ported to the N8x0 tablets (if not outright executing without recompile, which is also a viable option in some cases. The PandoraPanic version for Pandora is pretty close to running on my N800, it just needs a different version of one single library. The rest is library-compabitle. Other tests also indicates that interoperability is possible.)

'Exophase' said:
If no one did it for GP32 or GP2X emulators after all this time then I don't really see it happening now. Possible because the Nokia tablets don't really have good controls for console emulation (but that doesn't stop emulation from being popular on iPhone, somehow)
Five words (total): Install Base.

Exophase said:
I'm thinking it more that they didn't see the N800 as a games platform more than anything else- without a perceived user base like the iPhone has (even though the N800/N810 has a sizable base that'd be a good market to go into...) anyone thinking games isn't going to think about it because of the clumsy control situation on that handheld. All one needs for many of the titles is a proper build against the SDL there for most of this stuff, I think, to get it to mostly work on the N8x0 units.

Back