Ports Of Maemo Apps

chad78

Website
Visit site
I have (and love!) a Nokia N800. There is so much it can do, and a tons of apps that are written for, or ported to, this handy handheld.

The Nokia NSeries Internet Tablets (the N800, N810, and N810 WiMax Edition) are similar to the Pandora in a number of ways - they both use Linux, they both use 800 x 480 4 inch touchscreen, they both use ARM processors (although the Pandora's processor is much faster), they both run a version of Debian.

Now, my question is - how hard would it be to get Maemo applications to run on a Pandora? Since all the apps' GUIs are already optimized for the screen, wouldn't that be a good starting place?

To give you an idea for those who do not have and may not of ever heard of a Nokia Internet Tablet, here are some apps that are out for it:
  1. at least 3 good media players
  2. a full web browser based on Firefox called microB (Can use some addons like AdBlocker and NoScript)
  3. emulators! NES/SNES/MAME/ScummVM/etc
  4. PDF Reader
  5. RSS Reader
  6. Weather Updater
  7. Image organizer
  8. Text editor
  9. Drawing program
  10. TuxPaint!
  11. Games like Mah Jonng, Sudoku, Solitaire, Super Tux, etc.
  12. Skype and Gizmo Project
  13. Comic Book Reader
  14. Sword Project Reader
Maybe some will be easier to port than others. I'm sure if they rely too much on the touch screen keyboard or whatever, then it might be harder. I just thought if the Pandora could run those apps - it would save a lot of time reinventing the wheel with the "Standard" apps that are already out there.

chad78 said:
I have (and love!) a Nokia N800. There is so much it can do, and a tons of apps that are written for, or ported to, this handy handheld.
There's a thread on this subject over in the Developer's area. :)

Basically, it's something that people are toying about with right now. I'd be all for it if we went that route where feasible- it'd make the UMPC stuff a bit easier and you'd get a goodly portion of very nice apps mostly out of the gate (Just recompile for our distribution version where merited...). But I'm not one of the blokes with the say in the matter... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back