Backup - clean wipe

ora

Still Fresh
Hi,

As I mentioned in a different thread I have two new Pandoras and I want to do a clean install. So I have a few beginner questions.

1.What's the best way to backup all the data on the Pandora ? I don't want to lose any ROMS.

2.Is there a step-by-step guide to re-install the OS and can I use any flavor of Linux with the Pandora ? Or do I have to use XFCE ?

3.Where can I get all the drivers for the Pandora to make sure I don't loose any functionality ?

Sorry if this seems kinda n00b-ish but I'm still new to this and I don't want to mess up my system.

Hello ora.

1. You 'should' have all of your roms, applications, and PNDs on the SD card, rarely would anyone put roms on the core device as it simply has a very limited amount of free space (generally around 100MB). So if you're concerned, back up your SD card (which is good practice, anyway).

There are some settings stored in /home/yourusername on the device, but those mostly revolve around XFCE configuration and the like. If you want to save those, you can back up that directory, too. I usually don't, the only things I do on a fresh install is setting the wireless key, etc.

2. Reinstalling the OS can be found here: http://openpandora.o...emid=40&lang=en I'd recommend following the instructions under "Complete firmware image including all Hotfixes 2011-10 (Zaxxon)".

Technically you can install other OS's (I have Debian on an SD card, I think a few people are also interested in Gentoo), but for typical use, use the firmware and instructions on the link above.

3. Drivers should all be in the firmware above. You'd only need to install others if you were experimenting with other operating systems.

Technically you can install other OS's (I have Debian on an SD card, I think a few people are also interested in Gentoo), but for typical use, use the firmware and instructions on the link above.

What bootloader is Pandora using , grub ?

Have you installed it to dual boot with Debian ?

If so , can you please show me your grub config file so I can get a clue ?

It uses uboot. I have no clue, how to setup debian on a sdcard, but you should REALLY just use the fullflash with the original os on the nand. It just works best with the pndsystem anyways.

You can install other osses on a sdcard later on. So dualbooting would just be putting another card in it.

You know, that you can't just use any linux you want?

It has to be an arm linux distribution!

Edit: Booting other os from sdcard is not as straight forward, as you might think... Or as on your x86 pc by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a good question is what do you plan on using it for, ora?

Are you just installing the OS to the NAND on the device itself for games and genral Pandora usage? If so, I'd recommend just following the instructions linked above. The instructions should take you through the whole process.

If you're looking to do some development work, or just tinkering with other operating systems, then I'm sure we can find you some links to Debian installs (on the SD card, too big for the internal NAND).

Well , I plan to use it as everything i can use it as. A games console , a mini computer , and I'd like to toy around with its settings and OS.

You see , my Laptop has Windows 7 since I play games on it , so despite having dual boot with Ubuntu i never learn anything about Linux. The Pandora gives me this opportunity , but I admit using a non supported OS may be jumping ahead of myself by a lot.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - I reinstalled the OS and it went quickly.

Unfortunately I can't get the codec pack to load. I tried everything and it keeps failling to run the file.

Also , I think I have a dead pixel that is constantly green.What do you think ? Screen or connector ? Weird thing is I didn't notice it before this.

Also , could you please point me in the direction of some good emulators you have worked with and recommend ?

Download the codec pack again. Probably a bad dl.

Dunno about dead pixel.

Well, emulator choice is vast. I personally enjoy PicoDrive because i like the megadrive/genesis.

Play mame4all and PCSX Rearmed too.

the codec pack, like every other pnd, needs to be in your SDNAME/pandora/desktop or SDNAME/pandora/menu folder to show on the desktop. than just run the thing! if it failed, redownload the pnd, or if you downloaded from pandora, try downloading on a better connection on your pc

the codec pack, like every other pnd, needs to be in your SDNAME/pandora/desktop or SDNAME/pandora/menu folder to show on the desktop. than just run the thing! if it failed, redownload the pnd, or if you downloaded from pandora, try downloading on a better connection on your pc

Ok yeah , that was my bad. I used find to locate a "pandora" directory but it was /usr/pandora and i created desktop and menu there and wondered why everything failed to load.

Now that i have them in the root directory of the sd card and everything is fine. Thanks.

Back