Bacteria's Gp2x Mod With Rotating Screen Finished

Wow, nice job! It's great for vertical shooters since most of them do not require the user to push many buttons at once. A screenshots of video of you playing a MAME vertical shmup would be great :D

A r k - The MAME vertical shooters you play with screen rotation only use one or two buttons; nothing fancy. For example, PacMan doesn't use any, Galaga uses one, 1942 uses two, Pengo uses one, Gorf uses one.

fatdad - The link is their main page, what was the item you were referring to on their page; and what did you have in mind? I might be able to give you feedback on the idea...

There have been thoughts from fellow posters about the button layout so I thought I would explain - with the size of the unit, my left hand holds the unit securely and comfortably (due the being the right thickness) and my thumb sits on the D-pad naturally. It is natural to hold the bottom of the case against the chest, the right hand rests naturally over the A and B buttons; I can easily and very quickly just slide my right palm up and down a fraction for the other buttons; it is no different to feeling the keys when touch typing. It is really easy and natural feeling: take my word for it.

There is no perfect button layout, I have used many commercial controllers which feel really bad (official N64 controller comes to mind for one) to use.

My next "super" project will need to incorporate six buttons (for MegaDrive, N64 A, B and 4 x C buttons), I will consider either having a sixth button in a line as per this project, or may make the buttons in a slight semi-circle arc - not sure yet. This design really does feel nice, I just need to see if I need to tweak it a little or not.

bacteria said:
A r k - The MAME vertical shooters you play with screen rotation only use one or two buttons; nothing fancy. For example, PacMan doesn't use any, Galaga uses one, 1942 uses two, Pengo uses one, Gorf uses one.

fatdad - The link is their main page, what was the item you were referring to on their page; and what did you have in mind? I might be able to give you feedback on the idea...
There have been thoughts from fellow posters about the button layout so I thought I would explain - with the size of the unit, my left hand holds the unit securely and comfortably (due the being the right thickness) and my thumb sits on the D-pad naturally. It is natural to hold the bottom of the case against the chest, the right hand rests naturally over the A and B buttons; I can easily and very quickly just slide my right palm up and down a fraction for the other buttons; it is no different to feeling the keys when touch typing. It is really easy and natural feeling: take my word for it.

There is no perfect button layout, I have used many commercial controllers which feel really bad (official N64 controller comes to mind for one) to use.

My next "super" project will need to incorporate six buttons (for MegaDrive, N64 A, B and 4 x C buttons), I will consider either having a sixth button in a line as per this project, or may make the buttons in a slight semi-circle arc - not sure yet. This design really does feel nice, I just need to see if I need to tweak it a little or not.

sorry http://www.brilliantstore.com/sony_psp_vid...l_cpa_1110.html

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria: Yeah, that's exactly what I meant :p since they don't use many buttons your mod works like a charm for vertical shmups :D

A r k - Yes, indeed.

fatdad said:
bacteria i posted this on another thread and i think a man with your skills could make this idea a winner....i was thinking of getting one of these and doing some surgery on it to fit the gp2x..

http://www.brilliantstore.com/sony_psp_vid...l_cpa_1110.html

change the internel batteries to 2500mah etc...

fatdad - (I looked at the link you mentioned): Sorry, not ideal - it would be far better and easier to make your own than try to make this one fit, also the side grips would probably restrict holding area and make the GP2x harder to operate than it already is, and you need more than 2500mAh to make it worthwhile. It would make more sense to put 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 cells in parallel, mod the case back to fit them with a battery holder (and keep the extra height down).

bacteria said:
A r k - Yes, indeed.

fatdad said:
bacteria i posted this on another thread and i think a man with your skills could make this idea a winner....i was thinking of getting one of these and doing some surgery on it to fit the gp2x..

http://www.brilliantstore.com/sony_psp_vid...l_cpa_1110.html

change the internel batteries to 2500mah etc...

fatdad - (I looked at the link you mentioned): Sorry, not ideal - it would be far better and easier to make your own than try to make this one fit, also the side grips would probably restrict holding area and make the GP2x harder to operate than it already is, and you need more than 2500mAh to make it worthwhile. It would make more sense to put 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 cells in parallel, mod the case back to fit them with a battery holder (and keep the extra height down).

thanks for your input :D

no dude its good looking, liek something outta The Flintstones :) whats that next big major project you mentioned?

please youtube some videos!

Back