Bad Karma

hobbyman II

just a quick heads-up for any Linux enthusiasts, anyone planning to upgrade to Karmic Koala may want to wait a while, although the liveCD ran fine on my system, the full install hosed my networking configs, disabled my wireless (wrong drivers), somethings wrong with Xorg (sometimes doesn`t start), video playback crashes desktop session back to login screen, firefox is unusably slow, taskbar corruption with some applets, sound stutters, battery status not reported correctly, several applications lost, 3d acceleration not working, etc, now restoring 8.10 backup, atm its just a waste of your bandwidth to download it imo.

hobbyman II said:
just a quick heads-up for any Linux enthusiasts, anyone planning to upgrade to Karmic Koala may want to wait a while, although the liveCD ran fine on my system, the full install hosed my networking configs, disabled my wireless (wrong drivers), somethings wrong with Xorg (sometimes doesn`t start), video playback crashes desktop session back to login screen, firefox is unusably slow, taskbar corruption with some applets, sound stutters, battery status not reported correctly, several applications lost, 3d acceleration not working, etc, now restoring 8.10 backup, atm its just a waste of your bandwidth to download it imo.

You must be unlucky, I've installed it on two machines now (home built desktop with a random selection of components) and a Samsung NC10, and it's worked flawlessly. You say you lost applications which implies you upgraded rather than clean installed as I did, so maybe that's the problem. I've heard of problems in the past, so backing up docs and installing from scratch might be the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always do a fresh install! Upgrading any linux distro not just Karmic usually ends in disaster for me.. also recently I've found installing the latest graphics drivers while having X server running is a big no-no too.

I've done upgrades before, usually works out fine for me except for minor things here and there. I agree that a clean install is always best, for any OS upgrade, but it's time consuming to re-install everything and set everything back up. Honestly, if you have a spare hard drive kicking around, it's probably wise to image your drive before performing the upgrade. Then, in case of disaster, you can go back to the image and have everything as it was before.

gp32rich said:
And if any win fan boys come here claiming stability you know they getting flamed!
looks like you're in denial buddy

ubuntu sucks a shit

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - just found out Karmic doesn't work with xbmc.. so sticking with Jaunty :)

Kubuntu sucks because they still haven't fixed the network manager on the live cd - don't download if you're expecting wifi out of the box!

Back