Batch Files For Windows Development

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
This all started when .NET had problems with *nix makefiles when I was using it as my IDE. After a while trying to solve the problem, I decided to switch to batch files. Now after repeated tweaks, I think they are ready for public consumption. It's surprising the power you can get out of simple DOS batch files. They have only been tested on Windows XP, but I see no cause for problems on earlier versions. Note that this is currently setup for Gamepark's SDK and GCC 3.4.0.

Quick rundown:

makebat.bat - This is like your Makefile file, it goes in your project directory.
gccsetup.bat - This is like your gp_sdk.mk, it has all the environment variables and is only a big file of "SET" commands. This goes in whatever BIN directory is in your PATH (IE, c:\devkitARM_r6a\bin)
compbat.bat - This file compiles C and C++ files, and accepts multiple files as arguments. All warnings and errors go into the "cerr.txt" file in your Temporary Files directory, but they are also outputted to the screen. This goes in whatever BIN directory is in your PATH.
gcc2vs.exe - A cute little file made by DJWillis which converts gcc-style errors into Visual Studio-style errors. VERY useful if you are using VS as your IDE. This goes in whatever BIN directory is in your PATH.

Changes planned for future versions:

- New version of gccsetup.bat and makebat.bat for Mirko's SDK.
- Compiling all files in your project directory automatically.
- Only compiling if the source file was modified (if there is an object file present).
- Option in makebat.bat and gccsetup.bat to output a *nix compatible makefile to a given filename.
- Various bug fixes.
- Other cool stuff.

please stop.

Batch files are an extremely poor substitute for makefiles.

They should *never* be used for building projects with more than one source file.

make has built in dependency checking which cannot be simulated with batch files - you cannot depend on the code to work unless you rebuild the entire project from scratch.

For simple projects you will rarely see the difference but, as you gain proficiency, you will eventually see your projects failing to work for no readily apparent reason.

gcc2vs.exe is not neccessary for devkitARM - it already outputs errors in msvc format.

generalnmx posted on Jul 20 2004 at 12:20 AM said:
Give me an "advanced project" and we'll see :D
Ok I should give you a hard thing....

I want a zip program that will work as a actually fxe files...

I want all the files packed in a zip file..and then a program to navigate all the files and starts the files like they should...

All the roms in one zip...
All the movies in one zip...you getting that...

If this work I should haver 256 mb files but in zip files so it can fit 128 mb smc...

Is this to hard or what??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back