Batteries Do Not Work At All

markiej

Website
Visit site
I just received a replacement unit two days ago. Since it's a flatline response, and it works fine with the adapter, I'm starting to think there's a loose connection somewhere. I do not want to wait yet another 6 weeks for play-asia to give me another unit. Is there anywhere inside the unit I should look? Should I bother. Those tiny screws are awfully tight - what's the best way to loosen them?

I must say that at first I was able to get power from a battery, but not any more. Please read the description before responding.

Thanks very much for any response,
Mike

Shikaku posted on Sep 16 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
DC Adapter quirk: take it in and out and try with batteries.

Also the battery connectors could be loose...
Just tries the adapter trick and that didn't fix it. The connectors that touch the batteries seem firm. I slightly bent the '-' connector so it would make a firmer fit and that didn't do it either.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Sep 16 2006 at 03:36 PM said:
I think your adapter killed both of your GP2Xs...
Interesting hypothesis, but so you know - this unit works absolutely fine with the adapter.

ugh - sometimes feel I should return the whole package and get a gigabeat instead.

ETA - it's the official adapter.

And with the AC adapter does the unit get hot? Can you run it for very long time? I know I blow up my previous GP32 by using an unregulated AC adapter, then it could work with batteries but for very short time, since after that the unit was awfully hot and then the battery were totally drained.

But atleast you were using the official AC adapter and also said you have use batteries and it did work at the beginning. Hmm what kind of batteries are you trying? Maybe not enough juice in them?

Also did you plug in the AC adapter while the batteries were still in? I think I saw some people got some trouble because of that.

And with the AC adapter does the unit get hot?
not really
Can you run it for very long time?
I had it on for over an hour each of the last two nights, and it seemed fine.

But atleast you were using the official AC adapter and also said you have use batteries and it did work at the beginning.
Barely worked at the beginning. wouldn't turn on until I pressed the start button, which is why I kind of think it's a broken connection somewheres.
Hmm what kind of batteries are you trying? Maybe not enough juice in them?
3 different brands / mamps of nimh's, all full charged (this morning). And fresh energizer alkalines (for argument sake)
Also did you plug in the AC adapter while the batteries were still in? I think I saw some people got some trouble because of that.
Yes, but didn't realize it was an either/or proposition. Tried all combinations today.

Thanks for your advice/concern-mb

It seems you are rather unlucky, you have trade in the first unit since it was faulty, now you get another one and it doesnt look good either 8-(.

Atleast if it work with the AC adapter that means part of the power circuitry is working properly to feed the GP2X. You said you check the battery connector right? From previous discussion in the forums I saw that seem to be a commong problems with earlier unit (when I got my MK2 I check for that) and its true that the connector look a bit not so tight (well with the energizer if fit really tight, but wit the Panasonic I put it feel a bit loose just barely touch the metal). Unless they arent soldered properly to the board? But then you will need to open up the device which aint good idea especially if you want to return it 8-(.

Any other people have ideas of what markiej should check? You could also search the forums for battery problem I am sure someone might have some similar trouble.

I think it is indeed the adapter who fuxxored the gp2x :(.

I had about the same thing:

Batteries were working normally, then I plugged in an adaptor, it was regulated so it should have done no harm.
I used the adapter for like half an hour, after that I tried some batteries, but whatever kind of batteries I used they only worked for 5 mins.

Nobody here knew what it could be so I sent my unit back and got a replacement.

Batteries were working normally, then I plugged in an adaptor, it was regulated so it should have done no harm.
I used the adapter for like half an hour, after that I tried some batteries, but whatever kind of batteries I used they only worked for 5 mins.

Nobody here knew what it could be so I sent my unit back and got a replacement.
Did the next unit survive the malicious adapter?

did you plugin the adapter while the batteries were still inside the GP2X? I am sure to have read somewhere that doing this could cause some trouble.
Sure did. Had no idea it would be a problem. Yikes. I guess I should watch out for that. My problem is that now that I have a functioning unit (at least with the adapter in), I can't bear to part with it, because it will take me 6 weeks to get a replacement. It'll be christmas time by the time I see another one.

But I consider this case closed - final verdict - the adapter is guilty of "fuxxoring" my unit.

Final Follow up Question - should I also go for a new adapter, in the hopes of getting one which won't "fuxxor" the new gp2x?

Thanks to all -Mike

I had the exact same problem with my GP2X. It worked fine when I first got it, but soon wouldn't work with batteries at all. No LED light or anything. However, it would work perfectly well with the AC adapter. I spoke to the place I bought it from (GP2X.co.uk) and they couldn't understand what was wrong either. I sent the unit back to them for them to repair but they couldn't. Instead, they sent me another unit which works fine.
I know you don't want to go without again, but in the long run, I think you're going to have to send it back. You'll regret not sending it sometime later anyway I'm sure.
Not sure what the problm was, but after reading many other posts, it seems like the GP2X is VERY fragile when it has an AC adapter plugged in to it. Any over voltage and it burns things out internally and that also goes for an unregulated adapter. Good luck.

bemani posted on Sep 17 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Not sure what the problm was, but after reading many other posts, it seems like the GP2X is VERY fragile when it has an AC adapter plugged in to it. Any over voltage and it burns things out internally and that also goes for an unregulated adapter. Good luck.
I'm worried because it's behavior with the adapter is most important to me, as I mainly bought it to use while in bed (not like that :ph34r: ), plugged in. I would like to be able to be mobile though. Man, I wish they spent a little more time getting it to behave like a normal appliance, instead of this weird freaky thing.

Usually the plug for ac adapter have a simple switch, that disconnect battery, when it's plugged (meccanical switch btw). Probably it is broken now, and switch off battery all the time.

diegor posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:24 AM said:
Usually the plug for ac adapter have a simple switch, that disconnect battery, when it's plugged (meccanical switch btw). Probably it is broken now, and switch off battery all the time.
This sounds very logical to me - the other stuff sounds too weird (occams razor). I wonder if I opened the GP2X if I could see it and repair it somehow. . .

Any thoughts?

I may not be able to have this returned (a story for another post maybe :angry:), so I might have to:
  • fix this problem myself
  • find someone somewhere to fix this
  • mickey-mouse an external battery (that connects to the AC socket))

Please help me anyone!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks,
Mike

markiej posted on Sep 18 2006 at 07:29 PM said:
diegor posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:24 AM said:
This sounds very logical to me - the other stuff sounds too weird (occams razor). I wonder if I opened the GP2X if I could see it and repair it somehow. . .

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem a few days ago, and diegor is right: it was because of that not-so-simple switch.

Suddenly, my GP2X stopped working with the batteries, although it seemed to have no problem with the AC adapter.

I asked in the spanish forums and was told that the problem was that switch.

My girlfriend and me spent the better part of an hour looking for that switch, but we weren't able to find anything X-DD

Anyway, KaosOverride provided the diagrams you can find in that forum, which were really helpful. I have a full-working GP2X again :)

In the picture, you would plug the AC adapter from the right side.

I used two pins from the left side (the side where the "bulk" of the GP2X is) in order to lift small metal tab you can find in the small "black box".

I'm pretty sure nobody will be able to figure out anything from this explanation, but it's not my fault: it's my English teacher's :)

Hope it helps

Anyway, KaosOverride provided the diagrams you can find in that forum, which were really helpful. I have a full-working GP2X again :)
I searched and could not find the link (the only link I could find did not work. Could you please provide access to the diagrams?

I used two pins from the left side (the side where the "bulk" of the GP2X is) in order to lift small metal tab you can find in the small "black box".
Did you have to take the back cover off to do this? If so, what type of screwdriver will do this - would an eyeglass screwdriver work? Also, did you insert the pins inside the black box, and, if so where?

I would not mind if I put this switch in the permanent 'on' position, I would leave my batteries out until I need them.
I'm pretty sure nobody will be able to figure out anything from this explanation, but it's not my fault: it's my English teacher's :)
your English is terrific. gracias mucho por tu ayuda (google's spanish not mine)

Back