BATTERY POWER MOD!

Arakon

Still Fresh
Well here is the short, I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that the GP32 uses different levels of power at different times, during bootup it uses next to nothing ( I assume that the core at this point is running at 33 Mghz), but when you run a program like WB32 (an emu) it clocks the cpu up to 133mghz, which makes it a power hungry fiend.

Well you can tell when your batteries can no longer sustain the juice it needs to run the GP32 at 133 because the screen gets all flickery and it reboots. Enter the problem. I ran out of batteries, naturally I am distressed because I was really enjoying the FF game on WB32. SO I gank the batteries out of my GBA; no go those were too low to sustain the voltage as well. Then I looked over at my GBA rechargable battery pack...

The GBA and the GP32 run on the same voltage (3 V).

The polarities on the GBA battery pack are reversed so I had to run wires to the correct connectors. Also the battery connectors are on the wrong side to connect to to the proper contacts of the GP32, but this actually worked out to be an advantage because there would not be room to make the proper connection other wise.

This is a pretty rudimentary mod, but damn its better than constanly buying batteries. The GBA battery set I used has a stand that allows it to recharge like a cordless phone. Games on the go anyone? Just charge your GP32 overnight and you'll allways have a good charge.

Any GBA charge pack should work. I'd post pictures and diagrams but my webspace is limited (and actuallyalready overfull, the ISP hasn't noticed yet ;) )

:huh: well... I think I knew it from the beginning...

I've ordered 2 power sources for my GP32 but
still waiting for the parsel.

Adn.. I'd rather mod the power source than GP32...

:) my point exactly, I haven't done a thing to my gp32, I've just adapted a GBA power pak to a GP32 power Pak.

I haven't seen anywhere to get a GP32 power pak, but I can't read korean. :p

Back