Battlejewels Build 050, Hot Off The Stovepipe

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Theres not a huge number of evident changes since the GBAX build, but some goodies you'll hopefully like; theres a pile of behind the scenes changes and some bugfixes (the Skelly nolonger cheats, eep!), and planning ahead for the levelling and experience system, new gear, more classes etc.

Some of the more obvious changes..
o Load and Save slots -- you can have 4 saves now, so you can try more classes out for instance
o New Friar class -- mostly pure defence with a heal-over-time, damage reflection shield and cure-poison spells
o Some interesting new mechanics; damage over time, poison over time, heal over time, and some other buffs/debuffs, including some simple (not-finalized) icons
o The Knave can fire a poison dart; not sure if he is now overpowered, or if all the classes balance when played their respective way; when I add more opponents, and start gearing them up as you gear up it shouldprove interesting...

I've got some more music tracks to drop in, and lots of things on the go, but haven't had time to wrap it all up for ya.. but thought you might like to fiddle with the changes so far :)

Nab it here for now:
http://www.codejedi.com/battlejewels/binar...ls-gp2x-050.zip

Hope you dig it!

jeff

I keep wondering .. if I add too much more do I run the risk of going 'too far' -- like a painting; you keep touching it up until suddenly, one stroke in, its ruined :p

I was typing in some new gear, and I suddenly hit this 'wtf am I doing' point. Naturally I should make a set of functions that dynamicly create the needed gear for the store on the fly, and I started to think.. omg, thats it, I've just gone too far :p

(So backed out those changes, start thinking about reducing.. fewer stats to make it easier to manage and understand, work on levelling up in a simple way, then add complexity later maybe.. hmmm..)

jeff

well stats and experience should be handled in an rpg lite kind of way with it a bit simpler since the puzzle game is the main reason for playing.

it is good to have a lot of options and content just make sure its never overwhelming for the player.

A life-sign! Nice. :) I will try the new version soon. I hope my savegame is still working. ^^
Oh, and will the X and B Buttons switched to the "official" GP2X Button Layout? (B=Action/confirm X= Cancel ) ?

Life sign? BJ is under constant development .. I just didn't think it 'right' to be posting updates while GBAX was judging.. just confuse the poor judges :)

I've not swapped X and B .. I shoudl set up a vote, but I rather like how it is now; ie: The problem is really due to localization; on a PSP for instance, X is 'act' in North America (europe too?), but in Japan its O. Same sort of thing for GP2X originally but it very quickly went to the 'japan' style (Europe?) .. but I prefer the other style since all my other gadgets use that approach.

So it is tempting to make a optional panel to select it, but thats really Too Much Effort for a Simple Thing :)

Hence why I've resisted so much -- *I* like it one way, but .. what does the majority think? PRolyl the other *(damnit ;)

Should I make a poll? :p

jeff

Savegame should still work.

Though once I add levelling in, savegames will have to be broken, since the game as-is is blending a few early levels; at lvl 1, you start with only 1 spell really, not 2-3 as now :)

jeff

I've tested my old Savegame and it works. Ok, I still can't buy new stuff from the shop same old crap like ever :lol: But I had a new opponent, nice.

Yes, an simple Option menu would be the best where you can switch the Button functions. :) Because I only play GP2X and no other Handheld for me B always was the most used key and many apps use this Button as "Mainbutton" to. Its useful to because with my big hands I can better reach the right B Button by the way :lol:

I'm fine with the layout as is but to please everyone it probably would be could at some point to make the buttons configurable.

keep up the great work. this game was fun from the first version but its been nice to see the steady progress its been making.

MajorShake said:
could someone please pm me a link where i can get some screens and read up on this game? id appreciate it
If you copy the download URL given in the start and cut of the /binaries/...zip part, you get

http://www.codejedi.com/battlejewels/

which seem to be what you want :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is really sweet!

I was impressed how you combined the concept of Bejeweld and Fighting!
Very very very good!

Sorry just really love your game!
Can't wait until the first 1.* version!

Keep up!

Ciao :D

Next release will include levelling up and buying spells and skills too :)

jeff

btw, gem swapper games have been around 10-15 years or more; I'm not sure which started it .. possibly Dr. Mario?

Ahh very sweet!

Gem swapper games, yeah I know they are the for some while but the most popular right now is Bejewelled... ;)

Just a question is this game to see the commercial status or does it stay freeware?
Again I love the game!

Thanks!

I have planned to keep it freeware on GP2x; for other platforms I may or may not go shareware. I am expecting to go shareware on Palm OS and possibly Pocket PC.. but its all up in the air.

jeff

I must object to this game. I havnt seen my gp2x for 2 weeks because of it. You and your so called 'game' has ruined my life and relationshop. My financee prefers to go to bed with the gp2x and a copy of BattleJewels. It's disgusting and shouldnt be allowed. Now I am being nagged to put a new version on. I shall be alerting the authorites about releasing addictive game substances.

Although to be fair she did just get me a nikon dslr :)

semyaza said:
...relationshop..
could you give me the adress of the relationshop? maybe i am in for a new relationship. but wait. if its a relationSHIP, shouldn't it be a relationSHIPYARD? oh my...

regarding battlejewels: superb game! can't wait for the char development to be implemented!

its really a polished, fun and graphical appealing game. it's obvious you know how to produce a high quality piece of software. *applause*

Hey skeezix.

I slept on earlier versions of this gem - now I'm hooked since the actual release - I LOVE THIS GAME. Can't wait for the next release, with levelling, buying skills & spells....

anbeten.gif
icon_bier.gif
yeeeah.gif

Only one sad thing remains, the opponents doesn't get stronger so the game gets a bit too simple after a few fights. But I'm shure you working on it. How can I donate some money for this project?

I'll definately need you guys to be beeting up the next version for sure; I may sign you all up to the mailing list (again for some of you :p) to help coordinate it.

The levelling up process will (likely) need a lot of fiddling and balancing -- which spells on which classes, what order to award them (and at which levle, since cross-pollination depends on that a lot), and skill effectiveness etc.

Opponent levelling will be hard as well .. scaling them to have halfway appropriate gearouts, skillouts, spellouts effective for their classes, and maybe tweaking the AI .. its really a nightmare, much more than the whole game itself :p

Blunt -- if you'd like to donate, you could hit my donatoin object in my Codejedi online store, or buy a version of BJ if I get one together.. I'm hoping to get it out shareware for Palm and Pocket PC but we'll see, as its a lot of work. I'm keeping the GP2X one free though. Or I could give you an address for postcarding :)

Glad you're liking it .. I reall yam proud of BJ; probably one of my best projects ever :)

jeff

Kudos to Stephen for the artwork; the game is huge, but without the artwork it wouldn't get a second glance :)

skeezix said:
Blunt -- if you'd like to donate, you could hit my donatoin object in my Codejedi online store, or buy a version of BJ if I get one together.. I'm hoping to get it out shareware for Palm and Pocket PC but we'll see, as its a lot of work. I'm keeping the GP2X one free though.

Hey skeezix.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've found your "hidden" store and the donation option. Now I've donated for the wonderful "Battlejewels" (qty. 3). Thanks for keeping this great game free for the GP2X community, I can't wait to put my hands on any further versions.

Keep up the good work!

Back