Best Batteries, Charger, & Sd Card For The F200

SNK_FTW

Still Fresh
Hi ^_^
I'm about to order a GP2X F200 and I want the cheapest, most efficient setup for it. I've read the stickies, but they have not been updated in ages. :(
f200pk5.gif

What I want:

1) The longest-lasting (SPECIFIC BRAND & MODEL) batteries available for the F200.~I've gathered that Ansmann Digital 2700s and the Sanyo Superlattice Alloy EVOs are good. Well, are they the best, or are there better? 2) The cheapest solution to play my GP2X via a wall plug.~I've gathered that the official GPH Wall Plug is a waste of money, so I'm curious as to what third party wall plug would be most suitable. I definitely do not want to damage my GP2X. 3) The cheapest 2GB to 4GB SD card that will run without slowdown on my GP2X F200.~ I will not be using my F200 for media files; at least immediately. I'll be using it 99% of the time for SNES, GENESIS, NEO GEO, & Playstation EMU/games.Shipping Info Costs:

I live in the United States. The following stores are in driving distance:
Radio Shack
Best Buy
Circuit City
Electronics Boutique
Staples
All other stores will be online for me - so please factor in shipping costs to Connecticut, USA. (Area Code: 06070)

Thank you!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart/Target/etc Duracell or Energizer with a charger are ~$20.

Newegg.com for memory, $9.50 (+$5 s&h) for a 2GB if you want faster buy a faster card, maybe $3 more.

I wouldn't waste time with "special" batteries, any reasonable quality AA NiMH (over 2500mah) is fine.

More important is to measure their voltages on the 2000mv (milli-volt) scale and match up the closest ones in voltage, mark them in pairs and always keep them together.

Don't leave them in any device (including the charger), when you aren't using them, they will drain. They self-drain, that is normal, just plan on charging them if you have left them for a couple weeks.

The Power Supply is another matter, you need a regulated 3v with the center Negative, this is the symbol to look for: + - (o - -

It should be rated for at least 1 or 2 Amps, 1300mah is fine too, it is 1.3A. Make sure it says regulated on it, that means the voltage shouldn't be above 3.6 before you plug it in, and it shouldn't drop below 3 when you use it.

You would do well to pick up a Digital Multi-Meter from Harbor Freight for $4, the ones I have are as accurate as the Fluke ones at the Community College (just not as robust).

Thank you for your informative response. :)

Now, do I wait for Pandora or not... I suppose I can wait and see :p.

I'd be purchasing a GP2X / Pandora primarily for Neo Geo emulation. (even though the Pandora will most likely end up at decent n64 emulation) However, recently I've discovered that neo geo emulation is possible on the Playstation Portable. How does the Neo Geo emulation on the PSP compare to on the GP2X? Do both run full speed consistantly?

SNK_FTW said:
Hi ^_^
I'm about to order a GP2X F200 and I want the cheapest, most efficient setup for it. I've read the stickies, but they have not been updated in ages. :(
f200pk5.gif

What I want:

1) The longest-lasting (SPECIFIC BRAND & MODEL) batteries available for the F200.~I've gathered that Ansmann Digital 2700s and the Sanyo Superlattice Alloy EVOs are good. Well, are they the best, or are there better? 2) The cheapest solution to play my GP2X via a wall plug.~I've gathered that the official GPH Wall Plug is a waste of money, so I'm curious as to what third party wall plug would be most suitable. I definitely do not want to damage my GP2X. 3) The cheapest 2GB to 4GB SD card that will run without slowdown on my GP2X F200.~ I will not be using my F200 for media files; at least immediately. I'll be using it 99% of the time for SNES, GENESIS, NEO GEO, & Playstation EMU/games.Shipping Info Costs:

I live in the United States. The following stores are in driving distance:
Radio Shack
Best Buy
Circuit City
Electronics Boutique
Staples
All other stores will be online for me - so please factor in shipping costs to Connecticut, USA. (Area Code: 06070)

Thank you!! :wub:

I use the blue walmart batteries and the energizer (both at 2500 mah). The secret to getting the longest life is a good charger. First, get a charger that charges individual cells. Some can only charge in pairs or 4's and will stop when the first battery that gets full, which means the other battery(s) might not be full and this situation will can cause the less charged battery to vent and become permanently weaker. I charge my batteries first in a 1 hour (micro controlled) charger, then in an el-cheapo energizer slow charger for another 3-4 hours and it really makes a difference. And about once every week or 2 I charge them for 16 hours in the slow charger. Adding this routine seems to keep the batteries more healthy. For ac power, I use a multi volt power supply that has a bunch of different connectors on it. It's rated at 1 amp (1000ma) and has always worked fine for my gp2x, gp32 and digital camera for transferring pictures. To be on the safe side with this one, I would go to radio shack and get them to order you a 3v power pack with the right connector on it.

Chris

SNK_FTW said:
Thank you for your informative response. :)

Now, do I wait for Pandora or not... I suppose I can wait and see :p.

I'd be purchasing a GP2X / Pandora primarily for Neo Geo emulation. (even though the Pandora will most likely end up at decent n64 emulation) However, recently I've discovered that neo geo emulation is possible on the Playstation Portable. How does the Neo Geo emulation on the PSP compare to on the GP2X? Do both run full speed consistantly?
I wouldn't wait for the pandora, but that's me. A bird in the hand... Not to mention the price difference. I've never used a psp, but the Neo Geo emulation on the gp2x is pretty much perfect with the games I've used with no slow downs at all. You also have to worry about sony messing with your setup if you use commercial games.

Chris

SNK_FTW said:
The cheapest 2GB to 4GB SD card that will run without slowdown on my GP2X F200.
Well, i know you said 2gb or 4gb, but I would recommend the 8gb kingston sd card. Got one for a decent price on ebay, and I am very happy with its price/performance. I have read other users on this forum that have had great results with the same sd card on the f-200, so I think you can take that as a guaranteed good card...
With those emu's you listed, unless you are pretty conservative with your rom copying and only have a handful at once on the system, you will hit your 2gb limit very quickly. Especially if you start using the bigger roms for MAME/NeoGeo/CPS2 emulation.

One time.

Believe it or not, (after much consideration) I opted for an F-100. Yes, I know people complain of the joystick, but I was fond of the neogeo pocket color's joystick and I don't play many fighters so I'm willing to give it a shot. Now, onto another question..

What is recommended as an SD card for the GP2X? I don't know whether SDHC is feasible or not. Does the SD card affect the emulation speed at all? Thanks for you guys' help so far.

The F100 is fine if you have a MK2 with a new joystick, it just won't last.

I buy mine on ebay for under $150, that way I don't lose as much money.

As for an SD card, just get one rated at 100x or above, and read the reviews to see if the people are getting that speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....40&name=2GB

Don't buy any rated at 66x or lower, and 80x is kind of on the line.

Does anyone have experience with SDHC in the GP2X?

i'm using an 8 gb sdhc class 6 transcend card on my F200 and it works great

i use a transcend multiple card reader too, and the speed is amazing

i can copy to it 1 gb in like a minute

Duddyroar said:
If you're expecting the F100 stick to be as good as the one on the NeoGeo Pocket, then prepare for disappointment my friend. :(
Lol yeah I figured it wouldn't be as good.. :(

nubie said:

I don't know what you mean by this post. Do the MK2 joysticks break easily? Does GPH have a replacement program?

I got my F100 for $119 @ Dynamism. There are so many joystick mods out there, I don't know which one is the best.. :(

SNK_FTW said:
Duddyroar said:
If you're expecting the F100 stick to be as good as the one on the NeoGeo Pocket, then prepare for disappointment my friend. :(
Lol yeah I figured it wouldn't be as good.. :(

nubie said:

I don't know what you mean by this post. Do the MK2 joysticks break easily? Does GPH have a replacement program?

I got my F100 for $119 @ Dynamism. There are so many joystick mods out there, I don't know which one is the best.. :(

By saying that he buys them for under $150 I assume he is implying that the gp2x itself breaks often. I've had mine since July and have not had any issues with build quality (knock on wood) But I'm a fairly light user and I take good care of it. The GP32's joystick is about a billion times better than the gp2x. I never understood why they went with a new design (unless they licensed the design and didn't want to license it again) for the gp2x. Who cares about using the joystick as a button? That is the only (albeit minor) advantage over the gp32's stick but the gp32's stick has many advantages over the gp2x's stick. Now if your coming from an iPaq (there are tons of games and emulators for the pcoket pc) the gp2x's stick is awesome:)

Chris

Back