Best C46 And Speccy Emus For F200

pubzombie

hi peeps could anybody recommend the best compatible commodore 64 and spectrum emulators for f200 please. i fancy playing the julian gollop classics chaos and laser squad
cheers

I would also be interested to know if gp2xspectrum works on the f200, anyone tested it yet?

It hasn't appeared in the compatability thread.

@pubzombie, I read somewhere that vice is working but I don't know about frodo? :)

dosteridge said:
I would also be interested to know if gp2xspectrum works on the f200, anyone tested it yet?

It hasn't appeared in the compatability thread.

@pubzombie, I read somewhere that vice is working but I don't know about frodo? :)
i cant seem to get either working correctly yet but that may be down to me as i am but a noob

Last edited by a moderator:
pubzombie said:
i cant seem to get either working correctly yet but that may be down to me as i am but a noob
Vice + Frodo work without problem on the F200
In Frodo, search for a rom and then load the first rom available. Not that hard.

b_o_b said:
pubzombie said:
Vice + Frodo work without problem on the F200
In Frodo, search for a rom and then load the first rom available. Not that hard.

not that hard is relative i suppose, I am overweight, mildly dyslexic, totally dysfunctional, got flat feet, a perforated eardrum, my misses nags me, and i had an uphill paper round when i was a kid. :lol:
ok will try again. at the danger of sounding totaly redundant - i may be back
cheers

Actually it can be a lot harder than that. Firstly frodo games dont come on roms

In frodo search for a .d64 or .t64 rather than a rom and then either load first program (with the .t64) or load the disk browser because some games are not the first file on the disk causing errors. You might find the actual game file is about 3 lines down.

If you want to do it the old fasioned way put an adf in the drive and in the c64 environment type

load "$",9 to bring up the directory and
load "<insert filename>",8,1 to load the game or load"*",8,1 to try and load the first game

foleyjo said:
Actually it can be a lot harder than that. Firstly frodo games dont come on roms

In frodo search for a .d64 or .t64 rather than a rom and then either load first program (with the .t64) or load the disk browser because some games are not the first file on the disk causing errors. You might find the actual game file is about 3 lines down.

If you want to do it the old fasioned way put an adf in the drive and in the c64 environment type

load "$",9 to bring up the directory and
load "<insert filename>",8,1 to load the game or load"*",8,1 to try and load the first game
i see said the blind man,
cheers will try it

foleyjo said:

Of course they don't. Just tried to be newbie friendly :)

I loaded Vice2X onto my new F200 yesterday. It works brilliantly and was one of the easiest installs on my new machine. No extracting rom zips at all.

The only catch is that disk load times are comprable to the old 1541 drives, so some games take 4 minutes to load even in Warp Mode, 250Mhz (which can run at a stunning 105% of regular mode). However you can save snapshots and load games instantly afterward.

dosteridge said:
Anyone tried the speccy yet? my decision to buy rests on this :eek:
Yep, doesn't look good. It plays too slow.
I think it has something to do with the underclocking of the emulator. It underclocks to 150/185 I think the touch screen needs more power than the F100 screen and if you underclock it too much that can cause problems.
Guess it will not be too difficult for devs to change the clockspeed.

Would like to see a more technical person confirm this.

b_o_b said:
foleyjo said:

Of course they don't. Just tried to be newbie friendly :)

Aye I thought that but if someone goes searching for C64 roms they might just end up with the basic and kernal roms and not any games. That could be annoying.

@Trevor turn off the 1541 drive emulation and it speeds up loading but becomes less compatable with all games

i have tried gpspectrum but couldn't get it to pick up the image file for chaos. chaos image runs fine on an old spectrum emu i have on a windows 95 machine at work - always good to 'while away' an hour or two of company time. will try some others. think i have battle cars somewhere

Retroid said:
foleyjo said:

Good to see I'm not the only one with that bugbear! :D
I just remember when I started out with emulation and searched for C64 and Amiga roms and struggled to find the games

Back