GP2X Best Ide For Gp2x

MadDog

Website
www.maddoggames.com
Ok, my initial excitement at getting .net 2003 working was missed place. I've got it compiling, creating libs and linking. But the dependencies are all screwed. :(
2.0 firmware has really made a big improvment to the turn around from code change to test, but this is killed because dotnet does not notice i've changed stuff.
On the good side, i've learnt some gcc stuff. :D

So i'm on the search for the definitive gp2x dev enviroment.

I have the following options.

1) Write a plugin for 2003 to manage the build. Would not be a compiler plugin thing like you get with the Intel tool chain, tried to do that and the API is hell!
I've done a plugin once before for dev6 and a net yarose I had. Boils down to a button to press to compile. Would be a kind of build script created on the fly.

2) Grab that free version of 2005 MS are giving away and try out the tut on using it, seems the platform targeting is better than 2003.

3) Carry on with Dev C++/ It was ok but did not like the IDE at all.

4) Grab an Linux distro thats aimed for developers and used that. (i'm a Linux noob so have no idea what the top dog IDE is)

What you think? Whats the best plan for a die hard fan of MS development IDE's.

I'd download the free Visual Studio 2005 Microsoft are giving away - that's an excellent ui for 2x development. Just create a makefile project :)

If you're a diehard fan of MS dev studios then I'd stick with them.

Personally I find the debuggers excellent in the MS studio software, but beyond that I don't get much benefit over using kate or kdevelop on linux. For the gp2x I prefer linux since the command line interface and available text editors are just so incredibly good.

You might want to give a try to running linux in vmware on windows. That's what I'm doing at the moment since my main computer doesn't have a linux partition for now.

I think it was Miq that turned me on to Codeblocks. Once I got that set up, I could develop SDL apps that would run on the PC and on GP2X (same code, different binaries, of course).

It uses GCC and GDB just like on the GP2X.

I code/compile/debug in Codeblocks and then open a command prompt and hit 'make' when I am ready to xfer it to the GP2X.

Cool, only took a few mins to set up codeblocks, just built and ran a test app on the gp2x.
So far so good, now to see if I can get the holy grail and debug, although i'll be happy if codeblocks works with my 3d engine as I hadhoped 2003 would. :)

FluffyPanda posted on May 4 2006 at 08:00 PM said:
Personally I find the debuggers excellent in the MS studio software, but beyond that I don't get much benefit over using kate or kdevelop on linux.

I must agree. However, when work buys you a copy of this, and you get used to it, then you find it very difficult (and annoying) trying to use any other editor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used MS Visual Studio for ages, until a friend slipped me a copy of SlickEdit.
Now i'm hooked, SlickEdit is like MSVS with Visual Assist added, but better. :D
SlickEdit costs around $250, so it's almost free anyway.
Check out www.slickedit.com

Back