Best Video Game Music

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Video games are meant to invoke feelings within us, whether its anger, peace, etc.
A large part of this is aided by the music within the games.

So I put it to you, which game has stuck in our mind as having a great soundtrack?

For me, it would be Final Fantasy X. The music is so beautiful, sometimes even painfully tragic, but always befitting the mood of the game. I still find myself humming the music to this day, especially 'To Zanarkand' and it's the only soundtrack (movie or video game) I've ever bought.

What do you think?

Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga - very atmospheric with the creepy forests and underground levels - almost made you forget there was little to no gameplay to be had ... rock hard too :D

The tunes from Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3D are mostly superb, plus I love anything by Tommy Tallarico (Earthworm Jim, Cool Spot, Global Gladiators etc). Skull Monkeys and the Neverhood both have great music by Terry Scott Taylor, and the stuff in F-Zero X is great too. Also ToeJam & Earl and Chuck Rock. There's just so many! Decap Attack as well, that has the best title theme ever, I reckon.

And if it's emotions you're looking for, the music in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES take me back to a time when the biggest worry in life was whether it would be raining on your birthday.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about Rocket Knight Adventures, another beauty! And I'd also say Crazy Taxi, but that wouldn't really count, would it?

Everyone knows that the best game soundtracks are for the Mega Man series, 2 and 3 in particular. Another obvious answer is Metroid. I don't really notice the music in most new games, to be honest, save for the theme played at the title screen. Most new games only provide atmosphere with their soundtracks, rather than anything memorable.

Chrono Trigger. It wins, hands down. Anybody who disagrees shall feel my wrath.

Final Fantasy and Mega Man - two great music series.

If it comes to your city - you all should absolutely check out Video Games Live - my 60+ year old neighbor who doesn't play games, loved it as much as I did. (She works as an usher at the theater where it was.) Awesome music.

Heavenly Sword - a very original style (sort of Bhangra mixed with Orchestral) that creates an extremely moody effect.

I know this sounds generic and all, but my favorite was OOT, mainly due to the ocarina playing portions.
not really sure if it counts as music, but i can remember the majority of the tunes. that and halo, MGS, metroid, outrun, and ghosts and goblins.

OMG! nobody has said castlevania: symphony of the night yet, which is supposed to be one of the finest examples of video game music ever.

I'll go with the music from Baten Kaitos (the original one. Didn't get a chance to play Origins because it wasn't released in Europe :angry: ). I think it's the only music from a game that I have actively sought out to listen to because the score was just fantastic.

Need to find another copy of the game to play it again. What's with gamecube games these days? I know stores stopped selling them but whenever stores have them they are at ridiculously high prices compared to when the GC was Nintendo's main console.

Ganepark32 said:
What's with gamecube games these days? I know stores stopped selling them but whenever stores have them they are at ridiculously high prices compared to when the GC was Nintendo's main console.

Have you tried Cex? They're still nice and cheap. Got Ikaruga there for £9 (the GameCube version).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back