Best Western RPGs?

Quest for Glory 1, 2, 3, & 4
Shame on me for not including those, though in my mind I primarily classify them as an adventure.

I like how you correctly omitted part V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elder Scrolls : Daggerfall and Morrowind, NeverWinter Nights 1&2 and Nox(more a hack'n'slash than a RPG).

I had a lot of fun with that last one, the dialogs were quite humorous (it reminded me Simon the Sorcerer).

Ohh, and I played, on the amber monochrome passive matrix LCD (YAY GHOSTING \o/) form my father's laptop, the Ishar series from Silmarils, it was awesome!

I'm just starting to play these myself, but I heard good things about the Amber Trilogy by Thalion Software, on Amiga.

Information and downloads here:

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/amberstar/amberstar.html

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/ambermoon/ambermoon.html

Apparently, Albion for DOS is a kind of unofficial conclusion, since it was made mostly by the same team. I haven't tested it to see if it works well in DOSBox, though.

I loved Amberstar and Ambermoon and would love to replay Ambermoon...

However, it's too slow on an A500, it's more fun on an A4000.

No engine exists :( (

Albion is... well, okay, but I didn't like it as much as Ambermoon.

Sad that the third part of the trilogy never saw the light of the day :(

I resisted RPGs for a long time - I'm hoping to rediscover some classics via the Pandora. The game that finally got me into them was Mass Effect. After that I played KOTOR (brilliant; epic), but the game that I've lost most hours on is Morrowind.

Dungeon Master and Chaos sequel and of course captive (All on the Atari ST of course) are my all time favs. Plus I love the entire Ultima series with my fav being ultima 2.

Funny, I liked part 5 much more than 1 or 2..

But that might stem from the fact that I played 5 first ;)
Part V seemed to much a forced effort to please the fanbase. It was a big reference to all other parts to tie loose ends and as a result felt rather bland and out of place to me.

The graphical/stylistic change was totally unnecessary and only made things look and feel worse. The combat wasn't too good either and a bit unbalanced and the competition somehow just felt wrong. And then there were the bugs.... It almost felt like a Bethesda game without community patches.

It certainly isn't a bad game, but I don't think it fits the series very well. I need to freshen up my memory of the game though, haven't played it in a long time.

I loved Amberstar and Ambermoon and would love to replay Ambermoon...

However, it's too slow on an A500, it's more fun on an A4000.

No engine exists :( (
Someone was working on one, but it looks like it's been abandoned, unfortunately:

http://amberworld.sourceforge.net/

To be honest, I'm starting out with Dragonflight just because it's the first and seems to be the easiest to get running.

I'm waiting until john4p adds a "numpad" mode for the d-pad in UAE4All before I start playing, because it's really tedious to control it otherwise.

I really like WoW... but it just took up too much time. Had to quit (yes, it can be done).

Otherwise... I liked the QfG series, Fallout, the Diablo's (was a beta tester for II :)

Christopher.

Hi

I can remember waiting in high anticipation for Amiga Dungeon Master all those years ago, Have played many many many since then, my old brain cannot

think of them all but hey it is LOADS. Some got finished some did not, but RPG is my favourite game type, to think this all started with the famous:-

The Crowther and Woods 'Colossal Cave Adventure' game

http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/a_history.html

That is where it all started for me :)

Maybe somebody could get hold of a copy and port it over, that would be good.

Diablo II

Gothic

Mass Effect 1&2

Fallout 3&New Vegas

Oblivion

Dungeon Siege 1&2

Sacred

Spellforce

The Witcher 1, playing right now.. after that

The Witcher 2

Dragon Age

And thanks to gog.com planned for this year:

Baldurs Gate 1&2

Fallout 1&2

Icewind Dale 1&2

Gothic 2

Planescape Tormemt

Neverwinter Nights

I've got a list as long as my arm! Here are some good ones, and the systems that I played them on:

Realms of arkania 2 - dos (haven't tried the others)

Abandoned places - Amiga

Bloodwych - Amiga

Black Crypt - Amiga

Captive 1 & 2 (liberation) - Amiga

Hired guns - Amiga

Eye of the beholder trilogy - Amiga $ PC

Anvil of dawn - PC

Ishar trilogy - Amiga

Elvira 1 & 2 (not a party based RPG)

Waxwork (same as above)

Menzoberranzan - PC

Ravenloft: Strahd's possesion