Better Hinge and LCD Cable Idea

N3Cr0

I want to compare the Pandora's hinge to an old Thinkpad (Don't complain about the dust: once they are a bit dusty, you will never get them completely clean anymore).

The Pandora has this clean flip phone style with the LCD cable inside the hinge.

TP.jpg

The Thinkpad has a notch for the LCD ribbon in the middle of the lid. That may not look that clean, but it's very robust.

LCD.jpg

The hinges are probably the most expensive part: they are small, made of stainless steel, have an opening angle of up to 180° and there are even the Wifi/Bluetooth cables in them.

Wifi.jpg

What I want to say

Passing the LCD cable through in the middle of the lid could solve some problems and has following advantages:

- less stress for the cable

- possibility to use simple, but tough hinges

- less problems with electromagnetic interferences → more possible wiring inside the lid

- modder friendly

AFAIK there is no patent for this design, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you met me in Leipzig you did quite some moddig and had some nice ideas.

Anyone else who wants to get some part of my genius?

Feel free to meet me any time.

:p :p

Remember there 's more than the case.

The connecter for the cable has to be placed at the right position on the board as well.

As long as it works I also like the idea.

is it still possible to open the lid without to touch the rest of the device with that solution?

The connecter for the cable has to be placed at the right position on the board as well.

is it still possible to open the lid without to touch the rest of the device with that solution?
Yes, it is possible. It is just a hole in the lid. A notch on the downside of the bezel and the shell as well.

Yes, it is possible. It is just a hole in the lid. A notch on the downside of the bezel and the shell as well.
I mean if it's still possible.

For now I think the connector is placed where it is on the Pandora (Pretty much on the right side)

Doesn't it have ti be centered to work like this?

If so it might not work as parts on the board might have to be moved.

Changing the mainboard layout would be the technical cleanest way.

However, there should still be some space to pass the cable to the middle INSIDE the base unit.

The only thing which must happen is to redesign the LCD cable, but I guess they have to do this anyway.

At least the Pyra uses a simple cable now instead of the flat and wide LCD Ribbon of the Pandora. :)  I like the idea of solid metal hinges, if ever possible this should be choosen. And even if not, such an cable guidance could allow to make even a plastic hinge part thicker and more durable. i'm still hoping for fibre enhanced plastic as Pyra Case Material. ^^

My hopes for the hinge is that it will stop opening before 180 degrees (or have intermediate opening positions). I never use my pandora fully opened, and it would be nice to not need to fiddle with the position before using the machine.

My hopes for the hinge is that it will stop opening before 180 degrees (or have intermediate opening positions). I never use my pandora fully opened, and it would be nice to not need to fiddle with the position before using the machine.
Well it's technically 170 degrees,but that's not the point.. For me it's far more convenient to use it at it's intended locking position, which is all the way open. It never was intended to be used on a desk or a table, but like a handheld device.

Well it's technically 170 degrees,but that's not the point.. For me it's far more convenient to use it at it's intended locking position, which is all the way open. It never was intended to be used on a desk or a table, but like a handheld device.
While I am usually satisfied with the 170 degree position, it is always nice having options. Sometimes on the couch I rest my hands flat on my lap with the Pandora, while my back is maybe lying at a 45 degree angle. In this case it can more comfortable to adjust the screen to a 135 degree angle or so. Luckily my hinge is stiff enough to hold like that for now, but I expect it will continue to loosen with time and I'll need to add electrical tape to it for added friction.

Well it's technically 170 degrees,but that's not the point.. For me it's far more convenient to use it at it's intended locking position, which is all the way open. It never was intended to be used on a desk or a table, but like a handheld

170 degrees or less sounds nice. My display stands straight out, but this is maybe a production or wear issue though, hearing it should be 170.. And no, I dont put the pandora on the desk gaming with my index fingers. while lying back holding it, my hands are less strained if the lid is somewhere between open/close. problem then is that sudden movements or using touch screen opens it all up.

Some design or production change that fixes this would be a very nice enhancement. that is my opinion.

problem then is that sudden movements or using touch screen opens it all up.
There was a post recently about adding a few layers of electrical tape to give the screen more friction in these middle positions. I'm considering doing this myself.

There was a post recently about adding a few layers of electrical tape to give the screen more friction in these middle positions. I'm considering doing this myself.
Yes that could help. I hope it will not be necessary on the pyra. It will propably have its own quirks, but hopefully not many of the pandora's.

Yes that could help. I hope it will not be necessary on the pyra. It will propably have its own quirks, but hopefully not many of the pandora's.
Definitely. An upgrade to the hinge design will be much appreciated.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16327-non-destructive-hinge-mod/

You're welcome.

If that's not enough layers, please tell us. My case is a bit damaged, that's why I maybe could save one layer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back