Example from Japan: Better Hinge and Screen Integration

One thing I hate is when closing the lid causes the keys to press against the screen, leaving a sometimes visible impression of dirt and grease on the screen. Some laptops have this problem.

Also, the point of a clamshell design is that the inner stuff is protected when you close it. Against dirt or sand or whatever. It doesn't need to be completely sealed, but having a gap the height of the input controls is way too much.

Ergonomically, a bezel around the lid is better than a bezel around the keyboard.

Aesthetically, I would prefer a more gently sloping (and thus less obvious) border around the lid than on the Pandora. I don't want the screen area to be completely flat (because that means the screen presses against the keyboard when closed, and also the protection of the clamshell is mostly gone), but it would be nice if it can be made to look flat (or rather, gently curved).

Here is what I mean in a quick sketch: the top drawing is how it is on the Pandora (the red is where the screen is), the bottom drawing is what I would like to have on the Pyra if possible (the yellow represents the logo on the back of the lid).

pyralid.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That would look better when open, but worse when closed IMO and harder to fit in a pocket.

What is really ugly and which highlights the border, is the two top corners. Without theses two little pieces of plastic, the border would look much more discreet.

^ But at the same time less durable, since any shock would be notably absorbed by the hinge and screen instead of the case. I'll take small eyesores over loss in durability any day.

Maybe if the lid-base bridging extrusions were curved or slanted? I mean like this (refer to _wb_'s diagrams for reference)

Flush screen to bezel is nice, with as little bezel as possible. But a sun-visor is welcomed.

Its a little bit tricky to do well without gluing it down.

^ But at the same time less durable, since any shock would be notably absorbed by the hinge and screen instead of the case. I'll take small eyesores over loss in durability any day.

Maybe if the lid-base bridging extrusions were curved or slanted? I mean like this (refer to _wb_'s diagrams for reference)
Yes, that is basically what I meant. Something like this: http://draw.to/D2viOAr

(btw that is a practical website to share sketches!)

I think there would be less shock because the hinge will be improved, also there is other ways to limit shocks, with rubber like on laptops or DS.

Yes, that is basically what I meant. Something like this: http://draw.to/D2viOAr
Like a DS...

140520022953323598.png

If the idea is to be able to use Pandora/Pyra laying on a flat surface, why not add some foldable "legs" to the screen instead:

http://draw.to/D37rspR

When not in use the legs can be folded back into the lid.

Anyway, a much easier solution would be to carry a small book with the just the right thickness. :D

1. Is there room in the lid for the legs?
  2. Would that create a case-design nightmare?

To me, the pictures in the OP looks significantly worse than the pandora. Aesthetically, that is. Reminds me of a few double-hinged things like the OmniGo and some HTC phone/pocket PC thing I have in the piles. None of those feel dependable after a few cycles of usage - The friction starts to get uneven, and different "corners" of the hinge moves with different resistance. I realize that modern hinge designs might be better, but that is my association.

And in the name of all that is holy, make a clamshell design that closes. Never mind the shapes of the keys (although those in the picture do look like cheap desk calculator keys, something like this: http://www.jula.se/stor-miniraknare-941050), but make sure there is a bezel/frame/whatever you call it that closes tightly to the bottom part. I don't want the general cruft that bounces around with the pandora in my pocket to get in and nestle amongst the keys/scratch the screen.

What is really ugly and which highlights the border, is the two top corners. Without theses two little pieces of plastic, the border would look much more discreet.
I just noticed that they has been deleted on the Pyra case prototype, that's a huge improvement, it's one of the major points which makes the Pandora look cheap.

I guess with those devices that have no bezel, they either run the touchscreen over the bezel area too and edge it at the edge of the lid.  One cheaper way to simulate that might be to, instead of running the bezel over the LCD would be to make the bezel plastic build up to the same level as the LCD then use an opaque plastic sticker to cover the plastic and the junction between the plastic and the LCD.

But you'd need another way to keep the LCD in place then, and stop it falling out when you close the lid, cos under that scheme it'd only be the sticky plastic holding the LCD.  I guess it might also tend to attract dust at the edge, as stickers tend to do, and wouldn't be great for hackers as it'd not look too good if you ever had to change the LCD.  Overall I don't see the bezel as a particular bother if it's as slim as it looks on the Pyra prototype.

Regarding a hinge that folds flat, as I understand it it would mean you can't have any ports on the back.  That's tricky on a device as small as the Pyra but designed to have as many ports.

I would prefer this over Pandoras hinge anytime.

I still hope, that we don't get this ugly hinge again, although the prototype has it again.

I see no way how such a double hinge design would work good with the shoulder buttons onto the handheld design and so or so, the Pyra Design will not change THAT much to include such an double hinge. It's also better to avoid to much moving parts so keep it simple but rigid and durable. I can imagine that the Pyra hinge will contain more metal parts inside to keep the hinge robust, thicker plastics surrounding these parts and of course better fitting (no paint for example unlike the Pandora has).

The Pyra hinge must be better than the Pandora hinge for sure.

Example of metal internals of an Laptop hinge:

Asus%20A7J%20-%20Hinge.jpg

source: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Asus-A7J-17-inch-Core-Duo-Notebook-Review/Design-Part-II

How about having keys which are flatter than the ones we have on the Pandora ?

Isn't it possible to consider that option since you are now in touch with keymat manufacturers ?  

As for the example I shared above, the keys are certainly quite flat, but do protrude a little and the screen just "sits" on the keys when closed, in a uniform manner. 
A little more flat is ok, but with smaller keys I think it would be best to have some height.  It will suck to try to type on tiny keys that are about the same height as the plastic that is framing them.  I think it is a very bad idea to have the screen touch the keys.  I have seen laptops with outlines of keys scraped on the screen, and it is annoying.  Remember the nubs/face buttons/d-pad.  Those will need to poke out from the case to be used comfortably.

I'll take small eyesores over loss in durability any day.

I still hope, that we don't get this ugly hinge again, although the prototype has it again.
I will choose something ugly and durable over something pretty and fragile every time.  More parts means more chances for a part to fail.  Is the Pandora hinge really that ugly?  It never bothered me.

How about get rid of mah humps, mah humps, instead go with exposed hinges?

You lose a lot less material milling the top half out of a solid block of metal then.

Move the screwhole up and run the hinge screw through it.

If they are on the inside of the speakers, the screw can run through the retaining eye on the L/R button too.

Which means the L or R can be removed without opening the case.

Also, since the screws are no longer underneat the battery cover, it can happen without removing the battery.

There is some dead-space in the case right there on the underside of the PCB. For *dundun   metal threads.

A simple locking nut against the underside of the PCB, with a flat head exposed screw going through from the topside.

The  battery cover latch holes can be used as an inspection bay to align up the nut when you screw it down.

If the hinges could hold a nut and have a screw come in from the backside of the screen assembly to hold that in place, it would be nice. (makes the device fatter)

Have a push-nut that slots into the backside of the screen assembly, and run the screw from the hinge side.

As i see it, having the less wide hinge there instead of the hump means the speaker grille can go farther up, aligning better with the speaker.

Just cant figure how to keep the bottom case-half together... on the port side (get it ;)

Also the hinges need two holes on each sides and on each end.  Maybe thats it.  Wish there was room.

Back