Better Integration of the Screen ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just a thought I'd like to share and discuss. The way the screen will be used on the Pyra looks very much like the current solution on the Pandora - i.e. using a screen cover layer on top of the actual screen. 

While "OK" and functional, it has the unfortunate effect or looking dated in terms of design. Isn't there a better way to integrate the screen in order to have a more "flat surface" for the top cover, on the screen's side ? 

It does not have to be as flat as a mobile phone screen and what's surrounding it, but anything closer to that is better than the current aspect of the cover of the screen in the prototype case. 

What do you guys think ? Do you care about this or this is just me ?

Screen cover layer?

Are you talking about the touchscreen...?

Or are you talking about the surrounding?

That is needed, as it would cause issues the touchscreen (a relative touchscreen can behave eratically outside it's active area)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I meant the plastic part that's surrounding the screen. 

I understand you need that part, but can it be designed a little differently to look more flat ? I.e. could the screen+touchscreen combination be hold tight by supports on the side of the screen instead of a cover on top of it, so that you could have a mostly very flat part to put on top ? 

Maybe it's difficult to describe like that, and pictures would be easier to discuss this.

Bezels are generally a feature of resistive touchscreens.  They've only become less common on capacitative ones because the capacitative surface can be made from glass or hard plastic, so can run across the entire fascia.

I suppose it might be possible to run a resistive plastic surface over the entirety of the lid underside, but I'm not sure how that would work with the tabs, and I'm not actually sure it would look any better (and a custom solution like that would be a lot more expensive).  I'm hopeful that a thinner bezel will look sufficiently modern to do.

If you make it flat, it won't close properly anymore.
I'm not saying the whole surface needs to be flat, but that the part that's covering the screen is a flat as possible, and then you can have a surface that's curving to become larger on the sides to ensure closure.

Again, difficult to explain, let me try to draw something later on. 

I'm fine with the overall screen/lid design of the Pandora, typical clamshell. However, I don't like the cheap looking bezel, the sharp edges on the inside of the lid and the rough transition between outer and inner lid (fel it with your fingers, it's really bad for an 600$ device! ). NDS (lite) has a much more smooth transition there for example, looks way better and not that cheap. So I agree that the design can be improved there.

Look at the 3DS XL bezel :

shockwave-flash-chrome-plug-in-host.jpg

It's very thin on the top screen and made to be very subtle.

As much as possible, the screen on the Pyra should try to aim at something as thin as that. That's the better integration I am talking about.

They get a flat surface because they have a plastic cover in front of the screen which brings it to the same height as the bezel around it.

However, that doesn't work with a touchscreen.

How about the bezel style of the lower screen that has a touch screen ? It's not the best looking either but it's at least cleaner that what we have on the Pandora and what's planned for the Pyra as far as I could tell from the case.

4fe9e7c5a75bc2.jpg

I understand you need to work with constraints, but could you propose a few different options for the bezel shape ?

If the bezel fits better than the one on the Pandora I will be happy.

I'm a proud 3DS XL owner.

It's a great device I think (Buttons, plastic...)

They did one mistake: The screen.

You see the ri, going around the touchscreen?

If you close the lid the rubbers on top are not enough to prevent the top screen touching that lid.

With little dust in between the top screen will be damaged over time.

It happened to me.

The screen is visible damaged.

Recessed buttons vs recessed screen, don't think it matters as far as functionality is concerned. Unless the case becomes a lot more ergonomic the design is fine as is. The slimmer bezel and bigger screen has gone a long ways to make it look a lot less "late 90's" Pyra isn't going to ever win any beauty competitions and it fixed every major concern I've heard as far as real design issues. Well except for the hand stabby and hopefully that will be the next thing to fix.

I have marked the areas that annoy me onto the current Pandora lid/bezel in red, so I show my former concerns in a graphical way. Again, the actual area around the screen is OK imho. But the transition between the 2 parts of the lid looks just cheap.

Front2.jpg

Yes... but what's the advantage here...? Doesn't look more slim ;)
Honestly, I don't think there is any advantage. I'm with TrashyMG: As long as you can fix the bezel so that it lays flat against the screen without gaps, it should be much better than the Pandora's bezel.

-God Ginrai

I have marked the areas that annoy me onto the current Pandora lid/bezel in red, so I show my former concerns in a graphical way. Again, the actual area around the screen is OK imho. But the transition between the 2 parts of the lid looks just cheap.
That area will change completely, as it needs to fit with the more rounded edges we'll get.

Back