Better Media Player

jhudson38

Still Fresh
I have been tryign to use the Caanoo's built in video player and also MPlayer but both have major problems when trying to watch a full length movie. Does anyone else know how to better utilize these or have an idea of a good one to port?

I re-encode my vids, even though many will work decently, to guarantee compatibility.
Between MPlayer and the Caanoo movie player, I feel pretty well covered.

Well when I play videos on them like Donnie Darko for example, the sound is messed up and the video lags. With the Caanoo's player there are problems with the color for some reason and it displays movies weirdly. So maybe I should reformat the movies?

I'm a Linux user, and I use WinFF to convert the video to AVI using either "MS Compatible AVI" or "XviD Fullscreen" presets, and setting the dimensions to 320 by 240. If I need subtitles, I either extract them from the original video, find them online, or make my own, then I use mencoder to add them on by running this command:
mencoder video.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -sub subtitles.ssa -vf scale=320:240 -o video_s.avi

I haven't had any problems with these videos in either mplayer of the included media player. I think that both WinFF and mencoder are available for Windows. Normally, a standard AVI file would work, but you should rescale it before playing it because if you don't you may notice that the video may look "checkered" with the included media player.

Eh...

Its this far into the Caanoo's lifecycle and we still don't have a decent media player for it... :(

I hope we get something nice eventually though.
(especially since I'm going on holiday in a few months! XD)

Ive compared the two media players here in an old video of mine. I use avidemux to convert my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CFJ_LHspSM

lnx64 said:
Ive compared the two media players here in an old video of mine. I use avidemux to convert my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CFJ_LHspSM
I found your review very informative. So much so that it actually played a small role in swaying me away from the Caanoo. Low res (320x240) and low quality xvids just don't cut it for me, especially when the only two players either can't rewind or suffer from tearing\dithering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back