Biggest Bargain/expenditure

mali said:
I've seen the report but decided against moving the thread ;)
Why? It is quite clearly in the wrong section.

And yeah wermy, I know the feeling. I love to make money from little effort. It must be because of my Jewish background :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just bought a Sega Game Gear 20 minutes ago.

Game Gear $6.99
AC Adapter $4.99

Game that came with it: "Tale Spin"

I want to find some more games for it... It will keep my mind off the Pandora, and I will have something to use on the ferry.

I highly, highly recommend tracking down a Master Gear Converter (a device which allows you to play Master System games on a Game Gear), too, if you have any spare money to do so.

It opens up the machine to running a lot of stuff that was Master System-only, such as the excellent Asterix (just plain Asterix - not any of its sequels, which had subtitles), and the superior original version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (a Game Gear version of this does exist, but it meddles with some of the geography, and simply doesn't look or play as good due to the much more constrained display, so it's not worth your time :p).

Prometheus said:
I highly, highly recommend tracking down a Master Gear Converter (a device which allows you to play Master System games on a Game Gear), too, if you have any spare money to do so.

It opens up the machine to running a lot of stuff that was Master System-only, such as the excellent Asterix (just plain Asterix - not any of its sequels, which had subtitles), and the superior original version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (a Game Gear version of this does exist, but it meddles with some of the geography, and simply doesn't look or play as good due to the much more constrained display, so it's not worth your time
tongue.gif
).

Yeah I actually found a master gear converter on Craigslist and they have like 50 games, and lots of master system games! ZOMG I want it. heres the ad:
http://vancouver.en....1841992970.html

I hope they email me back.
oh yeah, they have a Nomad and genesis games.... Im in heaven. screw the pandora lol.

"If its retro, it's for me!" (I think you all know where this is from!)

When I saw the Game Gear laying with a pile of remotes, 2600 games, and NES games in a second hand store, I immediately grabbed it and tried it out.
The screen is a bit scratched up though. also: its compatible with the TV tuner. I can tell by the serial number. for the next few months i will probably haunt all of the thrift stores and retro gaming stores i can find. im probably going to bring it to school... a couple of my friends have gameboys/gameboy colors and I'll show them this beast of a game system and probably rant about how it is better...

edit:

AH $#17!!!!! It wont turn on anymore! I was playing TaleSpin and it suddenly powered down. now it wont stay on for more than a second.

Time for some capacitor replacement :( I need to buy a soldering iron and some capacitors. Luckily I've done a lot of soldering in the past year.

My biggest bargain (not really a bargain, but a gift):
An SX-64 :D
http://oldcomputers.net/sx64.html

Oh I always sigh with happiness when I look at it :)

My biggest real bargain:
Two Amiga 1200's for 25 Euro's

They were really, really, really dirty (with some kind of grease all over it), but after I cleaned them, they were worth it :)

lardo4life said:
Com64 said:

http://victoria.en.c...1861834742.html

I take it this is your ad then?
tongue.gif

I've actually got a few SMS games if you're interested!

I'm also in Victoria
tongue.gif

HAHAHA thats it. what do you have?

My game gear is kind of broken... it works when it wants to. I inspected the capacitors for any leakage, and couldn't find any, but I notice some bleeding on the screen. Know of anywhere I can get some capacitors (in victoria) and a soldering iron? If you have a soldering iron, can I borrow it? thx.

also: the brightness sometimes bets brighter then dimmer in "surges"

im too affraid to use it now, lol.

tankgirl said:
My biggest real bargain:

I found an SX-1 expansion for my CD32 in Cash Generator. It was going for like 15 quid coz nobody had a clue what it was. When I got it back it appeared that it was only half working. I managed to deduce it was a faulty CIA chip so I ripped one out of an old Miggy 500 I had lying around.

lardo4life said:
Had you posted a day earlier, I would have had a Master Gear converter to sell you, I sold it yesterday
laugh.gif

Anyway, taking this to PM!

Thats too bad, I REALLY want one. But I also need a portable power solution, like a battery pack, or a bunch of rechargeables.
I found someone in Surrey, luckily, who might have one. lol, and now I want a Nomad... is it like this with all retro gamers?

Pleng said:
tankgirl said:
My biggest real bargain:

I found an SX-1 expansion for my CD32 in Cash Generator. It was going for like 15 quid coz nobody had a clue what it was. When I got it back it appeared that it was only half working. I managed to deduce it was a faulty CIA chip so I ripped one out of an old Miggy 500 I had lying around.

Haha, nice. The thrift store I go to to look for games has vacuum tubes for sale for some reason. I don't think they even know what they are, lol.

Paid 800 euros for a pandora on ebay.then i got a one nubber which i kept. i then sold my original one back on ebay to someone from the german forums for 700 euros.Pandoramania

Back