Birdhunt - Need Ideas And Testing!

Imerion

Hello everyone! I just finished a touch-screen based game for the F200. Problem is, I don't have one myself so I am not certain if it works. Could someone help me test it and tell me how the touch-screen controls work?

I also need ideas for the game. It was mostly made as a test, but if people like it I might continue to work on it for a while. Here are the stuff I am still planning to implement :

* Non-touchscreen controls for all other GP2X units.
* Background music.
* Some better graphics. Especially the birds needs a redo.

And here are a few ideas of what could be implemented, if anyone wants it :

* Different levels with different backdrops and obstacles.
* Different types of birds, or perhaps something else to shoot at. (Targets, balloons, etc)

Any feedback is appreciated. More info can be found in the included ReadMe.

screenshot.png

http://www.freewebtown.com/Imerion/BirdHunt_GP.zip

I just tried the game on my F200.

The touchscreen works, but the game lets you continue to shoot even if you have no bullets left. And the combo counter acts weird, it randomly resets.

Anyway it's a very good game! Keep it going!

I also tried it on my F-200.

The touchscreen works great, but like what dj jack commented, you could still keep firing even though you no longer have ammo. The combo meter doesn't work properly, it doesn't reset when you missed.

I think you should add a reload delay or reload limit, since the reloading time is instantaneous that you could just keep pressing the reload button and not run out of ammo (assuming that the ammo left is properly working).

Add also an indicator to how much time left until the combo meter would reset.

Those you mentioned that could be added should definitely be added. ;) Adding more targets, obstacles, items, and game mechanics (like a losing condition) will make this game better. :D

Keep up the good work. :D

I don't have a F200, but I just wanted to say that I really like the backdrop graphic, it's like a pixel painting, very cool style :) More backdrops would definitely be nice to have. I'm looking forward to playing this, I'm a big fan of Altitude and Beatbox!

Thanks for all nice comments!

The touchscreen works, but the game lets you continue to shoot even if you have no bullets left. And the combo counter acts weird, it randomly resets.

That is strange. When I test it with the mouse I cannot shot without bullets. But Ill look into it. I know about the Combo counter though. That will be fixed!

I think you should add a reload delay or reload limit, since the reloading time is instantaneous that you could just keep pressing the reload button and not run out of ammo (assuming that the ammo left is properly working).

That is a good idea. How about less reloads equals a higher score bonus at the end of the round?

Add also an indicator to how much time left until the combo meter would reset.

That's a good idea. I could make a small bar at the top of the screen. (That would probably be easier to notice in the middle of all action than a number).

Those you mentioned that could be added should definitely be added. wink.gif Adding more targets, obstacles, items, and game mechanics (like a losing condition) will make this game better. biggrin.gif

Perhaps I should have made a Virtua Cop-style game instead. That would leave many possibilities. ;) However, my current plan is something like the shooting-game in "Wii Play". It has five rounds with different kind of targets for each. The bird-part could be one of many different shooting-sequences and you can either choose to play all of them or play them one at a time for training. All that takes is a simple GUI where you can choose between them. It would also need to keep track of high-scores.

Oh and how the hell do I exit from the game? XD wink.gif

Sorry, forgot that part. Will certainly be fixed. :D

I don't have a F200, but I just wanted to say that I really like the backdrop graphic, it's like a pixel painting, very cool style smile.gif More backdrops would definitely be nice to have. I'm looking forward to playing this, I'm a big fan of Altitude and Beatbox!

Thanks! I was mostly experimenting with a Mode 7 backdrop. The grass looks a lot better when there is twice as much of it. But the GP2X could not handle that at a good speed. If I go with the multi-shooter, Wii Play-like, idea that would give a greater range of possible backgrounds, since I would not be limited to places where there are birds. ;)

Actually I discovered that I can fire even with no bullets by tapping on the screen but not by pressing X

Back