Bittorent distribution

I like this idea a *lot* and would absolutely love to have a torrent client on my Pandora, getting the latest releases every day. I have 2x64gig SD cards in my Pandoras these days, so I'm quite set .. at least for the immediate future.. :)

:wub:

lots of bit torrent xenophobia in this thread, i have to say i'm very surprised.

bit torrent is no more complex than http for downloading files. you don't even need to install a bit torrent client, standalone utorrent does the job perfectly. click the .torrent file on the website, firefox will ask you if you want to open it with utorrent, OK, browse to destination folder, OK. that's it. in fact bit torrent offers a lot more felixbility in that the client can help you keep track of your downloads and destination folders afterwards. in some cases bit torrent is even easier and less risky than http, since you dont have bogus files offered on bit torrent* like you do on random http rapidshare type sites.

*i'm talking private sites, not thepiratebay or something like that - which nobody has any excuse for using anyway!

as for this torrent, i think it's a great idea if done properly. i'll gladly create and maintain dat files for each iteration of the pack.

it wont be a large download, if it's updated weekly the download will be a few megabytes each time.

people like to hoarde stuff, me included. i have complete software, artwork and rom sets for every system since the nes (except current gen consoles) and i'd love to add pandora to my collection.

because i am an update addict! that's why it should be updated regulary

You should feel free to not download any such goodies if they get released.

i think alot of English speakers are afraid somebody will bust down their door and arest their pandora when they only think about bittorent.

That's good for you, but i don't live in such a country.

This technology (yes torrents) reshaped our isp market so much that now i feel stupid for being capped at 200Gb on a maxed out *regular* adsl line.

Isp's are starting to give away free digitial tv for signing a contract.

TV stations, actually buy and air *NEW* shows, instead of old crap reruns now.

If you want to create it Yannick go ahead, you could probably even write a script to poll the appstore for new files/updates and add them.

I don't think this is something that's really useful to most people though, so whether EvilDragon adds it is up to him.

Actually maybe EvilDragon could just keep a (gzipped) path listing available?

That would make it much easier to write a script to make a torrent automatically.

I'm not exactly proficient with bash, but I think this script would update a dir against an external gzipped list.

It's kind of a hack, and there's probably a better way to do it.

You'd have to add a script using something like transmission to create a torrent and seed it afterwards.

Although something like this would do what Yannick wants without bittorrent.

THIS SCRIPT IS NOT TESTED, DO NOT USE IT!

Code:
wget "$PNDROOT$EXTERNAL.gz"

gzip -df "$EXTERNAL.gz"

ls $TARGETDIR > $LOCAL

diff $LOCAL $EXTERNAL |

grep -E "^[<>]" |

sed - -e "

s/^< \(.*\)$/rm \1/;

s/^> \(.*\)$/wget $PNDROOT\1 -o $TARGETDIR\1/;" |

bash

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the days of gp2xtorrents .. that was wonderful .. I hope we can replicate it somehow with Pandora ..

Great idea, I think it would be useful to be able to download everything in one torrent.

Wait I don't get it. You guys want ALL of the software on your pandora at once? Why? Then you woun't even be able to save anything else to your card :p Besides there is lots of apps that most people woun't use. Personally I don't see the point.

Back