GP2X Blender 3d Game Engine?

green1152

Still Fresh
Link to the sourcecode: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Source_Code.12.0.html

This is a pretty decent, and free game engine that has many games already on it. The idea came to me when I was just picking up the blender 3d modeling program again for making an animation short..

Anyone want to check it out and see if it's legit enough for the gp2x?

I think it'd be nice to have an open source 3d game engine running on a small handheld. It'd open up a lot of game possibilities.

requirements:

300 MHz CPU
128 MB Ram
Open GL Graphics Card with 8 MB Ram

would be pushing it, i imagine it uses opengl for all its hardware rendering, so to write a softeware renderer and still have mhz left for the program is a lot to ask..

also porting it would be difficult as its a very complex program

i think there is a lot of overhead with using blender for interactive/games as i would imagine the bulk of the application is running at the same time.

The game engine is actually based around the python language, which happens to already be somewhat ported with pygame (correct me if i'm wrong?). I'm not going to pretend i know much about the project, other than it is the blender engine coupled with python.

i think there is a lot of overhead with using blender for interactive/games as i would imagine the bulk of the application is running at the same time.

Not true , Blender can make runtimes executables that contain only the game. :)

But with no software rendering engine it would be very difficult to make it work. :(

Now if someone could make a game engine that supported the .blend file type we might have something. B)

i have to say I didn't really look into blender3d before i made my assumptions...

but still, if a software opengl system is ported (which i'm sure it will) there will probably be more suitable and easier game engines that could be ported to the gp2x.

woogal posted on Dec 12 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
Why don't you just use one of the many open source 3D engines that are already running on the GP2X and don't need GL?

Because Blender3d isn't just and engine its also an interface to build the game.
Model it->Script it->Run it
All from the same interface.

Its not the best solution by far but its good for quickies :) on both windows and linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Blender3d isn't just and engine its also an interface to build the game.
Model it->Script it->Run it
All from the same interface.

Its not the best solution by far but its good for quickies smile.gif on both windows and linux.

Actually, it's more like
Model it->Script it->Compile executable or run it.
Yes, i know python is an interpereted language, but blender has the capability to generate self contained executables.

I'm guessing this will be more considered in the future when the gp2x is more developed?

green1152 posted on Dec 13 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
I'm guessing this will be more considered in the future when the gp2x is more developed?

Perhaps it will be best to wait and see if someone will implement the OpenGL API on the GP2X. Then we will see the 3D performance we can get out of it. Only then will you be able to port the Blender engine as it needs to run on top of the OpenGL implementation.

I'm guessing performance won't be stellar, so any Blender based games will have to have the models and textures dumbed down to get a decent framerate. But the first problem is getting OpenGL on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back