GP2X Blender Question

Game_over

Game Developer
I wanted to know is there anybody using blender for modelling and testing the model on one of the 3dveiwer/engines availible for GP2X? I know there was talk of the posibility of porting the game engine to the handheld. I just want to know is Blender a usable external app for creating models as part of ones setup for creating a game for the system. Maybe exporting the models out to .3ds or something?

using blender as a modelling package could be of use, with either 3d models or pre rendered, but the blender game engine is too advanced for our little handheld (also needing a software renderer)

I use Blender for modelling in most if not all my games. But seriously the game engine is not that good to begin with and chokes in many low poly scenes on the PC with a good graphics card. Its just not practical. But as a modelling and animating package it is a great piece of software and can export to any format via python :D

Thanks alot for you guy's replies I really needed to know becuase I needed a cheap/free modeling solution for project 19.

Thanks again.

I'm not much of a modeller (ok, I suck) but Anim8or has been good enough for me (the exportable formats are easy to make/find loaders for).

You'll find all the standard exporters come standard with Blender (.3ds, .ase, .lwo, etc etc etc)

If you need more, then usually they are only a google search away (md2, md3 etc)

Also if you need to create a new format just for you own there are plenty of python tutorials on the net that will show you step by step how to make your own exporter for Blender.

BTW once you've learned the interface, you'll be able to make low poly stuff very quickly in Blender, or that is my experience at least.

Dingo

P.S. I have video tutorials for using Blender with the Torque Eninge (PC) here: http://www.users.on.net/~symes/gamedev/vid.../videotuts.html

The first few will help with learning the interface - just don't worry about the Torque specific parts. Plus there are heaps of other video tutorials out there, google and youtube might help you there.

Back