Blender Port?

linc186

Still Fresh
(I'd do this myself...if only I had a clue...) Can someone please port Blender (a 3D modeling program) to the Pandora.
here is the source code: www.blender.org/download/source-code/

Forum search reveals many Blender threads. ;) Here's a recent one:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55604-compile-blender-for-pandora;-need-help-pls

We also have a wiki page for port requests:

http://pandorawiki.org/Port_Requests

...and a thread if you're not keen on editing wiki pages:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47877&view=getlastpost

(Sometimes you'll get shouted at for bumping old threads, but that one is an exception.)

Also, replaced your ! with a ? in the thread title. Questions that look like announcements tend to ruffle feathers a little. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitel said:
Are you serious? Handheld devices are not very suitable for 3D modeling IMHO.
For the pandora its very sutable, it has a full keyboard and touchscreen for accuracy.

9 topics in 4 days, please don't be lazy and do some research yourself...

It will have to somehow move from OpenGL to OpenGL ES, in addition to scaling the GUI down to 800 x 480, so it might be a lot of work, so nobody wants to start on it.

I mean, I wouldn't want to start on it.

Hey I JUST got a great idea! You guys should make a NDS emu for the Pandora. It's screen is PERFECT! Also, a dreamcast emu. I'd do it if I could code, but you should do it. Also, let's backlight the keys and add a rumble function. Hey, has anyone else realized we should add a simcard slot to make this thing a phone? Hell, what am I talking about, just port WINE to it so I can runz all my win95 games and every emulator ever. Double thumbs up. Monocle smile!

linc186 said:
For the pandora its very sutable, it has a full keyboard and touchscreen for accuracy.
1) The touchscreen and stylus are not nearly accurate or nice enough to use it for modeling.
2) The keyboard is nowhere near usable for something like Blender. You would end up with knots where your fingers were.

I wholeheartedly support the effort to get a 3D modelling system running on the Pandora .. just not sure that Blender is the right tool for this right now. However, if someone does get past the "can't do it" stages into "holy shit, it just may work", I'd be very happy to test things out ..

I wonder if there aren't some other modelling tools worth considering, though.

Google SketchUp should be usable on the Pandora, if it only was open source...

banjeed said:
Hey I JUST got a great idea! You guys should make a NDS emu for the Pandora. It's screen is PERFECT! Also, a dreamcast emu. I'd do it if I could code, but you should do it. Also, let's backlight the keys and add a rumble function. Hey, has anyone else realized we should add a simcard slot to make this thing a phone? Hell, what am I talking about, just port WINE to it so I can runz all my win95 games and every emulator ever. Double thumbs up. Monocle smile!
Can we keep it more on-topic, please? The poster of this thread is quite new around here, and perhaps, just maybe, may not be aware of two years' worth of forum question-asking history. ;)

@linc186 - You may want to acquaint yourself with the forum's search facility (up in the top-right corner of most forum pages, there's a search box - if you click on the "Advanced" link next to it, you can fine-tune your search, such as to look only in the Pandora section for example), and, in cases where that doesn't work (the forum search doesn't allow search terms of three letters or less, for example), how to use Google to search instead (in this case, you visit Google, type your search terms, and then add site:gp32x.de/board after them).

3_6.jpg

Windows CE version.

Does it work well on Windows CE, SomeGuy? (If you've used it. If not, never mind. :lol: )

Spirit said:
linc186 said:
1) The touchscreen and stylus are not nearly accurate or nice enough to use it for modeling.
2) The keyboard is nowhere near usable for something like Blender. You would end up with knots where your fingers were.
not necessarily. You can assign the right nub to mouse wheel so you can zoom into each joint of the 3d model and then zoom out once you've clicked it, and then move it/edit it with the keyboard I.e, g for grab) and i think the keyboard will work well, the buttons are close together and I heard the keyboard is fantastic and besides spacebar, alt, control, etc, its a standard qwerty keyboard that the average hand can stretch completely across. I think it will work fine.

Prometheus said:
Does it work well on Windows CE, SomeGuy? (If you've used it. If not, never mind. :lol: )

I used it years back when it first came out. I seem to recall it worked reasonably okay (Blender itself is a huge mess of keyboard and mouse shortcuts).

I'll give it a second whirl since I have another Ipaq laying around (£10 bargain!).

Back