Blog Update 2/15/09

'mali' said:
Shouldn't it be pönis or something :lol:
In finnish it could be either penis or kyrpä key :lol:
But seriously guys, who thinks I should write "hyvää päivää" (formal greeting during day) like "hyvaeae paeivaeae"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaeryc: You should not. And the same for me - I shouldn't type digraph as in medieval. We (non English folks) really need quickly accessed key for typing national characters. It may be Compose, AltGr or Dead Key, but it definitely must be easy to use. I can map it anywhere (ie game button).

hyvaeae paeivaeae....LOL

I suppose that is a bit daft, but as has been pointed out by the willy pictures, there are plenty of ideas for mapping characters to different buttons. Ok, it's not going to be as fast as typing on a standard (for your country) keyboard, but when was it ever going to be on the pandora?

'mali' said:
If there is no definitive German layout in the works and soon to be available when Pandora is delivered, my Pandora's box is going straight to eBay. Upgrading my N800 to N900 instead of Pandora would be no problem and from an UMPCer's point of view not the worst thing to do.
I will try to be polite, but it's not easy. There will be German layout, and the news appeared first on German forums, so you should actually know better than me (because I do not speak German). I am sure someone can find you the link/citation - I cannot find it now and do not have time for it anyway.

Oh, and I like this new proposed layout.

If I may have one suggesting - Wifi (fn+H) an brigthness (fn+U , fn+I) functions looked better (were more obvious) on inversed background.

'Gaeryc' said:
But seriously guys, who thinks I should write "hyvää päivää" (formal greeting during day) like "hyvaeae paeivaeae"?
I LOL'd at that :D. Seriously though, would be nice if there were like no Fn-markings on some keys to remap without making it a bit awkward (to press one thing (£) and another thing comes up (ö)).

Since several people has typed what symbols they have in their number row, add this one to the collection:
CODE
|@#~½¬{[]} + AltGR
!"·$%&/() = + Shift

And I plan to remap whatever is needed to be able to have the acute accent (´) in his own key, in order to type áéíóú with only 2 keypresses, and the ñ on a dedicated key. (Capital versions will need Shift key too, but that's obviously obvious)

And I like the idea of the compose key... but I'd like it more with a single keypress... After some experimenting with the actual device I'm sure I'll find my perfect layout. But we can keep discussing. Seriously. Everything can get better, specially the proposed layout for Pandora. muhahaha...

'Bramrash' said:
hyvaeae paeivaeae....LOL

I suppose that is a bit daft, but as has been pointed out by the willy pictures, there are plenty of ideas for mapping characters to different buttons. Ok, it's not going to be as fast as typing on a standard (for your country) keyboard, but when was it ever going to be on the pandora?
And now we just have to tell everyone else the same thing :lol:
It's sad that there is war when this is simple thing: some people really need special letters, so they should be instructed how to remap the keys and or to buy localised keys like those that ED promised for german speaking people.

Urjaman: Kyllä siihen tottuu jos kirjoittaa paljonkin suomeksi. Eihän sitä voi ikuisesti tuijotella näppäimistöä peruskirjaimia kirjoittaessa.

'Bronek' said:
I will try to be polite, but it's not easy. There will be German layout, and the news appeared first on German forums, so you should actually know better than me (because I do not speak German). I am sure someone can find you the link/citation - I cannot find it now and do not have time for it anyway.
Heh, I should know it, because I've translated that quote and posted it here, like I post every noteworthy stuff from the German board here ;)
My problem was, that I needed a reassurement that there will be a localized version.
Just a short explanation.
1. Layout included umlauts for several months.
2. Some people start a loud moaning.
3. Umlauts are removed.
4. Localized layout is promised.
5. People start moaning about localized layout and want one standard for all.
6. *me waits for reaction*
7. Localized version confirmed.
8. :)
I hope you understand at least a little bit, that I wasn't entirely sure, that the devs wouldn't cancel a localized version because of the continued moaning.

'Gaeryc' said:
In finnish it could be either penis or kyrpä key :lol:
Anyone who talks like that should sue their vasectomy doctor.

;)

I'm digging the direction taken in this newest keypad layout.
I can easily live with this as shown.

Any further improvement will be icing on the cake.
Also, unlike the OQO and N-810, we have plastic areas around each key.
Brother P-touch labels could be easily printed and cut into a strip to sit above the top key row for your favorite keymapping.

I hope the contrast pics aren't serious

contr.png

Also it seems like a shame that every keyboard suggestion made in the past has been completely disregarded.

'greendots' said:
Also it seems like a shame that every keyboard suggestion made in the past has been completely disregarded.
+1

But quite happy with this new proposed default layout :)

Also my comments on this wip layout:
- I guess all functions keys (ctrl, alt, shift, altgr, fn) will be sticky type, otherwise quite a number of standard combinations will be hard to get (and anyway there is this limitation of max 2 keys at a time if I remember correctly)
- I think that the symbols on the top keys would be better placed on the qwerty line, as would be easier to reach. Effectively, the numbered keys line of classic keyboard disappears, and numbers / Fnumbers are gathered together at the top, which is ok, but it seems odd to separate some symbols compared to others ; for instance the * button is probably something quite used, yet at the top buttons it may not be that convenient
- Why not shuffling around some symbols if it does help, but I am not convinced the current wip layout is the most convenient one; for instance, I would try to keep + - * / ^ = closer together.
- I still think that uppercase letters should be placed top left on the keys, as normal keyboards (at least my logitech one, and microsoft ones from pictures I see on the net), as it's a representation of the shifted state ; same comment for the top keys, seems odd to me to have the shifted state shown on a lower right position of the key (especially for the DEL)
- Is 1 Fn key a limitation you have or would 2 Fn keys be a possibility ?
- What are L / R buttons used for and are they mappable as well ?

No matter what keyboard layout they choose, someone somewhere is going to be unhappy. I personally think that the proposed one is fine.

'greendots' said:
I hope the contrast pics aren't serious

contr.png

Contrast? Are you thinking Gameboy here? :lol:

It's obviously screen backlight brightness. Which is VERY handy to adjust on the fly to match the ambiance lighting around you, as well as to lower it when your low on battery to get just that little bit more juice out of it. ;)

I don't think its that bad, and yes some of cosurgis changes have been adapted. I would enjoy cosurgis better, but i understand why these choices were made.

For the most part it looks great, though I still lament the basically inaccessible ctrl and alt buttons. Ah well, after a good deal of testing and maybe some remapping I am sure I will be very pleased at this point and am grateful for the continued discussion.

Are they inaccessible? I think they're in a good spot. Either thumb can get to them, so ctrl-a and ctrl-l should be equally easy to hit. Unlike shift-d. *eep*

'greendots' said:
They have not. I checked them.
However, most had the problem that important keys were in very uncomfy-to-press places.
(i.e. the Fn Key on the right side and something like / also on the right side, which is terrible for internet browsing).

Last edited:
Is there any chance of a keymat without the most of the fn graphics? I feel strongly about it being better to not have explicitly printed characters than to have to remap something that already have a printed character for that combination of keys.

Back